Got a letter from the state - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday in the mail we got a letter from the state saying our child may be missing or not up to date on the whole list of vaccinations. Of course this is by our choice. The letter says we need to submit info to the state showing she has received them. Then it goes on to offer info on free vax clinic's etc. in the case that they were not done due to monetary restrictions.

We are in CO and I know we have the right for philosophical exemption. I've just never heard of this happening before. I obviously don't have anything to submit to them, and there is no number to call to let them know our plans. The letter wasn't attacking us or anything, but I did find it a bit weird. Also our dd1 is not up to date either but we did not recieve a letter about her.

Should I just disregard it?
TIA

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#2 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Some states do this from time to time. Just toss it. It means nothing really.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM

I was thinking that too, just ignore it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would disregard it. I've disregarded similar letters and never had a problem. You have no responsibility to "prove" your vax status to the state.

The only time you would need to file your exemption is when your child is school age or if you are putting them in daycare. We homeschool our kids through a private school and they just had me sign a little form and they hold it on file for us.

#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM

I got something similar to that letter in the past. I just completely disregarded it.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Speaking as a government employee (on a very low level), every once in a while someone will have to demonstrate that they are doing something about this or that "problem."

I'll bet that there is some sort of official concern in Colorado about how "low" the vaccine rates are. So some bureaucrat decided to send out letters to a bunch of families whose vaccine records are incomplete or whatever. They have no power to actually do anything and probably no particular interest in doing anything. But sending out a letter makes it look as though they are taking action.

This is the sort of thing that makes some of us cringe at the waste of resources.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page