So, what if the kid is now 12 and no sign of chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

**PLEASE SEE UPDATE IN LAST POST**

I guess my title says it all. Any other moms that have been there? What did you decide to do? I read all of the threads about this in the chicken pox section but they were mostly about younger children.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is only 2, but I will not get him this vax even if he has not had CP by his teen years. I had CP as a young adult, Im still here.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Honestly I had CP in 6th grade and the worst part of it was missing the class field trip. It wasn't a big deal for me. If you're considering getting your child vaxxed, I'd recommend a titer test first. It's possible a child that age was exposed to it and is already immune.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM

I would do a titer check and if not immune by then, I might do the vax. I would definitely do the vax by 17.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Check his titers. If he isn't immune or he doesn't get cp before puberty, I would most definetly get the vax. There are some major consequences for sexually mature males who get cp. In these cases the benefits of the vax FAR out weigh the risks IMO.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM

I have a 20 year old that never got it. eh. She is old enbough to make up her own mind now but I won't be suggesting vax.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
Check his titers. If he isn't immune or he doesn't get cp before puberty, I would most definetly get the vax. There are some major consequences for sexually mature males who get cp. In these cases the benefits of the vax FAR out weigh the risks IMO.
What consequences?

Mumps is normally the virus of concern in males who have reached puberty, but orchitis (and sterility of both testicles) due to mumps infection is apparently so rare that there are no stats on it. I have not heard of chicken pox being of particular concern.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
What consequences?

Mumps is normally the virus of concern in males who have reached puberty, but orchitis (and sterility of both testicles) due to mumps infection is apparently so rare that there are no stats on it. I have not heard of chicken pox being of particular concern.
I was under the impression that happened so rarely that there arnt even statstics on it

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 PM

I would just let nature run its course. CP is not something I would vax for. By the time any normal childhood disease isn't contracted by a child, they are close enough to being an adult that they can make their own decision.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Not worry about it.

I'm almost 28 and was exposed alot as a child and never got it and i'm not immune to it either.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM

I was pondering this also with my thrice(knowingly) exposed soon to be 12 year old son. I guess a titer is the only way to know for sure. My biggest concern for him should he contract them as an adult is that he won't have mom there to help him feel better and he might have to miss work!

,Peace loving mama to twin girls(06/05) and my sonshine (04/98) "This is the life!"
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM

I'm 31 and I just had the pox 2 months ago. I've had worse cases of poison ivy. If he hasn't encountered it naturally by now, chances are he might never...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 AM

Hi!

My son was getting a blood test done for something, can't remember right now what it was for.. a physical or something but anyway! I asked the doc to run the titers and he came back immune to CP!!! Never had a vax in his life. He was 10 or 11 at the time.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your responses. He has already started puberty. I did go ahead and get the titer test done and it said he has no immunity. I'm worried about the vaccine causing shingles (I know someone who this happened to and have heard it is not uncommon). I've talked to him about it but I'm still not sure what to do. I'm tending to agree that if he hasn't been exposed he never will be. Also, he has a really strong immune system. Still pondering. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM

I agree with pp, if you are contemplating the vax, I'd go ahead and get a titer first. That being said, I'm 36 and have never had chickenpox. Both my DC have had it, I've been exposed loads of times. . .still haven't gotten it. When I was pg the doc recommended I get a titer, but I never did. . .I'm not too worried about it.

About the shingles connection. . .from what I've read it isn't the vax that causes shingles it's that we aren't exposed as often to the virus (because of the vax) so our immune system isn't getting that little "booster" (like from our kids getting chickenpox, or the neighbor kids, etc. . .) therefore leading to shingles.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM

It is anecdotal, but I never had CP and received the vaccine as part of green card procedures. You are supposed to have titers after 2 shots. I got 4 shots as there were no titers. Still no titers. The vaccine doesn't work. At least for me.
My otherwise vaccine happy sister actually skipped the CP vax for her son due to too low efficacy rates. So it is known among doctors that it rarely works.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
About the shingles connection. . .from what I've read it isn't the vax that causes shingles it's that we aren't exposed as often to the virus (because of the vax) so our immune system isn't getting that little "booster" (like from our kids getting chickenpox, or the neighbor kids, etc. . .) therefore leading to shingles.
The vax "causes" shingles because the vaccine virus lays dormant in the nerve endings just as it does after a wild case. If your body is not harboring the virus from any source you cannot get shingles.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 PM

DH had chicken pox at 18..the day of his graduation. the worst part about it was the grad picture . Love it.

Anyway, DD is now 20 months old and I"m thinking about exposing her to cp some time this spring, rather than getting her the vax.

joy.gif
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 AM

I have a family member who is 40 years old and was exposed several times, but has never had it. I would focus on maintaining a good immune system and not worry about it.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's 13 now. What to do???

I feel like we're at the point now that people would consider more dangerous. And I did have the test done to see if he was immune and he's not.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

13 is still plenty young. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

I feel like we're at the point now that people would consider more dangerous. And I did have the test done to see if he was immune and he's not.

My son is 15 and never had CP that i know of.. i suspected it when he and his sisters were small, but the dr thought it was bug bites..(.i dont know of many bugs where we live that cause blisters that ooze and crust over)..our area doesn't have those kind of insects... You say you're at a point that people would consider more dangerous? What people?  Media, Friends, Hearsay? How is your sons overall health in general? You should make your decision on sound reasoning, not fear-mongering.  And tests are not always accurate.. my brother had to get tested for lyme disease 4TIMES b4 it showed up and then he had to push the dr to order the test, even tho he was exhibiting massive symptoms.  Titers can show up later on too..even after a negative reading. 

Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

The fact is CP as an adult CAN be more dangerous - doesn't mena it WILL be. It is only a possibility. Again I had CP when I was I think 20. I had a bad case - very itchy. I spent a week in an aveeno bath chilling out wathcing tv from my bathtub. I had no complications (other than having to wash my bedsheets daily yuk!) and while it sucked - had I to do it over again or get the vaccine - id do it over again. Perhaps CP when one is 40 is more serious? I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't freak out by 13.

If my son who is now 3 has not had CP and no titres by the time he is 18, he can make his own choice about it. I will educate him and then he will be an adult and make his own desicion. As long as your child is otherwise in good health, there is no reason to think he would have complications from CP. I also use homeopathy a great deal and CP can be treated naturally.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I guess my main concern is because he's a boy in puberty. If he became sterile and it was because of my actions (or rather inactions) I could never forgive myself.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
I guess my main concern is because he's a boy in puberty. If he became sterile and it was because of my actions (or rather inactions) I could never forgive myself.

aren't they slim to none (in only very rare cases temporary) ? as with ANY high fever-not just CP

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, that would be silly if people tried to make that about CP then. Does anyone have this information for sure? If that was the case (and it's not the actual virus causing it) then I would definitely consider that a ridiculous argument and feel better.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

fever being just one of sooooooooo many reasons (NOT one I would base a need to vac on)----

there are tons on info on fever related but again so many other factors can play greater risks

www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/malefertility.htm

if CP was causing the problem there would be stats and I see none that make it even a 1% cause

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Vaccinations , Delayed Vaccination , Chicken Pox
User Tag List