Andrew Wakefield banned - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
I wonder whats going threw the mind of non-vax mammas on here? Do you feel betrayed? Do you still stand by your decisions?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37311056/ns/health/
do you feel like you decisions are more validated now? why would anything diff be going through our minds?

no i dont feel betrayed because he is not the reason i would not vax my kids.

do i still stand by my choice to not vax my kids when i have them? yes! there is sooo much more to it then what this one dr has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya View Post
This is not the first time an anti-vax doctor has been in trouble. Seems a lot of them end up losing their licenses, or being ridiculed, or disproven, etc. It appears to be very hard/impossible for doctors in this country to have an anti-vax stance and be taken seriously. Personally, this doctor and his study had nothing to do with my reasons for not vaccinating. Autism was probably the least of my worries when it comes to vaccines and my kids. Nothing in my life is changing over this and my kid will remain vaccine free.

If this is all it takes to get an "anti-vax" person vaxing, then they did not do enough research one way or the other to begin with.
very well said!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#92 of 95 Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
Right. Lots of claims and deductions about possible this or suspicious that. From both sides. But the actual evidence- the very truth of the core of the study and accusations- are in the children's medical files. Files that we don't have access to, right?
True, we don't have access to the medical files.

We do have access to the parents who have spoken out about the medical condition of their children.

If you were changing the diapers on a 12 or 13 year old with chronic diarrhea and the GMC claimed that this child did not have bowel disease, would you think the GMC knew what they were talking about? Parents do know a lot about their children's medical history.
#93 of 95 Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 AM

My decisions regarding vaccinating had nothing to do with Andrew Wakefield. In fact, I had to think about who he was when I saw this thread!
#94 of 95 Old 05-31-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
True, we don't have access to the medical files.

We do have access to the parents who have spoken out about the medical condition of their children.

If you were changing the diapers on a 12 or 13 year old with chronic diarrhea and the GMC claimed that this child did not have bowel disease, would you think the GMC knew what they were talking about? Parents do know a lot about their children's medical history.
Parents do know a lot about their children's medical history. But I'm not going to believe that (fill in the blank) is wrong with the child because the child's parent says it's true. There have been countless parents throughout history who have just *known* that the problem with their child was that s/he was possessed, or needed a lobotomy, or needed a blood-letting, etc. That's why we have tests that rule out certain conditions. Because parents aren't always the best place to go when looking for a logical, unbiased opinion about their child. It's sort of your job as a parent NOT to be! Kind of the same reason that surgeons aren't allowed to operate on their own kids. No matter how much knowledge and training you have, sometimes it can be hard to see the forest for the trees.

Still, the issues can't be answered by the parents, their opinions, or the realities of their daily lives. For example: Did Andrew Wakefield and his team change the way a diagnosis was presented from the patient's original file to the report? The answer to that has nothing to do with what anyone says or thinks or feels. It has nothing to do with anyone's character or cohorts or financial ties. The answer can only come from seeing the original patients files, so that one can compare them to the study. Everything else can certainly shape your opinion of the people or methodology involved, but cannot answer the basic question in any way.
#95 of 95 Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
So you really think that Dr. Walker Smith ended a distinguished career messing around with patient files to prove Dr. Wakefield's theory about MMR?

Sorry, makes no sense.

Makes no sense, either, that Wakefield was able to mess with the patient files when he was part of a large team of researchers.

This whole case consists of impossibilities piled high.

IMO the only thing that makes sense is the government trying to cover up a large screw-up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page