Vac Poll - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having some questions about whether to vac or not. Could you please write if you have or haven't vaxed and if your LO ended up getting any diseases. Thanks for you help!
#2 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is almost 2, unvaccinated. No VPD's

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM

DS1, partially vaxed, has had rotavirus illness and chicken pox illness. Had one chicken pox vaccine but still got the wild virus, and a pretty decent case. Did not have the rotavirus vaccine.

DS2, unvaxed, has had rotavirus, chicken pox, and possibly rubella. He also had a severe invasiv non-typeable haemophilus influenzae infection, I list this one because NTHi infections have increased since HiB vaccine was introduced (which protects again haemophilus influenzae type B only) So he was a victim of serotype replacement.

DS3, unvaxed, no illnesses yet.

Now, ask me about the illnesses they've got that there are NO vaccines for...strep, pneumonia, lots of pink eye, about a dozen run of the mill viral illnesses...no one wants to know about how many kids get illnesses until a vaccine is available for it. I find that interesting.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
DD (12) and DS (10) completely unvaxed. Neither have so far contracted diphtheria, tetanus, polio, hepatitis A or B, haemophilus influenzae, measles, mumps or rubella. Both have had a mild case of chicken pox and possibly pertussis (nothing more than an annoying cough for a couple of months), DD had rotavirus at 18 months old, DS has not had it. They both had "regular" flu two years ago and most likely H1N1 last fall.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
100% non vaxed 3 year old.. has not had any VPD's.. and is in PT childcare...
#6 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM

7yo - unvaxed, had chicken pox and pertussis, has seasonal allergies
3yo - unvaxed, had severe ear infections until tubes were put in, pneumonia once

Neither in daycare or public school.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#7 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM

7 yo- fully vaxed except Hep B ntil 9 months--had chicken pox and what we think was H1N1

4 yo- no vaccinations. had chicken pox + seasonal flu

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#8 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM

4.4 yo, partially vaxed until 6 mos, no VPD's
1.6 yo totally unvaxed, no VPD's

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#9 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM

14 y.o. and 12 y.o. non-vaxed public school attending children, no illnesses

Loving wife and mama to 3 happy, healthy, home born children
#10 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM

21mo DD, no vaxes, no VADs. She has had a couple of minor colds, a very minor ear infection and one case of the pukes for about two hours and then she was done.

ETA: And I run a home daycare with 3 to 5 extra kids here every week day.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#11 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Dd is 26 months, has had no vaxes, and has had no VPDs.

I can tell you that she had a suspected case of the mumps (turned out to be facial swelling with teething). Doctors were certain that she had mumps and nothing was done for her. I was told to bring her home and keep her away from other people until 10 days had passed. Other than that, no one warned me about symptoms, complications, or things to watch out for.

I only found out it was facial swelling the next time dd had a set of teeth coming in and she swelled up again. I saw a much more natural-minded doctor, who helped to identify what was happening. She ended up looking like that every time she teethed, other than with her very first teeth. I never even told the first set of doctors that dd didn't have the mumps.

For all the hoopla and horror stories you will hear to get you to vax, when actually presented with the disease, no one thought anything about it (and she saw 3 peds, 2 nurse practitioners, and many nurses).
#12 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
She got shots at 2 months and thats it. She has never had a VPD that I know of and she is super healthy. If she gets sick, she is usually better by morning and it never lasts more than 3 days.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#13 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 PM

3 year old and 20 month old, no vaxes, no serious illnesses. Occasional colds, one nasty stomach bug in my older son, croup in winters my older son was 1 year and 2 years old (we actually went to the hospital the first time and he got steriods because his oxygen levels were a bit low).

Edited to add: My husband thinks he got H1N1 last year, neither the boys nor I caught so much as a sniffle from him.
#14 of 96 Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 PM

DD is two. She hasn't had any vaxes or vpds. I know you only asked about children, but I am 31 unvaxed and have had measles and chicken pox. DP is 34, unvaxed and has had pertussis. He was exposed to both mumps and chicken pox when he was younger but didn't get either one. I was also exposed to pertussis on numerous occasions and never contracted it.
#15 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2yr old ds unvaxed-no vaccine available illnesses yet. However, he was exposed to pertussis at about 9 months old ( he played all day with his 2 yr old cousin who was diagnosed the next day-2 yr old cousin is fully vaccinated). He never got it (or at least never had symptoms).
#16 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
two kids, no vax at all. I suspect my oldest had rotavirus around 10 months old but we never went to a dr or anything to confirm. At worst, it was a laundry problem. We just nursed nursed nursed and she stayed hydrated and was just fine!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#17 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 AM

Three kids: all faccine free. Ages 7.5, 3.5 and 22 months.

Middle child has been seen twice for cough symptoms, just to have her lungs listened to. No other sick doctor visits with any of the others.
Aside from an occasional homeopathic remedy, my children have never had a medication - either over the counter or prescription.
Homeschooled but we are very active in the community and in the presence of other children in group settings at least 3 times a week (library storytimes, gymnastics and ballet at our local park and recreation center.)
All breastfed until they self wean. (Younger two are still nursing.)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#18 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I see I'm in the minority ... we vax our LO (12 mo) though we spread out the shots. I will say I wish we had delayed a bit more at the beginning because his first shots hit him pretty hard (we didn't start delaying/spreading out until after he had the first round). Since then we have had no adverse reactions & no illnesses (aside from a cold and norovirus) even though he is exposed to a healthy dose of germs on a regular basis.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#19 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM

DS is 23 months, a former 31 weeker (so, supposedly more prone to be ill). He has had no vaccinations. The only illnesses he's ever had are 3-4 minor colds. He is not in daycare, and still nurses about 3 times a day.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#20 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM

DS#1 is partially vax'd- all vax's through age 2. He has gotten chicken pox, rotavirus, seasonal flu (confirmed) and H1N1 (confirmed) He's now 7 and has been in preschool and in public school for a total of 3 years.

DD is partially vax'd- all vax's through age 1. She has gotten chicken pox, seasonal flu and H1N1 (both confirmed). She's now 5 and has been in preschool for 2 years.

DS#2 had all of his 2 month shots and ended up with a reaction and has not gotten anymore vax's. He's only had chicken pox. He is 3.

DS#3 is not vax'd at all and has had no diseases. He's almost 10 months.
#21 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM

dd is completely vaxd. had chronic ear infection and chicken pox
ds#1 completely vaxed, no issues
ds#2-#4 all vax free no VPD and no chronic health issues.

hth

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#22 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM

dd 5.5
ds nearly 2

Both entirely unvaxed. No vax available diseases to our knowledge.

-Angela
#23 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM

ds is 3

very partially vaxed

has only had a few colds here and there.

he is not in daycare or school

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#24 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM

DD is 3yo. She is not vaxed at all. Only illnesses a couple of colds. She is still nursing. Not in school or daycare.

married to DH for eleven years Mama to dd1 1/30/07 and dd2 7/12/10
#25 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Dd,11yo-vaxed until 2.5yo,I suspect she had pertussis but was never confirmed,nothing else except the usual colds.

Ds-8yo,born with heart defect tetralogy of fallot,open heart surgery at 10 weeks,microdeletion of 2nd chromosome,vaxed only with one dose of hep b,I suspect he had pertussis too but nothing else except the usual colds.

Both were always out in the community from birth,dd was homeschooled for k-2nd grade but both are now in public school.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#26 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM

We've been vaxing according to the Dr Sears alternative vaccine schedule but are thinking of being more selective. Ds will start preschool in the fall but has been home with me for 15 months and breastfed until 14 months. We are out and about constantly. He's had 4 colds and roseola virus. He has had no reactions to the vaxes except his very first (he got 2, I forget which). He had a fever and slept a lot.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#27 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

ds-3, dd-1, both unvaxed, they almost never get sick. dd has had 1 cold and ds... maybe 3-4 colds
#28 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I forgot to mention that I myself got a really bad case of pertussis at age 7 inspite of being fully vaxed. It was terrible. I coughed until I threw up, I would collapse to the ground until the fit was over. Its the only VAD that worries me but since its the vax that is most likely to fail, i really dont see the point.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#29 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM

DS is almost 3 and is unvaxed and is rarely if ever sick.
#30 of 96 Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM

I'm an oddity here. My kids are vaxed on schedule. We normally don't do flu vaxes, but they did get H1N1 vax this year.

We have had a few viruses over the years, but I am not even convinced we've ever had the flu. Mostly mild things that knock us out for a day and then we're good. My youngest will get "asthmatic" when he has a cold, but nothing severe.

And those mild viral episodes are all we've had. We've not had anything else, since my kids have been born. In terms of illness this winter seemed to be a bad one for a lot of families we know (mostly vaxed), mine were only sick for one day each (and they took turns! ) through the whole season.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page