So, what if the kid is now 12 and no sign of chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Soltera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

**PLEASE SEE UPDATE IN LAST POST**

 

I guess my title says it all. Any other moms that have been there? What did you decide to do? I read all of the threads about this in the chicken pox section but they were mostly about younger children.

Mama Soltera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is only 2, but I will not get him this vax even if he has not had CP by his teen years. I had CP as a young adult, Im still here.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
 
SunshineJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In transition
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly I had CP in 6th grade and the worst part of it was missing the class field trip. It wasn't a big deal for me. If you're considering getting your child vaxxed, I'd recommend a titer test first. It's possible a child that age was exposed to it and is already immune.
SunshineJ is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
 
EviesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Earth.
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would do a titer check and if not immune by then, I might do the vax. I would definitely do the vax by 17.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
EviesMom is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
 
jeliphish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check his titers. If he isn't immune or he doesn't get cp before puberty, I would most definetly get the vax. There are some major consequences for sexually mature males who get cp. In these cases the benefits of the vax FAR out weigh the risks IMO.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
jeliphish is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
 
Arduinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 31,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 20 year old that never got it. eh. She is old enbough to make up her own mind now but I won't be suggesting vax.
Arduinna is offline  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
Check his titers. If he isn't immune or he doesn't get cp before puberty, I would most definetly get the vax. There are some major consequences for sexually mature males who get cp. In these cases the benefits of the vax FAR out weigh the risks IMO.
What consequences?

Mumps is normally the virus of concern in males who have reached puberty, but orchitis (and sterility of both testicles) due to mumps infection is apparently so rare that there are no stats on it. I have not heard of chicken pox being of particular concern.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 AM
 
JBaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
What consequences?

Mumps is normally the virus of concern in males who have reached puberty, but orchitis (and sterility of both testicles) due to mumps infection is apparently so rare that there are no stats on it. I have not heard of chicken pox being of particular concern.
I was under the impression that happened so rarely that there arnt even statstics on it

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
JBaxter is offline  
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 PM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just let nature run its course. CP is not something I would vax for. By the time any normal childhood disease isn't contracted by a child, they are close enough to being an adult that they can make their own decision.
ammiga is offline  
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM
 
SoCaliMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Not worry about it.

I'm almost 28 and was exposed alot as a child and never got it and i'm not immune to it either.


Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
SoCaliMommy is offline  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
 
millermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: onward...through the fog
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was pondering this also with my thrice(knowingly) exposed soon to be 12 year old son. I guess a titer is the only way to know for sure. My biggest concern for him should he contract them as an adult is that he won't have mom there to help him feel better and he might have to miss work!

,Peace loving mama to twin girls(06/05) and my sonshine (04/98) "This is the life!"
millermama is offline  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
 
frogautumn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 31 and I just had the pox 2 months ago. I've had worse cases of poison ivy. If he hasn't encountered it naturally by now, chances are he might never...
frogautumn is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
 
Luckyinlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

My son was getting a blood test done for something, can't remember right now what it was for.. a physical or something but anyway! I asked the doc to run the titers and he came back immune to CP!!! Never had a vax in his life. He was 10 or 11 at the time.
Luckyinlife is offline  
Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Soltera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for all of your responses. He has already started puberty. I did go ahead and get the titer test done and it said he has no immunity. I'm worried about the vaccine causing shingles (I know someone who this happened to and have heard it is not uncommon). I've talked to him about it but I'm still not sure what to do. I'm tending to agree that if he hasn't been exposed he never will be. Also, he has a really strong immune system. Still pondering. Thanks again.
Mama Soltera is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
 
treemom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 3,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with pp, if you are contemplating the vax, I'd go ahead and get a titer first. That being said, I'm 36 and have never had chickenpox. Both my DC have had it, I've been exposed loads of times. . .still haven't gotten it. When I was pg the doc recommended I get a titer, but I never did. . .I'm not too worried about it.

About the shingles connection. . .from what I've read it isn't the vax that causes shingles it's that we aren't exposed as often to the virus (because of the vax) so our immune system isn't getting that little "booster" (like from our kids getting chickenpox, or the neighbor kids, etc. . .) therefore leading to shingles.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

treemom2 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is anecdotal, but I never had CP and received the vaccine as part of green card procedures. You are supposed to have titers after 2 shots. I got 4 shots as there were no titers. Still no titers. The vaccine doesn't work. At least for me.
My otherwise vaccine happy sister actually skipped the CP vax for her son due to too low efficacy rates. So it is known among doctors that it rarely works.
nia82 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
About the shingles connection. . .from what I've read it isn't the vax that causes shingles it's that we aren't exposed as often to the virus (because of the vax) so our immune system isn't getting that little "booster" (like from our kids getting chickenpox, or the neighbor kids, etc. . .) therefore leading to shingles.
The vax "causes" shingles because the vaccine virus lays dormant in the nerve endings just as it does after a wild case. If your body is not harboring the virus from any source you cannot get shingles.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 PM
 
MissE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH had chicken pox at 18..the day of his graduation. the worst part about it was the grad picture . Love it.

Anyway, DD is now 20 months old and I"m thinking about exposing her to cp some time this spring, rather than getting her the vax.

joy.gif
MissE is offline  
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 AM
 
momofmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a family member who is 40 years old and was exposed several times, but has never had it. I would focus on maintaining a good immune system and not worry about it.
momofmine is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Soltera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, he's 13 now. What to do???

 

I feel like we're at the point now that people would consider more dangerous. And I did have the test done to see if he was immune and he's not.

Mama Soltera is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM
 
SuburbanHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: finally out in the country
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

13 is still plenty young. 


Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

 


 

SuburbanHippie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 AM
 
emmy526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

Well, he's 13 now. What to do???

 

I feel like we're at the point now that people would consider more dangerous. And I did have the test done to see if he was immune and he's not.



My son is 15 and never had CP that i know of.. i suspected it when he and his sisters were small, but the dr thought it was bug bites..(.i dont know of many bugs where we live that cause blisters that ooze and crust over)..our area doesn't have those kind of insects... You say you're at a point that people would consider more dangerous? What people?  Media, Friends, Hearsay? How is your sons overall health in general? You should make your decision on sound reasoning, not fear-mongering.  And tests are not always accurate.. my brother had to get tested for lyme disease 4TIMES b4 it showed up and then he had to push the dr to order the test, even tho he was exhibiting massive symptoms.  Titers can show up later on too..even after a negative reading. 

emmy526 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

Well, he's 13 now. What to do???

 

I feel like we're at the point now that people would consider more dangerous. And I did have the test done to see if he was immune and he's not.



 The fact is CP as an adult CAN be more dangerous - doesn't mena it WILL be. It is only a possibility. Again I had CP when I was I think 20. I had a bad case - very itchy. I spent a week in an aveeno bath chilling out wathcing tv from my bathtub. I had no complications (other than having to wash my bedsheets daily yuk!) and while it sucked - had I to do it over again or get the vaccine - id do it over again. Perhaps CP when one is 40 is more serious? I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't freak out by 13.

 

If my son who is now 3 has not had CP and no titres by the time he is 18, he can make his own choice about it. I will educate him and then he will be an adult and make his own desicion. As long as your child is otherwise in good health, there is no reason to think he would have complications from CP. I also use homeopathy a great deal and CP can be treated naturally.


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Soltera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess my main concern is because he's a boy in puberty. If he became sterile and it was because of my actions (or rather inactions) I could never forgive myself.

Mama Soltera is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
I guess my main concern is because he's a boy in puberty. If he became sterile and it was because of my actions (or rather inactions) I could never forgive myself.

 

 

aren't they slim to none (in only very rare cases temporary) ? as with ANY high fever-not just CP


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Soltera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ah, that would be silly if people tried to make that about CP then. Does anyone have this information for sure? If that was the case (and it's not the actual virus causing it) then I would definitely consider that a ridiculous argument and feel better.

Mama Soltera is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

fever being just one of sooooooooo many reasons (NOT one I would base a need to vac on)----

 

there are tons on info on fever related but again so many other factors can play greater risks

 

www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/malefertility.htm

 

 

if CP was causing the problem there would be stats and I see none that make it even a 1% cause


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
 

Tags
Vaccinations , Delayed Vaccination , Chicken Pox
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off