If Polio Is Only a Plane Ride Away . . . - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Wondering about this--we never did figure out why the eradication of polio worked in the U.S. and has stuck--well, sort of.

There were actually some case of totally symptom free polio located in Minnesota (this was sometimes called an outbreak in the news), but the circulating virus in that case was from the vaccine.

So why no polio?
You mean, besides the explaination that the vaccine was effective at *basically* eradicating it?
#32 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Sure, if we ignore the events occurring simultaneously, like the case definition of polio getting a dramatic revision just months after the redeveloped Salk vaccine was introduced.

#33 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
You mean, besides the explaination that the vaccine was effective at *basically* eradicating it?
No, the problem is that polio is not eradicated worldwide and therefore is only a plane ride away.

The oral polio vaccine is given multiple times to children in polio endemic countries and this vaccine sheds in the feces for months.

The injected polio vaccine used in the U.S. does not provide intestinal immunity (because it doesn't go through the intestines, I guess), so someone who is exposed to wild polio or vaccine polio can end up carrying it although they might not get ill. But of course back when there were polio epidemics, most people didn't get ill, either.

So it is just a bit puzzling that there haven't been any outbreaks here or in the rest of the Americas.

There is a fair bit of acute flaccid paralysis around, though, in various parts of the world.
#34 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM

This was very interesting to read. The reason I chose not to vaccinate my son for polio is because of the extremely low rate of acute infection even among those who contract polio, plus the fact that there have been no wild polio cases since '79. But I know mothers who flip out about unvaccinated children with statements like "but what if your son gets polio and dies!!!!!!" Um, do a little research before you flip out on me please.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#35 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
that is the health department's definition; it is also a way to confuse the situation and scare people into lining up for a vaccine they do not need.
Yes, this. You don't know how many people I know who are so happy they vaxed because of the polio "outbreak" that happened. They won't believe you when you say they didn't really have polio either.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#36 of 47 Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/california/ci_15217684

Article about the ongoing struggle to eradicate polio. This has gone on a lot longer than they expected and cost a lot more money and used up a lot of human resources. And it hasn't succeeded.

Plus, what the article doesn't mention is that the oral vaccine sheds, so as long as they are using the oral vaccine there will still be polio cases. But the injected vaccine is much more expensive and will donors really be willing to provide this vaccine worldwide for an indefinite period of time?

And of course the article makes no mention at all of the acute flaccid paralysis caseload, which is going up, up, up, year after year.
#37 of 47 Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Interesting to poke around in old news stories about polio or measles. Found this one via google archive:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/25/sc...-cdc-says.html

Quote:
The rate of polio vaccination fell over the same period, from 73.9 percent in 1965 to 50.6 percent in 1991, the agency said. Children Lost From System

"The problem is that polio and the DPT vaccines require at least three doses, and children are being lost from the system," said Dr. William Atkinson, a C.D.C. epidemiologist, referring to the diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus vaccine.

"We think that most of the children get at least one dose of oral polio vaccine and DPT vaccine, but fewer return for the second dose and fewer still return for a third dose," he said.
exactly 100 words, how is that for weird?

This article is from 1993.

See this article, from the same year: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...orldwide&hl=en

but I think discussing slightly older stats...but which is, weirdly, boasting about the 97% vaccination rate in the U.S. against polio by the time children start school.

Oh well, the more I study this topic the more oddities I bang up against.

But this second article talks about 14,000 case plus and says that only 10% of polio cases are reported worldwide. But it is a newspaper article so there are no citations and we can't check to see if this fact or fiction.

Anyhow, if polio is a highly infectious illness and it is most dangerous to small children, and if there really were millions of undervaccinated toddlers in the U.S. in the early 90s, it is absolutely amazing that there wasn't an outbreak. Given that the vaccine is the only reason that people aren't dropping like flies from polio in the U.S. (sarcasm).
#38 of 47 Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 AM

This is an interesting thread and I want to read more. Some things to ponder-I've been reading and will try to find links, since this was in books-chiropractors are/have been seeing more and more people with one side shorter than the other, or with slight paralytic problems. Some of these drs are thinking this correlates with Polio. Now I'm sure others would say it's a lack of folic acid during pregnancy, or is not Polio at all, but some other disease.
The other thing would be the Simian Virus-40 connection to Polio-something I've recently stumbled on. Frankly, I'm curious how people who never were in contact with the virus, have cancer with that exact virus connected to it. Of course the cancer society claims there is no connection to the vaccine, but they are still researching.

I'll have to come back to this-I'm trying to read everything and reply with my boys bouncing around me
#39 of 47 Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 AM

It definitely could be some other disease. There are a lot of other things which cause paralysis, temporary or permanent.
#40 of 47 Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 PM

If a google search is done on "Is polio really a plane ride away", some interesting info comes up.

As a pp mentioned, I would gather something other than Polio is more likely to hitch a plane ride. I haven't gone super deep on Polio yet, but what I have found just leads to more questions.
#41 of 47 Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM

link didn't work...

It looks like it might be blocked or something.
#42 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 AM

It is.
#43 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
If a google search is done on "Is polio really a plane ride away", some interesting info comes up.
Um, yea. This thread. And nothing else.

Here are the search terms that I entered instead: "polio," "plane ride away."

And you're right. It is interesting.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#44 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Odd, my search turned up over 22,000 results on the same terms.

I didn't browse through all 22,000, but the first two pages were all about how easy it would be for polio to land in the U.S. again.

Which makes the newspaper stories I cited earlier even more puzzling.

Mumps, which isn't terribly easy to spread...we get outbreaks.

Measles, which is pretty easy to spread...we get outbreaks.

Polio, who knows? But all the outbreaks seem to be confined to developing countries right now. And have been for many years, in spite of the fact that the IPV vaccine which we currently use does not prevent carriage of the illness and the fact that vaccine coverage in the U.S. has had some ups and downs. Curious.
#45 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 11:36 AM

That all depends on the working definition of "outbreak".
#46 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
It wasn't the vaccine that eradicated it, it was the change in diagnostic criteria. We didn't even bother to isolate poliovirus prevaccine...
#47 of 47 Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_domhan View Post
It wasn't the vaccine that eradicated it, it was the change in diagnostic criteria. We didn't even bother to isolate poliovirus prevaccine...
Inside Vaccines did a really good write-up of the numbers manipulation and confusion surrounding AFP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page