Pertussis Epidemic in Bay Area/CA? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#1 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw this in our local paper. Has this come up yet on this forum? I am going to start poking around but would love some feedback on this or perspective.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_15362462
#2 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Subbing. I live in Sacramento County (a few hours east of the Bay Area), but this was being discussed in our local news as well.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#3 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing too- daily reports here in the Central Valley of an epidemic.
#4 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 AM

I'm looking, but I don't have the stats yet. I'm trying to find the actual number of vaccinated, partial vax and unvaccinated for the number of cases reported.
Just try to keep in mind during this, the news is prob not going to report the number of vaccinated persons down with this.
#5 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Doesn't wc "resurface" every 5 years or so, anyway?
applejuice likes this.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#6 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Doesn't wc "resurface" every 5 years or so, anyway?
yup...I think it goes in 4 year cycles

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It is endemic and then there is a surge every few years. Not sure if it is 3 or 5.

Funny, Marnica and I were posting at the same time. Somewhere between 3 to 5 years, I guess!
#8 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, this would be the cycle. I just would not want to be a new mom with an infant if we are on a surge. Several infants have died so that would make this a hard decision for parents for those who are open on the fence about vaccination.

My daughter is now nearly 3 1/2 but it did make me pause and wonder if this is going to be short lived or if there is something bigger brewing.

I am grateful she is in a small preschool, it's summer and there are fewer kids around so her exposure to "public" is more minimal. If she is not at preschool, she is home or at our property in the country. I won't keep her isolated but our normal lives doesn't take us out in public alot anyway. I am pretty sure I had WC when I was about 23. It was a really rough period to get through.
#9 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Forgive me if this is a silly question - but if it's cyclical, doesn't that means it's not an epidemic? I thought part of the definition of epidemic was that the number of cases exceeds what is expected. Sounds like this is somewhat predictable.

Thanks for the info.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#10 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM

That's my thinking since it cycles. But, they will say "oubreak" to push vaccines. For the deaths-they were under 4m right? So they would have been under the partially vaccinated status if they had received any at all. But, the media will push those deaths to the top to slam the non vaxers, and hide how old the babes were.
#11 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM

I read in the Press Democrat (Sonoma Co):
"California had 910 recorded cases of whooping cough as of June 15, five of which resulted in deaths. All five deaths were Latino children under 3 months of age."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...CLES/100629785

I live in San Diego and it has been in the news here as well. It is my understanding that WC is most "dangerous" to infants under 6 mos of age. Thoughts on this?

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#12 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM

#13 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
For the deaths-they were under 4m right? So they would have been under the partially vaccinated status if they had received any at all.
Presumably they contracted it from others who were older.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#14 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Here's a quote on the matter from Dr. Sheri Tenpenny today...

"Craziness. How to you like the WORDS chosen for this headline? I'm sure it was on the TV news too. And then they declair an epidemic over 5 deaths in the last six months. Pertussis is most serious in children under 3 months; this is really nothing new...and the statistic is pretty constant from year to year. Just a way to get the fear-drummer to whip up another round of hysteria. No on knows the Vitamin D3 stats of those hispanic babies...or anythign else about their health...and no one knows if what the out come would have been if they HAD been vaccinated. The "assumption" is that vaccines = no illness. Not true!"

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#15 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM

n/m

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#16 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
I'm looking, but I don't have the stats yet. I'm trying to find the actual number of vaccinated, partial vax and unvaccinated for the number of cases reported.
Just try to keep in mind during this, the news is prob not going to report the number of vaccinated persons down with this.
I haven't found any numbers on vax'd vs partial vs unvax'd either. Basically the same 2-3 articles being recycled on every local paper. It's interesting because when I first heard this on the radio a few weeks ago, it wasn't hysterical and blaming on philosophical exemption parents as it is now.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#17 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM

much more comfortable to blame the parents who question vaccination than it would be to face up to the shortcomings of the vaccine.

I'll make a prediction. At some point, someone will develop a new vaccine against pertussis which actually prevents transmission and carriage of this bug. At that point it will be admitted that the old vaccine didn't really work. But not before then.
#18 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Deborah, that is exactly what happened with the OLD DTP vaccine. they came out with the new one and all of a sudden it was, "and oh, by the way, that old vaccine was less than 50% effective."

#19 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM

JD, I am not sure as to Dr. Tenpenny's usual literary skills... but usually, on the internet, aren't things a bit more "casual"? I know I am certainly not careful about grammar online...and it's usually not a doctor's area of concentration, anyway. Ever tried to read their writing??

#20 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalusj View Post
I read in the Press Democrat (Sonoma Co):
"California had 910 recorded cases of whooping cough as of June 15, five of which resulted in deaths. All five deaths were Latino children under 3 months of age."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...CLES/100629785
This would make sense, particularly if these children came from undocumented immigrant families, who in many cases have no incentive to seek medical care. In fact, the powers that be discourage it.

Pertussis is treatable,
provided that people seek treatment.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#21 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

I'll make a prediction. At some point, someone will develop a new vaccine against pertussis which actually prevents transmission and carriage of this bug. At that point it will be admitted that the old vaccine didn't really work. But not before then.
This is actually a question I haven't been able to answer yet. I know that the old pertussis vaccine said in the package insert that it did not prevent transmission, but that statement isn't anywhere to be found in the new vaccine. Then they push campaigns for pertussis vaccination of adults who are around babies to "protect" them. What is the rationale behind the belief that the new pertussis vax doesn't prevent transmission? Is this a known characteristic of the vax? What sources tell us this? Or is it unknown at this point?

TIA.
#22 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
What is the rationale behind the belief that the new pertussis vax doesn't prevent transmission? Is this a known characteristic of the vax? What sources tell us this? Or is it unknown at this point?
http://iai.highwire.org/cgi/content/full/68/12/7175

Even the vaccine manufacturer feels it must admit in their advertisment that "It is unknown whether immunizing adolescents and adults against pertussis will reduce the risk of transmission to infants."
http://www.adacel-locator.com/index....E&P=HowS_pread under second photo
#23 of 69 Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 PM

I just saw this on yahoo news today.
I'll admit it put a little fear into me because DD currently has
a runny nose and itchy eyes. Not much of a cough yet, but she seems to have come down with something. I've been watching her and I scoured the vax and health threads on ways to treat it if she does have it. I'm picking up some SA tomorrow to get her started on that.
We don't vax, but she's 3 1/2 months, so she wouldn't have been vaxed fully anyways. Not that it matters with this particular illness.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#24 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

I asked perspective of this elsewhere of a pediatrician and appreciated the response and the perspective. PM me if you want to know more. Quite concise and clear. Pretty much sums up what is being said in this thread.
#25 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
I'm picking up some SA tomorrow to get her started on that.
What is SA? I'm freaking out here a bit b/c my 4.5 yo has a small cold and a nasty cough every once in awhile (worse at night). She also has a weird rash, so we're off to the doc tomorrow. I also have a 10 month old.

Any recs on prevention if it is pertussis?

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#26 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post
What is SA? I'm freaking out here a bit b/c my 4.5 yo has a small cold and a nasty cough every once in awhile (worse at night). She also has a weird rash, so we're off to the doc tomorrow. I also have a 10 month old.

SA is sodium ascorbate. It is a type of vitamin C. For pertussis, it is taken several times per day day to bowel tolerance. Too much will cause diarrhea.

If it is pertussis, the doctor will notify the health department and prescribe antibiotics. The antibiotics actually make the illness worse, but they do reduce the time the person is contagious. I personally would never take them for pertussis or give them to my kids, but I would fill the prescription to keep the health department off my back.
#27 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
What is the rationale behind the belief that the new pertussis vax doesn't prevent transmission? Is this a known characteristic of the vax? What sources tell us this? Or is it unknown at this point?

TIA.
Because the principle behind vaccination is not about prevention but the induction of infection.
#28 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post

There are some threads in the archives under pertussis with detailed descriptions of how to care for an infant with the illness. For an older child it isn't as serious, but the SA will still help.
#29 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
This would make sense, particularly if these children came from undocumented immigrant families, who in many cases have no incentive to seek medical care. In fact, the powers that be discourage it.

Pertussis is treatable,
provided that people seek treatment.
Not as treatable for young infants. 5 infant deaths so far, all babies under 6 months -- who obviously contracted it from an unvaxed child/adult. NY Times has an article on the deaths, sorry can't link right now. It is just tragic from any perspective.

All in "latino farm worker community" which I presume means undocumented. I very much hope vaxes / boosters are being offered free of charge to anyone in that community who wants one.
#30 of 69 Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesandNo View Post
Not as treatable for young infants. 5 infant deaths so far, all babies under 6 months -- who obviously contracted it from an unvaxed child/adult. NY Times has an article on the deaths, sorry can't link right now. It is just tragic from any perspective.

All in "latino farm worker community" which I presume means undocumented. I very much hope vaxes / boosters are being offered free of charge to anyone in that community who wants one.
1. They just as likely got it from vaxed adults/children, since it doesn't prevemt transmission, a vaccinated person would have less severe symptoms and think they just have a cough and wouldn't necessarily stay home and away from others. If they were vaccinated,they would also be less likely to be correctly diagnosed.

2. I work with migrant workers. They are all very well documented and highly vaccinated. The migrant workers act is very tightly regulated. MOst of the people I work with are from Mexico and they are more vaccinated as adults than people in the US.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page