Kindergarten and exemption help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They gave me a card to fill out for the exemption. Up until now I just printed out a page I got from here actually that stated the law and that I was opposed. Easy peasy. This little card here wants me to state WHY I am requesting a religious exemption. I am in PA btw. I didn't think I need to explain. It does say in parentheses under the religious exemption heading (includes a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief)

I'm not very eloquent and am not sure what to write in. I thought I'd just say that I am fervently morally and ethically opposed to the practice of injecting foreign substances into the bodies of my children. Not sure that would fly.

The law does say I need only object in writing. I just don't want to make a huge hassle if someone can just help me come up with a nice little one liner to shut them up.
#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Is it from the school or the state? If it is from the school I would just submit my regular exemption letter.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like it is a pa dept of health card that gets filled out. on one side it has where the doc would enter vax info and the other side is exemption info.
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Can you just write in that you are religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination? You probably don't need to get complicated with your answer.
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM

"I am fervently morally and ethically opposed to the practice of injecting known toxins into the bodies of my children."
Just to elaborate a little on your wonderful and eloquent line. You need nothing else.

I dislike with the idea of using a religious argument if you yourself are not religious. Atheists have been closeted long enough.

Dad to toddler, dad-to-be to another.

#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

tommynomad-thank you for fixing it up for me. I'm writing it in now

I'm not comfortable with using a religious argument because that has nothing to do with my decision. I've just taken the time (years actually) to research and have made an informed and educated decision that I feel very strongly about. I can't even have discussions about it outside of here because I get very twitchy hence the need to make this as smooth as possible.
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanjones View Post
tommynomad-thank you for fixing it up for me. I'm writing it in now

I'm not comfortable with using a religious argument because that has nothing to do with my decision. I've just taken the time (years actually) to research and have made an informed and educated decision that I feel very strongly about. I can't even have discussions about it outside of here because I get very twitchy hence the need to make this as smooth as possible.
I would not write what the pp suggested in a religious only state; a parent should never imply that vaccines are harmful - those are scientific beliefs.

I would try just writing that you are religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination; if expansion is necessary I'd try:

that you believe God (I personally prefer the Universe, but it's best just to conform to the typical Judeo-Christian thing for the sake of getting it done) created us perfect and you believe that it is wrong and arrogant to believe we can improve upon God's perfect creation. Therefore, it would be a violation of your religious principle's to vaccinate your perfectly healthy children.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 8 Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 AM

Her state says strong moral and ethical concerns are good enough to be considered religious, so I don't think she's "lying."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page