Can we bust some myths? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And FTR: I had CP when I was 9 or 10. I was completely miserable for 3ish days, stuck at home inside for another 3 or 4 and then it was fine. I had them only below the waist. MOstly in my groin area, legs and trunk. It wasn't any more or less craptastic than any other common childhood illness.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#32 of 35 Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleAwesome View Post
Your chicken pox was fun???? I had it... twice. The second time I was in the 8th grade and INCREDIBLY sick. I'm so thankful that my children won't suffer through that. I also work in a hospital. You are required to be immune to chicken pox if you have patient care. Its just smart. Don't forget small pox was wiped out by vaccines.
-Casey
Remember that your children will need chicken pox boosters every 15-20 years for the rest of their lives or they may indeed contract chicken pox, and the disease gets more dangerous for adults.

I am so thankful that I have natural immunity to chicken pox, measles, rubella and mumps. I had all those diseases as a child. I was never vaxed with the MMR, and I am so thankful.
#33 of 35 Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
The myth that gets me fired up is the one that suggests that my unvaccinated child is a health risk to your vaccinated child. And don't get me started on herd immunity. Oy.

Respectfully, numbers don't matter if your child is one that comprises that 0.002% statistic.

Don't get me wrong, I still choose to forgo VariVax, but chicken pox isn't always a benign childhood disease. Usually it is, but I went to the hospital to visit my best friend's sister when she was dying of chicken pox related encephalitis when I was in highschool and I know that it occurs in 1.7 of every 100 000 cases of varicella (or at least it did then). Sometimes you are the statistic, no matter how rare, and that sucks.

So, while I do not choose to vaccinate against this particular virus, I do not feel that it is fun or without risk.

Yes, I agree with your point. I often hear vaccines touted as only having very rare instances of side effects. But when they happened to me, the rarity didn't matter at all.

It's just one thing among many points to consider though. We took a fairly benign disease and have now shifted the epidemiology of the disease and made it so that everyone must receive continuous vaccinations for life.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#34 of 35 Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Yes, I agree with your point. I often hear vaccines touted as only having very rare instances of side effects. But when they happened to me, the rarity didn't matter at all.

It's just one thing among many points to consider though. We took a fairly benign disease and have now shifted the epidemiology of the disease and made it so that everyone must receive continuous vaccinations for life.
re: the bold, exactly! I don't care how "rare" it is that reactive aluminum damages a child enough that the effects are immediately evident, I'm not putting it in my child without a damn good reason.

I feel the same about the "rare" risk of varicella assocated encephalitis. So, it's all about assessing the risk and acting accordingly, as well as doing what we can as parents to minimize the risk in general (diet, exercise, supplements etc).

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#35 of 35 Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
The myth that gets me fired up is the one that suggests that my unvaccinated child is a health risk to your vaccinated child. And don't get me started on herd immunity. Oy.

Respectfully, numbers don't matter if your child is one that comprises that 0.002% statistic.

Don't get me wrong, I still choose to forgo VariVax, but chicken pox isn't always a benign childhood disease. Usually it is, but I went to the hospital to visit my best friend's sister when she was dying of chicken pox related encephalitis when I was in highschool and I know that it occurs in 1.7 of every 100 000 cases of varicella (or at least it did then). Sometimes you are the statistic, no matter how rare, and that sucks.
So, while I do not choose to vaccinate against this particular virus, I do not feel that it is fun or without risk.
Yes.

I, know two children, two different families. Each child had a reaction to a shot and ended up brain damaged. One is 16 and has the brain of a 1 year old. Another is severly damaged and will be on assisted living her whole life. Thank god she has siblings older and younger than her who will hopefully be there to take care of her. What are the stats on those inserts for reactions? Probably high, I guess.

So, yeah, when you are the statistic there is no comfort.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page