My 18 mo old daughter was just diagnosed with neutropenia, we don't know if it's chronic or cyclical at this point. But the doctor is pressuring me to have her vaccinated - especially Hib, Prevnar and DTaP. He says that because they are dead viruses they pose no increased risk for adverse reaction, even though she has a neutrophil count of 150. That seems crazy to me. He says her risk of death by bacterial infection (like menengitis) far outweighs the risks of the vaccine.
Does anyone have a child with neutropenia?
(please let me know if I should cross post this in health...)
If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.
My son has Primary Immune Deficiency, so it is highly likely that he would require more doses of each vaccine to mount an appropriate immune response. Because of that, and because of the high rate of autoimmune disorders in his genetic syndrome, we have chosen to decline vaccines. It was a very hard choice, though (still is, I revisit it constantly) because he also is at increased risk of severe illness from VPDs. It's kind of a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" sort of thing.
As I understand it...neutropenia puts her at increased risk of severe illness. The "dead" vaccines are not any more likely to cause adverse reaction for her. So, given just those two facts, it might make sense to vaccinate her. BUT, there's the other issue of immune response. If she won't mount a normal one anyway, then you have to factor that in.
Vaccinating special needs kids is always a really tough decision!!! *I* can say "oh, the flu is no big deal" but that just isn't true for my son and your daughter.
Our baby was born with neutropenia . At beginning it was nightmare because she's had very strange strange spots all over her body , some small places where where skin was cracked and plenty of small infections . Doctors did't know what was going on with her until she's had several serious infections where it was necessary to place her in hospital in total of two months within one year.
Our baby is now 2 years old and she's over all better however "neutropenia" ( as determined after long diagnose ) keep showing the signs of presence. Sometimes she's fine for two , three , this year during the summer and spring even for 5-6 months with some small signs - white single blotch in her mouth and around vagina , small crack above her bum , small spots here and there around her body sometimes with fever and small infections overall nothing to be worried comparing what we've had in a past.
A doctors keep recommending , making appointments for us to get her immunised however we are very concerned about immunisation overall and especially for her .
For me personally there is too much signs of side effects of immunisation around our friends and colleagues include autism.
We are in the point where sometimes it is very difficult to deal with it however i know that we are not along .
I am very sorry for your baby and I am praying every day with hope that there will be a miracle and she'll get better however I also know that it could be much worse.
What we doing to try to keep her well is : giving her and the rest of three kids the best possible food , organic oils , antibacterial food if you need any advice according to our experience just reply.
Our oldest son ( 11y) is fully immunised , daughter (7y) is partially , son (4y) not immunised , daughter with neutropenia (2y) not immunised .
When I am observing this world I am sure with one thing that within my live (32y) whole the world gets worse and worse in nearly all aspects: food, environment , wars, mentally . Money before our health and live.
I can not recommend you to immunise or not immunise but I hope you can make the right decision.