Still pushing the swine flu vax - June 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 06-05-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday we received a copy of our county's quarterly newsletter. There was an article stating that the H1N1 vax campaign was a success (42% of the registered school kids received the vax). It stated that the swine flu was still a threat and that there were lots of leftover vaccines and that everyone who wasn't vaccinated was strongly advised to get the vax because of the possbility of a third wave.

Is swine flu still on anyone's radar these days???
#2 of 61 Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Not on mine.

And where I live there don't seem to be any outbreaks of influenza at all.

But perhaps everyone was vaccinated except me.
#3 of 61 Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

No, but I hear the commercials on the radio that it's still available and that you should get one.

I chuckle every time I hear it.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 61 Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM

a little while ago I got a letter from the state saying ds still needs "his" swine flu vax. funny thing is, according to their schedule, my partially vaxed kid is missing a lot more than that, and swine flu is all they mentioned!

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#5 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
It looks like we're no longer doing month-by-month H1N1 threads, so I hope it's OK to start this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060403034.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFl...ry?id=10829940

What's really sad is that the public probably isn't going to catch wind of these articles in the same way that it learned about evil, horrid swine flu and the wonderful salvation that was the vaccine.

I, for one, would like a public apology from the vaccine dogmatists who denounced us skeptics as "conspiracy theorists."

As proven by these reports, these conflicts of interest are not a "conspiracy theory," but a well established fact. Public health authorities would do well to address this ethical breech if they have any hope of regaining our trust.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Bea

Quote:
"The idea that we declared a pandemic when there wasn't a pandemic is both historically inaccurate and downright irresponsible," said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl in a telephone interview. "There is no doubt that this was a pandemic. To insinuate that this was not a pandemic is very disrespectful to the people who died from it."
Huh? It's not like someone is 'insinuating' that it isn't a disease with the potential to kill, just that the extent of the disease was greatly exagerated for financial gain.

Nice shaming language.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#7 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Yeah, two or three people put up copies of the actual WHO web page where they changed the language defining pandemic about a month before the pandemic was declared.

I'll see if I can find a link...
#8 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Yes, we're still doing monthly threads so I'm merging these together.
#9 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, the local county health dept has ads all over the radio the past week urging folks to get vaccinated, that H1N1 is still around. Makes me want to puke.
#10 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Yep, that is your science-based medicine!

Step right up folks and get your magic vaccine which will save you from an illness which isn't currently around!

Snake oil, anyone?
#11 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Yep, that is your science-based medicine!

Step right up folks and get your magic vaccine which will save you from an illness which isn't currently around!

Snake oil, anyone?

And which could very well mutate to a point where the current vax is useless when it does come back around again!
#12 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
And which could very well mutate to a point where the current vax is useless when it does come back around again!
Yes, that makes it an even better deal...

toxic? check
irrelevant? possibly
needed right now? nope
relevant when the next round of influenza arrives? who knows?

but pharma feels like this:
#13 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Well they are sitting on millions of doses that are set to expire this month, so I am not surprised.

I agree it's dumb though.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#14 of 61 Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 PM

the picture of a pharma exec literally sitting on millions of doses (with needles?) made my evening. Unfortunately it isn't pharma which is getting stuck, but our governments. Which means us, the lowly taxpayers. Ouch!
#15 of 61 Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 AM

Last month we went to San Francisco and they had pink posters all over the Bay Area to get your swine flu shot (different posters with different reasons, bla bla bla). Back in february they were advertising in Michigan (weekend trip) and Colorado as well, haven't heard it since March though.
DH's family (SFO) are all up to date on their piggy shots of course (apart from the stray sheep that like natural living, lol).
#16 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I am disgusted by the way pregnant women and children were targeted to get the vax. I was pregnant during the hype, and no, I did not get the vax. One day the truth will come out about this. It has to. I can't stand the way our world is sometimes, full of lies and corruption. Why do so many people believe the lies? Grrrr!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#17 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM

I'm disgusted with how the vaccines are now being "disposed of" into citizens of "third world countries."

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#18 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 PM

Let me start off by saying I fully admit to being a hypochondriac. So, when someone told me the other day that the swine flu was going to be back this winter, I immediately started freaking out because we want to try to get pregnant this summer. Now, I'm terrified to get pregnant for fear of getting the swine flu and dying because I'd be pregnant. Then I heard that it's only dangerous in the 3rd trimester? Does anyone have some info on it? I really don't feel comfortable getting that vaccine....especially WHILE pregnant. It just really makes me nervous...Katie's never had a vaccine, and I NEVER get flu shots. I wasn't so worried last winter about it,but it seems SO much more risky for pregnant women, that I'm really scared to get pregnant now if the swine flu is gonna be back....ugh So THEN I thought maybe I could start trying at the beginning of next year so I would mostly miss flu season...anyways, it's driving me crazy, and I needs somebody to either talk sense into me or validate my freaking out. Thanks mamas!!
#19 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM

I got the swine flu vaccine last year, with no apparent ill effects. I'm 8w pregnant now, and I don't know how long that vaccine lasts, but I wouldn't hesitate to get it again if I had to, even while pregnant... getting that flu is just too big of a risk in my mind, with perfectly healthy pregnant women dying from it. Aside from total isolation, there's no sure way to avoid being exposed, and any risk from the vaccine appears to be very small.

If the time is right for you to get pregnant now, I wouldn't wait... there are too many unpredictable things in this world, and I would seize this opportunity with both hands if it honestly feels right to you. Also, while the flu might be easier to catch in the winter, you can get the flu any time of year, and it could well be Murphy's Law that you could wait, and then get exposed anyway. You have to make your own decision, but if you weigh the risk of possible DEATH over whatever tiny risk the vaccine may have, the choice seems clear to me.
#20 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM

If you're really worried about it, so much so that you might not feel safe getting pregnant, get the vax now. You have to wait to ttc for a month after getting the vax, but then you should be fine.

I felt similarly (though not out of fear for myself, but out of fear of 1) my immuno-compromised son getting it from me and 2) I knew I'd want to be pregnant soon and 3) I really didn't want to worry about the struggle to avoid the vax while pregnant...I DO NOT vax while pregnant). Rather than stress about it, I went and got the vax a few months before getting pregnant. I was healthy, I knew my body would have time to process it, and now I don't have to worry about it.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#21 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 PM

I wish I didn't have such reservations about the vaccine...From the things I've heard about it, it just makes me nervous.
#22 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Hi, I fully understand you! I was in your position before.

But, I made extended researches and those flu panics are hoax....really!

Make researches, Dr. Mercole talks about it (mercola.com) there is a book named swine flu hoax, etc.

What makes me freak the mos t is that governemnts could decide to force vaccinate everybody even if you don't want to...this is my real fear, not the flu season or stuff they say.

On my side I searched and saw that the shots are really dangerous and so unnecessary. There is data proofs and they fool us in the mainstream medias.

We are a couple with 4 kids 8-6-3-6 months and I was pregnant druing the last flu freaking out hoax season....never had any problems. We never ever vaccinated any of our childrens and we don't for us too. We will never do it even in an emergency said by the government because its all lies. Like in the time of spanish flu, search and you'll see, all lies, and those who made it through the pandemic were those who were not vaccinated. Actually they create pandemics by giving us the diseases in the shots. There is a testemonial of people who passed through the spanish flu without vaccines and they know all about it, its on youtube.

Also, I saw a research on mercola I think that showed that pregnant womans are actually really more protected than non pregnant womans becasue our systems takes commands and protects our baby. Its a natural thing for our bodys to protect us and strengten because life wants to reproduce. We are not less healthy and less protected when pregnant, its the opposite but what hey tell us....is that we are in danger, etc, all lies, and lies, and lies. They know exactly how to scare people, they take us by our most fragile things...they are mega powerfull marketer, they studdyed since decades how to control people by fear, and really they know how to do it, look at there sales, look at all that buy in to those crap.

I'm really serious, you can research for yourself. When you'll stumble upon articles and doctors that say its good and you must do it or avoid being pregnant or be prengnant but take the shot, go away from there and find those who say the opposite, you'll find the datas, the facts, the numbers.

The real danger is them wanting to vaccinate people and they could force it on us. The flu itself is a mild disease prooved by searchers. And as I sayd pregant womens are more able to pass through those things as the imune system and whole system is really up and active for survival of reproduction. Its also prooven that this flu is as mild as any flu we usually have and that its also not a pandemic, really not. Did you see all your family friends colleage, neigbors, etc diying in there homes and in the streets like when there was the plague? Do you see a real pandemic around you, people dying averywere and the system stopping to roll because of it6 I really see nothing has changed around me , my life is the same and the only thing is more people are vaccinated, more are toxic, more are having side effects and mega diseases and lost there babys because of it or have deformed babys or autism, etc. So sad.

They try to brainwash as many of us as possible to get the shots without violance and its working less and less, people are waking up even nurses, doctors, scientist, soldiers, etc.

Don't frighten the flu, frighten the shot givers, the gov, the coorporations that are all fooling us, you wont dye from a flu especially pregnant, but you could dye from a shot and your baby too.

Love to you and feel secure in your natural choices there are the way.
#23 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Soleya, I see your point about the media trying to scare people, but there were a lot of healthy,pregnant women that died from the swine flu....it seemed that it was a much bigger risk for otherwise seemingly healthy pregnant women...that's what scares me so much...and the worst part is that I don't feel comfortable getting that shot. It's an awful catch-22 for me....
#24 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM

I would never get the shot pregnant or not. Its a brand new vaccine and as such has never been studied long term (like a lot of vaccines) and so no one is positive of the long term effects.

You may even be immune to swine flu without knowing. You may have already been exposed but not suffered the effects. Your immune system may still have created antibodies against it in this case.

What I'm doing is being extra vigilant with hygiene. So lots of hand washing in our family, and avoiding people who we know are sick. We're taking good care of ourselves with good food, sunlight, exercise and plenty of water.

Maybe visit a naturopath who can advise you on what to do to take extra care of your immune system. Here's a basic approach - http://www.naturalnews.com/026168.html

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#25 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I received the vaccine when I was 5-6 weeks pregnant, with no apparent ill effects. I am a teacher, so I was at far too high risk of exposure not to get it, in my estimation.

Only you can make the decision that's right for you. I do think it's comforting now to know that the flu was more mild than expected. However, pregnant women were definitely among those suffering the more severe cases.
#26 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is scared about this vaccine. I guess I kinda feel like I am screwed if I don't get the vaccine, and I really don't want to get it...at all. I never even gave it a second thought when we weren't planning on another kid, and still wouldn't have thought about it had someone not mentioned to me the other day about it coming back this winter...ugh. I hate having to worry about this...
#27 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
I would never get the shot pregnant or not. Its a brand new vaccine and as such has never been studied long term (like a lot of vaccines) and so no one is positive of the long term effects.

You may even be immune to swine flu without knowing. You may have already been exposed but not suffered the effects. Your immune system may still have created antibodies against it in this case.

What I'm doing is being extra vigilant with hygiene. So lots of hand washing in our family, and avoiding people who we know are sick. We're taking good care of ourselves with good food, sunlight, exercise and plenty of water.

Maybe visit a naturopath who can advise you on what to do to take extra care of your immune system. Here's a basic approach - http://www.naturalnews.com/026168.html
I agree and will be doing the same. I also will be adding extra vitamin D to my diet, as well as an elderberry tonic for both me and dd.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#28 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
katiegrace, I totally understand, because it's scary to be between a rock and a hard place. And I'm also a hypochondriac. I can't give you medical advice, because no one really knows what will happen.
This is the current situation on the swine flu: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

As far as someone saying that the swine flu is going to be back, yes, it's possible. But there are also people saying the world will end in 2012 (just to tell you that you should judge the source of your information carefully). Then, if the flu is back, is it going to be similar enough to the previous strain that all the people who've been either vaccinated or had it, would be resistant to it, so the chance of YOU getting it are lower? The reason the swine flu was more dangerous to women in the 3rd trimester is that as the pregnancy progresses, it's harder to breathe...your lungs don't have as much room...so that's compounded by the fluid and phlegm produced by the flu. This is my info, so please research that yourself. So, in early pregnancy, I am not sure there is any more risk than for anyone else.

Now to analyze how many healthy pregnant women have actually died/had bad complications from the swine flu...do you have these numbers? And how many healthy pregnant women got the swine flu and survived it?

Now, IF the swine flu comes back, AND they determine that the original vaccine is actually active against it, you could get the shot at that time. There's a 2 week window, but most likely you'd hear about the increasing number of flu cases, and could then make a decision. At this point, we don't know if the vaccine would even be effective against the swine flu if it returns. Also, if you do get the flu, you could take the anti-viral meds. I am not sure how they compare safety wise against the vaccine, but I know my OB told me he'd want me to take them if I got the flu (any kind, not just swine flu).

Anyhow, there are lots of unknowns and choices still. I don't think you need to make a decision today (as far as the vaccine), and tomorrow can bring flu epidemics much worse than swine flu...there has never been a moment in history when it's 100% perfectly safe to have a child.
Good luck with whatever decision you make...
#29 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 10:06 PM

This is a really hard decision to make, and I can understand what you're going through because I went through it a couple of months ago. My GI doctor had finally given me the go ahead to get pregnant (we'd been trying to get my colitis under control before conceiving), and I was comfortable with not getting the shot. But then I read this news story about how there was another swine flu outbreak in some southern states. I'm in Florida. And I have asthma. And I was about to start TTC. I freaked out one day and just went out and got the shot. And that was the first vaccine I had in about 15 years, the last being a tetanus booster in high school. I even paid to have titers run so I wouldn't need to get another booster when I was immigrating to the US (they require you to be up to date on the vaccines or show proof of immunity). But I got the stupid H1N1 shot.

Two to three days after the shot, I started having strange pains in my stomach area. A week after I got the shot I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. None of the doctors know why I got it. I find the timing of the vaccine and this illness highly suspicious (and even though pancreatitis hasn't been linked specifically to the H1N1 vax - yet - it has been possibly linked with other vaccines, like gardasil). I did file a report so the CDC does have my information - what they do with it is up to them *shrug*

Honestly, now that I've been through it all and am pregnant, I'm glad I have the H1N1 immunity. But would I do it again knowing what I do now? (even though I have no idea if the vaccine actually caused my illness or not?) Heck no.

And I'm not anti-vax in general (as someone with an uncle in a wheelchair because he almost died from polio as a child, I can certainly appreciate their value), but I am very cautious about how many vaccines we do get and how many we give to our children, and so quickly. I'm also very reluctant to get any vaccines that I don't feel are very important, or not worth the potential serious (or even deadly) risks from the vaccine - even though the risks are very small.

We know there are risks to otherwise healthy women from swine flu. We know there are risks to getting a vaccine. I chose to err on the side of caution, for the sake of my future unborn child (took one for the team, I guess you could say, lol). It's a hard decision to make, but it's important to not get too swayed by either side of the pro/anti vax debate. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

(Oh, and I don't think you need to wait a month to ttc after getting the injectable vaccine - I think that's only with the live, inhaled virus - but don't quote me on that)
#30 of 61 Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post
(Oh, and I don't think you need to wait a month to ttc after getting the injectable vaccine - I think that's only with the live, inhaled virus - but don't quote me on that)
I believe you're right. I took the inhaled version. And yeah...it felt very much like taking one for the team.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page