Suppression of Dissent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I found a long but worth-reading article on how suppression of dissent manifests itself within the scientific community. The author mentions vaccinations but elaborates on different examples (e.g. fluoridating public water supply). Nonetheless, it shows some pretty powerful ramifications for those who dare to question vaccine dogma.

I hope that at least some of you get around to reading it. The longer version is better and more thorough, but the author published a shorter version in Newsweek.

Here's an excerpt from the longer article:

Quote:
What can be called suppression of dissent in science typically has two components. Firstly, a scientist does something - research, teaching, making public statements - that is perceived as threatening to a powerful interest group such as a corporation, government department, or professional group. Secondly, agents or supporters of the powerful interest group make attempts to stop the scientist’s activity or to undermine or penalize the scientist, for example by censorship, denial of access to research facilities, withdrawal of funds, complaints to superiors, reprimands, punitive transfer, demotion, dismissal, and blacklisting, or threats of any of these.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting! I saw a documentary that had a similar theme, but the focus was on scientists who believe in God and how they're ostracized by the scientific community. I forget what it was called... It had Ben Stein in it.
#3 of 6 Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM

ooh-- I am saving this to read slowly when i get a chance. thank you for sharing it.. a Foucault quote right at the beginning.. i imagine i will enjoy this one!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 6 Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes! I had read this some time ago. It reminded me of what Bernice Eddy went through when she suggested that SV-40 in the polio vaccine may have serious implications (ie cause cancer)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
Very interesting! I saw a documentary that had a similar theme, but the focus was on scientists who believe in God and how they're ostracized by the scientific community. I forget what it was called... It had Ben Stein in it.
Expelled. I think this is common--don't buck the "party line".

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#6 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
that is perceived as threatening to a powerful interest group such as a corporation, government department, or professional group.
I still feel like he is placing the blame outside the science community here for the most part. He forgot to add simply, "threatening to the way the science community teaches, believes and/or practices."

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page