My unvaxed toddler has Pertussis! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is my personal diagnosis, after listening to some audio files of kids with whooping cough. Yup, she whoops, all right! From everything I've read, it has to run its course, right?

She's had this slight cough, followed by the sharp, loud intake of breath, for about 2 weeks. She feels fine, and only coughs occasionally, and then only once or twice- never to the point of turning blue or vomiting. I don't know if the coughing will get worse from this point, so that she starts having coughing "attacks" or "fits", or if it will just be a mild case the whole way through. I hope it's the latter. She has a great immune system- very rarely shows any signs of illness.

So I'd like to do what I can to shorten the duration and/or keep it as mild as possible. She still breastfeeds a lot, and I always take megadoses of Vit C in the hope that some will reach her. She also drinks orange juice, but is a very picky and suspicious eater. So I'd like to give her Vitamin C drops, but they'll have to taste REALLY GOOD to get past her lips! Does anybody have a recommendation on a particular brand?

Thanks for any help!

Kristi

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's see, my son was 3 when he had pertussis and this is what I did. Lots of vitamin c, probably 1-maybe 4 grams a day. Form the research I did, that is the one big thing that can make a huge difference in severeity of the disease. But i also supported his immune system with probiotics, echinacea and lots of soup broths. Other than that there was not much I could do except be there for him in the middle of the night when most of the attacks would occur. I was pregannt at the time and it was rough and scary, but we made it and i only questioned not vaxxing for about 5 seconds and I still remain sure of my decision, although luckily I had not had my baby yet, because that would have been much worse.
Hope that helps and hope your daughter recovers quickly.
#3 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
this thread may be of help:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=chocomoto

also, some mommies have posted that they originally thought it was wc and then later determined that it might have been croup.

you may want to check H&H for some croup treatments in addition to the pertussis treatments.

hugs to you and little one.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Tracy! If the audio file I listened to on http://www.pertussis.com/ was a confirmed case of whooping cough, then that's what dd has- it could have been her on that recording! She goes "Cough-cough-hoooOOOO!" and then stops coughing, sometimes for hours. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I did look up symptoms of croup, and I'd say she has an otherwise normal dry cough, not like a barking seal... and it seems like croup's usually a shorter illness, with other cold symptoms accompanying it. She doesn't have difficulty breathing, or hoarseness. I really do think it's pertussis- although of course, without a doctor to tell me that, I know nothing! :LOL You're probably right- I need to take this over to H&H.

KaiandAiden'sMama, thank you for the tips. I think I'm going to try Emergen-C strawberry drink for her. She might try that. It has quite a bit of C. Failing that, I know she will eat Hall's Vit C, but they only have 60 mg each. : I'll be pushing them on her all day.

~*Kristi*~

#5 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Kristi,
Natural Factors has a liquid vitamin C supplement called Liqui Factors Vitamin C. It comes in orange and wild berry flavors. My 21 month old ds takes the orange without hesitation. One teaspoon gives 250 mg of vitamin C.
#6 of 10 Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Have you tried Hyland's vit c tablets?They're sodium ascorbate(like emergen-c).They're only 25mg though,but they melt almost instantly.My kids love them.Ds has a bad cold,so I give him quite a few of these a day.I also tell my kids that emergen-c is soda(well,it's bubbly,lol) so they'll drink it,since soda at home is a no-no.Dd asks for it constantly.Good luck,and I hope your little one feels better soon.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to my 17yo talented artist dd

and my 14yo smart gamer ds

#7 of 10 Old 03-10-2004, 12:43 AM

I bought the sodium ascorbate crystals from here:

http://www.bronsonvitamins.com/produ...m?id=102&cid=9

It's virtually taste-free (I can *sort of* taste it, just a bit salty, but not much) and you can just mix it in your dd's juice, milk, water, whatever. It's very cost effective at less than $34 for 1000 servings (1000mgs per serving) of vitamin c. We all use it--just dump a bit in whatever we are drinking (for me, I only drink water) now and then and we're good to go. I realize that you need it now, but having some on hand isn't a bad idea. HTH Good luck!
#8 of 10 Old 03-10-2004, 01:30 AM

As I understand it , the only real danger with whooping cough is that a serious coughing attack could interfere with breathing.
When my son had whooping cough, I kept him on a steady supply of mostly natural and mild (he doesn't like anything spicy or menthol) cough drops, and we made it through alive and well.
#9 of 10 Old 03-10-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone! Your suggestions are invaluable. I'll be trying to find the ones you all recommend. I got her to take 2 of the 500 mg chewable C's today, but she doesn't love them. Too tart- they make her pucker up! :LOL

~*Kristi*~

#10 of 10 Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 PM

If I'm not too late here for a suggestion, Whole Foods carries Whole Kids Liquid Vitamin C that is fruit punch flavored. I highly recommend it.

You can give 3 teaspoons of it a day. My ds drinks it alone, dd needs to take a sip of water after. Either way, it stays down, and that's all I care about.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page