Safety of Infant Vaccine Schedule Affirmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/Vaccines/20249

Thoughts? I find the title quite misleading, even if the study is accurate- just because there may be no neurological delays certainly doesn't affirm "safety" of the vaccines.
Also, am I reading it right that Smith and Woods receives funding from vaccine manufacturers?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
Also, am I reading it right that Smith and Woods receives funding from vaccine manufacturers?
That's what it looks like to me...either they or their colleagues running the studies have.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#3 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM

In this study, children on the spectrum were exluded.
From the abstract
Quote:
Finally, our analyses were limited to publicly available data from the original study. Future VSD studies without this restriction would be able to assess a wider range of outcomes. These include putative vaccine adverse effects such as neurodevelopmental delay, autism, and autoimmune disorders.
So these things were not studied, so, it proves NOTHING - It's all spin

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM

I read the study quickly last night.

Two words: Bonferroni adjustment.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM

I read it and I think Hilary Butler said it best: It was an answer searching for a method.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#6 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
From the abstract

It was looking to see whether there was a neurological difference between full vaxed and selective/delayed vaxed. That was merely a suggestion for further studies. Just because it doesn't prove EVERYTHING doesn't mean that it proved NOTHING.
#7 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I read the study quickly last night.

Two words: Bonferroni adjustment.
I googled Bonferroni adjustment. I still don't get it. What's sad is that it's probably something kids learn in high school and I'm sitting here like
#8 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
It was looking to see whether there was a neurological difference between full vaxed and selective/delayed vaxed. That was merely a suggestion for further studies. Just because it doesn't prove EVERYTHING doesn't mean that it proved NOTHING.

It doesn't prove what they are trying to spin that it proves

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#9 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I googled Bonferroni adjustment. I still don't get it. What's sad is that it's probably something kids learn in high school and I'm sitting here like
No, sorry. It's a statistical term that one would not learn until, probably, a college-level stats class.

Basically, it means that when you run a lot of tests (like the 42+ they ran), you have to adjust the p-value to account for that. The p-value is typically set at .05, which means that for something (a difference between the 2 groups) to be accepted as statistically significant, the probability of that difference being due to chance is less than 5 in 100. Well, if you run 42+ tests, SOMEthing will come up significant, just because you've run that many tests. (and, with a p-value of .05, 5 tests out of 100 would come up significant, just due to chance). So, a Bonferroni adjustment, you divide the p-value by the number of tests you run.

.05/42 = .0011

None of their results would be significant if they had done a Bonferroni adjustment.

A good peer review should have stopped that paper right there. We make our undergraduate honors candidates use Bonferroni adjustments when they run more than 4 or 5 tests!

Although one might argue that it would still be publishable withOUT finding any differences between the lesser vaxed group and the most vaxed group, as this is the type of finding that the CDC would use as "evidence" that vaccines are "safe."

As the study stands now, the 2 groups - lesser-vaxed and more vaxed - were different on SES and mother's education (favoring the more vaxed group), and the differences on the neuropsy tests that favored the vaxed group all but disappeared when they statistically accounted for SES and income. The ONE difference that is left is the one they should not have accepted had they done a Bonferroni adjustment.

HOWEVER, the fact that the lesser-vaxed group had lower SES and lower mother's education means that it is NOT a good comparison group to the lesser-vaxed children of today. (not sure whether someone may have already said this up-thread)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileree View Post
I read it and I think Hilary Butler said it best: It was an answer searching for a method.
love this

Quote:
It doesn't prove what they are trying to spin that it proves
The headlines about this study are spinning it in the very direction that the CDC is probably very happy about.

ETA - and the majority of the lesser-vaxed group received all the scheduled vaxes by 12 months of age, they just didn't get them all in the first 6 months.

The lesser-vaxed group had 6 or fewer vaxes in the first 6 months of life. The on-time vaxed group had 7 or more vaxes in their first 6 mos.

#11 of 38 Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
None of their results would be significant if they had done a Bonferroni adjustment.
I think that's their point, yes? No difference between the early-full-vax and delayed-vax groups.

Quote:
Although one might argue that it would still be publishable withOUT finding any differences between the lesser vaxed group and the most vaxed group, as this is the type of finding that the CDC would use as "evidence" that vaccines are "safe."
Right. They didn't even bother discussing the two measures in which full-vax outperformed delayed-vax (NEPSY speeded naming and WAIS) in their conclusions section, because the effect is small, probably a statistical burp, and not central to the authors' point, which is no *adverse neurological outcomes* associated with early full vax.

I'm curious as to why you say this study doesn't count as evidence?

Quote:
HOWEVER, the fact that the lesser-vaxed group had lower SES and lower mother's education means that it is NOT a good comparison group to the lesser-vaxed children of today. (not sure whether someone may have already said this up-thread)
But they adjusted for SES, etc... so their results don't depend on that. I'm not clear on the concern here.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#12 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
From the abstract

I looked, and cannot find where you pulled your quote from. Can you please link me, if possible?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#13 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
I looked, and cannot find where you pulled your quote from. Can you please link me, if possible?
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ds.2009-2489v1
page 8, center column, towards the bottom.
#14 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 AM

So... infants vaccinated over a decade ago, on a different schedule, is relevant how?

#15 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerz2u View Post
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ds.2009-2489v1
page 8, center column, towards the bottom.
Thanks!!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#16 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
So... infants vaccinated over a decade ago, on a different schedule, is relevant how?
Because they're still part of the current vax recommendations. So if people are worried about vaxes causing neurological disorders they can cross these off their lists. Much fewer to investigate. And it's over a decade ago because they're trying to look at the long(er) term results. Most people want to see more vax studies include long-term results.
#17 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Because they're still part of the current vax recommendations. So if people are worried about vaxes causing neurological disorders they can cross these off their lists. Much fewer to investigate. And it's over a decade ago because they're trying to look at the long(er) term results. Most people want to see more vax studies include long-term results.
And according to media doctor Dean Edell, an ophthamologist, those studies will never be done, because they take too long.

He has said that for the past 30 years and I suppose he is right.
#18 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM

But... they didn't compare vax to unvaxed, they compared tons of vaxes to slightly less vaxes... Not that big of a difference, so... whats the point?

Coures, thats been my issue with most/all vax 'safety studies' the whole time: they never compare vax to a TRUE placebo (saline), the compare one vax to another vax!!
#19 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
But... they didn't compare vax to unvaxed, they compared tons of vaxes to slightly less vaxes... Not that big of a difference, so... whats the point?

Coures, thats been my issue with most/all vax 'safety studies' the whole time: they never compare vax to a TRUE placebo (saline), the compare one vax to another vax!!
All vaccine studies are like that. Don't be so surprised. Vaccine manufacturers do not want any studies to be done to compare vaxed and nonvaxed. Too risky for the old bottom line!
#20 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
And according to media doctor Dean Edell, an ophthamologist, those studies will never be done, because they take too long.

He has said that for the past 30 years and I suppose he is right.
You're kidding, right? In the past 30 years, they could have been conducting a well-designed longitudinal study.... Wow.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#21 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Right, but they are comparing vaccinated vs. vaccinated, and handpicked which neurodevelopmental outcomes were to be compared. As pointed out by pp, they did not include those with neurological disorders, particularly those with possibly vaccine-related neurological disorders.

#22 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
I think that's their point, yes? No difference between the early-full-vax and delayed-vax groups.
Yes, that was their point

Quote:
Right. They didn't even bother discussing the two measures in which full-vax outperformed delayed-vax (NEPSY speeded naming and WAIS) in their conclusions section, because the effect is small, probably a statistical burp, and not central to the authors' point, which is no *adverse neurological outcomes* associated with early full vax.

I'm curious as to why you say this study doesn't count as evidence?

But they adjusted for SES, etc... so their results don't depend on that. I'm not clear on the concern here.
The study doesn't count as evidence of vaccine safety. It is evidence that lesser-but-still-fully-vaxed-as-infants perform the same as vaxed-according-to-schedule infants on cogntive and psychomotor tests.

I like it. It makes me a little more comfortable. But it's not evidence of vaccine safety.

#23 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was their point

The study doesn't count as evidence of vaccine safety. It is evidence that lesser-but-still-fully-vaxed-as-infants perform the same as vaxed-according-to-schedule infants on cogntive and psychomotor tests.

I like it. It makes me a little more comfortable. But it's not evidence of vaccine safety.
I agree. Maybe the scope wasn't as broad as some people would have liked. And of course it doesn't prove the safety of vaxes in every area. But it does answer some questions. Especially for those who were wondering about vaxing on schedule versus delaying/selective vaxing. Not as much help for those who were wondering about no vaxing vs vaxing on schedule. Or no vaxing vs selective/delayed vaxing. But I guess they can't do a study that includes every possible situation and outcome. I think it will just be pieces at a time.
#24 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
Right, but they are comparing vaccinated vs. vaccinated, and handpicked which neurodevelopmental outcomes were to be compared. As pointed out by pp, they did not include those with neurological disorders, particularly those with possibly vaccine-related neurological disorders.

I think it was already mentioned, but the data they used is the same data they used to disprove thermisol has any effect on children/babies and does not cause autism. I actually had to find the full report on PDF, to see the true numbers. And we all know that study excluded any children who had a neurological disorder whether vaccine related or not. They are using the same slanted and questionable data, with a new twist.

It's increasingly difficult to believe these "studies", they assume if you don't have a medical degree your to stupid to understand the data and should keep your mouth shut and offer over your child's arm. I CAN understand, and I think they have made a good case when it comes to shots causing autism, that is not my main concern any longer.

But, you can't use the autism study to convince me that 40 shots by one years old has no neurological, physiological, biological and emotional consequences. Thats not what the original data was for, is it that hard to comapre non-vax to vax kids.

Mama to a baby boy

Mama to a crazy preschooler!nocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifselectivevax.gifhomeschool.gif

#25 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM

#26 of 38 Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
You're kidding, right? In the past 30 years, they could have been conducting a well-designed longitudinal study.... Wow.
...and according to Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, doctors do not want to deprive any child of the benefits of vaccination, so yes, that study will NEVER be done.
#27 of 38 Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM

Oh, I know thats how they do it. I'm just saying its stupid, and very bad science. I would love to see a true, double-blind, TRUE placebo (saline vs vax) controlled vax study, but I know it'll never happen. But, thats what I'd have to see in order to vax. Untill you show me a *REAL* safety study, theres no way I'm injecting my kid with something. We don't let them get away w/ not doing real placebo-based studies for any other medication, so why do they get away w/ it when it comes to vaccines??
#28 of 38 Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This study is extremely misleading, and I can't explain it better than Ginger Taylor of Adventures in Autism, so I'll just link to her blog post, titled, "Thomas Maugh Can't Read." http://adventuresinautism.blogspot.com/
#29 of 38 Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know thats how they do it. I'm just saying its stupid, and very bad science. I would love to see a true, double-blind, TRUE placebo (saline vs vax) controlled vax study, but I know it'll never happen. But, thats what I'd have to see in order to vax. Untill you show me a *REAL* safety study, theres no way I'm injecting my kid with something. We don't let them get away w/ not doing real placebo-based studies for any other medication, so why do they get away w/ it when it comes to vaccines??
Another reason (excuse) for not doing a double blind study between vaxed and unvaxed persons is that an immune response cannot be faked.

MMMM, O.K. Whatever.
#30 of 38 Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I would love to see a true, double-blind, TRUE placebo (saline vs vax) controlled vax study, but I know it'll never happen.
There's no conceivable reason that they can't do this in an animal model, but the last time I said that to a skeptic they told me I couldn't extrapolate the data to humans. We do it all the time... otherwise no drugs would enter the marketplace.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page