Pertussis Epidemic in Bay Area/CA? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#61 of 69 Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone found data yet on vaccinated/unvaccinated kids coming down with whooping cough. I still have not been able to find anything.
#62 of 69 Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have to contact the CA health dept. I still don't have answers from them.
#63 of 69 Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM

I might need to post this in the health and healing section, but I was wondering when during the illness is it contagious, or the most contagious? Is it contagious the whole time the person has the cough, or at the start when the cold symptoms appear? I have a 3 week baby girl and my FIL has had a horrible cough that only bothers him at night, keeps him up and is real bad, but during the day he only coughs a couple times. I suggested to my husband over a month ago (maybe it was even 2 months ago) it could be WC, he's been told it was bronchitis and had been given inhalers (that don't work). I didn't think about it again until my daughter was born and they came to visit for the 4th of July weekend. My 2 1/2 year old daughter is also unvaxed. We are suppose to go up to where they live next weekend...I'm a little freaked out now.
#64 of 69 Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 AM

My understanding is that it's most contagious at the beginning when there are just mild cold symptoms, through the beginning part of the cough. After you've been coughing a while (1-2 weeks) you are no longer contagious--I think the bacteria goes away by then.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#65 of 69 Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
My understanding is that it's most contagious at the beginning when there are just mild cold symptoms, through the beginning part of the cough. After you've been coughing a while (1-2 weeks) you are no longer contagious--I think the bacteria goes away by then.
Thanks for your quick response
#66 of 69 Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Here is a chart from the CDC on pertussis deaths 2001-2003 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5450a3.htm

The page says there were 56 pertussis deaths in infants, 51 of them in infants under 6 months. That's an average of 17 infant deaths per year for three years.

We don't seem to be approaching that point right now. So why the alarm? Yes, it is tragic - every time pertussis is on a high - some small infants will die. But this has always been the case. Think of it. Pertussis vaccination has been in wide use since the 1940s. Adults and teens were not given boosters for 70 years. How can an increase in cases be the result of teens and adults not being vaccinated? Rubbish. There is no increase in pertussis deaths this year. But there is a giant increase in the diagnosing of teens and adults with the disease.

Secondly, according to the DAPTACEL insert:
Quote:
The potency of the acellular pertussis vaccine components is determined by the antibody response of immunized mice to detoxified PT...
That's PT for 'pertussis toxin', not the pertussis bacteria. They separate a few components of the b. pertussis bacteria and 'clean' them - but since the insert admits that the bacteria... "produces a variety
of biologically active components, though their role in either the pathogenesis of, or immunity to, pertussis has not been clearly defined.", the entire idea that this vaccination stops the spread of disease is dubious at best. In other words, if they don't know what component of the bacteria cause illness or immunity, how much do you trust the vaccine to give you immunity? The only thing we really know is that it is effective against the PT (pertussis toxin), so if you are carrying the bacteria, you are a whole less likely to know about it.

So yes, the nyt is right about one thing: symptomatic pertussis is more common in the unvaccinated because the vaccine does protect against the pertussis toxin(PT) which causes the symptoms.
#67 of 69 Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM

I just wrote this article on the recent pertussis epidemic. It includes the four related causes (yes, one of them is the cyclical nature of the disease) as well as tips in case your child gets pertussis.

http://www.peggyomara.com/2014/06/19...ssis-epidemic/
#68 of 69 Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Doesn't wc "resurface" every 5 years or so, anyway?
Yes, much like this thread.
rachelsmama likes this.
#69 of 69 Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaggyc View Post
Has anyone found data yet on vaccinated/unvaccinated kids coming down with whooping cough. I still have not been able to find anything.
Cue scary music...I think that is highly classified information...slow drum beat...screen goes dark.

Sorry! Couldn't resist.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page