DTaP Encephalopathy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
showurhorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard or experience Encephalopathy associated with the DTaP vaccine?

I have posted recently on another thread about my 15 month old DD having neuropathy. We still have not had her MRI, but after alot of rersearch I have come across some info about DTaP induced Encephalopathy. Not much just a mention that it can cause Encephalopathy.

DD started having strange physical symptoms since around 8-10 weeks old. She was vax 8 weeks w/ all normal vax for that age including DTaP. Her symptoms have progressed. Most recent foot drop, side leg swing, and refusal to stand on her heels.
She had her 3 DTap @ 12 months. There has been rapid progression since about 13 1/2 months old.
She also had 1st MMR @ 12 months. I have delayed 15 month vax by gut feeling. Funny thing is I didn't research Encephalopathy/vaccination injury until I had already decided to delay vax.
Question if this is a DTaP injury could symptoms become worse everytime vax. I mean if it is an immunity issue.

I read on Vaccination Injury report from the CDC that the injuries are pretty much w/in 72 hours. DD didn't have a reaction expect swollen red area at the site of injection.

I really don't know to much about vaccination injuries/negative reactions.

I wished I have educated myself more before vax my 3 kiddos. I just followed the norm.

My 12 yr old DD has autoimmune issues now I also wonder if this is a cause. She was also premature and thet still vax @ birth.


Any thoughts?

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

showurhorns is offline  
#2 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have many thoughts, but first want to say how sorry I am about your DD.

Of course there is no way to "prove" what is happening is related to vaccines, but I don't believe in coincidences and I have heard your story and hundreds of others like it too many times. If your child was vaccinated on schedule at 8 weeks, it really is immpossible to tell what component of which vaccine could be causing or contributing to her symptoms. It could be the DTaP, but it could be others too. There are dozens of ingredients in vaccines that they really have never studied and have no idea what effect they have on the human body and the immune system of human beings, let alone infants. You also mentioned the MMR at 12 months along with the 3rd DTaP, both of these are fingered as being two of the most reactive vaccines that kids get.

Quote:
Question if this is a DTaP injury could symptoms become worse everytime vax. I mean if it is an immunity issue
Yes, vax reactions tend to be progressive

Quote:
I read on Vaccination Injury report from the CDC that the injuries are pretty much w/in 72 hours
IMO this is a load of crap. The medical community only looks for severe immediate reactions post vaccination. Anything else reported after that time period is discounted as "unrelated". Doesn't mean that it is.

My advice is this. STOP!! At least do not continue until you have educated yourself about vaccines in general and vax reactions. You said yourself you don't know much about it. I would also get your DD to an ND or DAN doctor to try and start a detox protocol. If this is from vaccines, getting the crap out of her system can halt and possible reverse what is happening. Our ND succesfully treats children who have had vax reacyions of all kinds, including neurological symptoms. If you research and decide to keep going you can always do that later. I highly doubt any doc you have seen thus far about your DD's issues have even consdidered this to be vaccine related, and this will likely continue. Good luck and I hope you can find some sort of resolution

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
 
member234098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No comments, except to say, 2.

You can read Marge Grant's book, A Stolen Life whose son had a reaction to the Quadragen vaccine in 1961, a DPT+polio vaccine that is no longer offered. Unfortunately, this happened a generation before VAERS.

Personally, I am of the opinion that any modern neurological or autoimmune problems that are idiopathic in origin are rooted in vaccine reactions. But, then, who am I to surmise such things?

Vaccine reactions are as old as vaccines.
member234098 is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Jugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Encephalopathy is hard to diagnose because it a syndrome with a wide range of symptoms and levels of severity, and there's really no accurate lab testing that can be done. In my son's case, it presented as a very high fever (105 degrees) and lethargy, for which we followed the doctor's advice and gave Tylenol to keep the fever down. Within a day or so his temperature was normal or slightly warm, but shortly afterward came a change in personality and eating habits. After his autism diagnosis (2.5 years later) we began biomedical treatments, which helped reverse some of the damage caused by encephalopathy.

Quote:
Question if this is a DTaP injury could symptoms become worse everytime vax.
Yes, it can. It wasn't until the third round that my son has a reaction.


 

 

Jugs is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
 
AurorasMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the medical opinions we received from my daughters reaction, it is believed that the DTaP caused brain inflammation (Along with WEEKS of screaming UNCONSOLABLY... 6 hours straight after her 2 month vaxes...), which put pressure on a vessel in her basal ganglia and in return burst the vessel.

Her brain was DEFINATELY swollen, she was only 8 weeks old and would ball her hands into a fist and press them against her head and SCREAM like she was being killed. It brings shivers to me just remembering it!
AurorasMommy is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
 
nataliachick7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, we stopped vaxing due to encephalitis from dtap. not worth it to me.

DS 5-11-06
nataliachick7 is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 PM
 
claddaghmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showurhorns View Post
Has anyone heard or experience Encephalopathy associated with the DTaP vaccine?

I have posted recently on another thread about my 15 month old DD having neuropathy. We still have not had her MRI, but after alot of rersearch I have come across some info about DTaP induced Encephalopathy. Not much just a mention that it can cause Encephalopathy.

DD started having strange physical symptoms since around 8-10 weeks old. She was vax 8 weeks w/ all normal vax for that age including DTaP. Her symptoms have progressed. Most recent foot drop, side leg swing, and refusal to stand on her heels.
She had her 3 DTap @ 12 months. There has been rapid progression since about 13 1/2 months old.
She also had 1st MMR @ 12 months. I have delayed 15 month vax by gut feeling. Funny thing is I didn't research Encephalopathy/vaccination injury until I had already decided to delay vax.
Question if this is a DTaP injury could symptoms become worse everytime vax. I mean if it is an immunity issue.



Any thoughts?
My thoughts: you almost word for word described me. My mom finally got scared enough to skip the 15month (also helped that we got restationed and moved).

right around 2yrs I got a "catch up" schedule which means I got everything and then some.

Had to be rescusitated in the room and seizures started immediately after.

I didn't see any real improvement or gain milestones back for almost a year (the time it took her to find and afford DAN/chelation).


Sorry about your luck.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
claddaghmom is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
 
showurhorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorasMommy View Post
From the medical opinions we received from my daughters reaction, it is believed that the DTaP caused brain inflammation (Along with WEEKS of screaming UNCONSOLABLY... 6 hours straight after her 2 month vaxes...), which put pressure on a vessel in her basal ganglia and in return burst the vessel.

Her brain was DEFINATELY swollen, she was only 8 weeks old and would ball her hands into a fist and press them against her head and SCREAM like she was being killed. It brings shivers to me just remembering it!



POOR BABY! Has she had any permanent damage? I know that scream!

DD was always "colic", but by 8 weeks she started screaming for no apparent reason. She always had her hands to her ears. Dr tried to tell me was a comfort thing because she had no infection. She soon after began kicking her legs simotaneously non-stop at night. Very unusal behavior. I was constantly at Pedi because "something" was wrong. Most of the time they found nothing. This is my 3rd child I know crying 24/7 and not sleeping was not normal. But I was the crazy mom!
When she started eating solids she began screaming it seemed when she swallowed. We have had feeding issuses ever since.
About 6 months she got tubes because ENT thought pressure in her ears could be causing her pain. She had a few infections and more than a few times of fluild on drums.
She improved some, except extreme sleeping issues, very restless.

I finally saw a new pedi and she tried helping find out what was wrong. We went to a GI Dr to rule out silent GERD. She(Pedi) is also the one who sent me to ENT.
At that time she also suggested Nuerologist, OT evl, swallow study. I put it off due to pure frustration. After her 12 months I literally thought I was going to lose my mind w/ the crying and no sleep. Pedi once again recommend the above. Saw Neurologist and he dx w. sleeping disorder and possible SPD.

We a first had some relief w/ OT protocol for SPD. It quickly went from bad to worse. Although crying had improved, she went to rubbing of the feet to screaming when she was put on her feet. Neurologist was very concern and ordered a MRI this was Feb 3rd. Since then things are quickly going down hill. I mention the foot drop and side leg swing...also hand numbness/tingle?, cocking her head while walking, right arm flap, falling and tripping, foot shuffle, and the latest since last night chocking on her own saliva. Neurologist rushed the MRI for the morning.

She was also put on Neurontin Feb 8th to help neuropathy pain. At first it helped but the rubbing is returning.

This is becoming very scary.

I just don't know what the next step is if no cyst/lesions are found. Where do we go next? Brain MRI? He ordered lumbar,cervical,and thoracic.


I can say for sure there will be no more vax until at least I do more research. But so far from what I am reading never is looking like a possibility!


Early morning MRI, I'll check back tomorrow afternoon, unless we stay at the hospital Only see us staying if it is life threatening....here's to chatting tomorrow!!!

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

showurhorns is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showurhorns View Post
POOR BABY! Has she had any permanent damage? I know that scream!

DD was always "colic", but by 8 weeks she started screaming for no apparent reason. She always had her hands to her ears. Dr tried to tell me was a comfort thing because she had no infection. She soon after began kicking her legs simotaneously non-stop at night. Very unusal behavior. I was constantly at Pedi because "something" was wrong. Most of the time they found nothing. This is my 3rd child I know crying 24/7 and not sleeping was not normal. But I was the crazy mom!
When she started eating solids she began screaming it seemed when she swallowed. We have had feeding issuses ever since.
About 6 months she got tubes because ENT thought pressure in her ears could be causing her pain. She had a few infections and more than a few times of fluild on drums.
She improved some, except extreme sleeping issues, very restless.

I finally saw a new pedi and she tried helping find out what was wrong. We went to a GI Dr to rule out silent GERD. She(Pedi) is also the one who sent me to ENT.
At that time she also suggested Nuerologist, OT evl, swallow study. I put it off due to pure frustration. After her 12 months I literally thought I was going to lose my mind w/ the crying and no sleep. Pedi once again recommend the above. Saw Neurologist and he dx w. sleeping disorder and possible SPD.

We a first had some relief w/ OT protocol for SPD. It quickly went from bad to worse. Although crying had improved, she went to rubbing of the feet to screaming when she was put on her feet. Neurologist was very concern and ordered a MRI this was Feb 3rd. Since then things are quickly going down hill. I mention the foot drop and side leg swing...also hand numbness/tingle?, cocking her head while walking, right arm flap, falling and tripping, foot shuffle, and the latest since last night chocking on her own saliva. Neurologist rushed the MRI for the morning.

She was also put on Neurontin Feb 8th to help neuropathy pain. At first it helped but the rubbing is returning.

This is becoming very scary.

I just don't know what the next step is if no cyst/lesions are found. Where do we go next? Brain MRI? He ordered lumbar,cervical,and thoracic.


I can say for sure there will be no more vax until at least I do more research. But so far from what I am reading never is looking like a possibility!


Early morning MRI, I'll check back tomorrow afternoon, unless we stay at the hospital Only see us staying if it is life threatening....here's to chatting tomorrow!!!

I really cannot urge you enough to consult with an alternative practitioner. All these endless allopathic doctors you have seen and what they have suggested do not seem to have helped much. At this point what do you have to lose by consulting a ND or a DAN doc for another perspective??? I'm so sorry you and your porr baby have to endure this. It must be so hard

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
 
suschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the midst
Posts: 2,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vaccine reactions can be immediate, within hours, or can take days, weeks, months, even years....to show up....read the insert for every vaccine your child was given.
suschi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off