What is the placebo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've been reading on the safety studies the CDC discusses in the pink books, and I was wondering, they say "the results were similar to the placebo". What are they using as a placebo? Another vaccine? A saline solution? Just curious. Thanks.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 14 Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another vaccine.
#3 of 14 Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Another vaccine.
Really???

So, how can they tell if it's safe- assuming the other vaccine has similar ingredients?

Is there anywhere I can find this info? (I believe you- I'm just trying to print up a bunch of stuff).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#4 of 14 Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Yeah, its such a scam. The fact that they don't *really* do placebo controlled trials on vaccines is one of my biggest reasons for not trusting them. I just don't get it - we insist on true placebos for everything else, but vaccines? Nope. Just another drug. Makes *no* sense to me.
#5 of 14 Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Actually, no, drug companies also test other stuff against established drugs. Because you can't leave a sick person untreated.

I got this from a book I read on Vioxx.

One of the Vioxx studies tested it against a well-established painkiller. There was an increase in heart disease deaths in the Vioxx arm. Merck argued that the well-established painkiller had a previously unnoticed protective effect against heart problems.
#6 of 14 Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Here is a great example of a study that was done for Gardasil. They actually used a saline placebo (I know- shocker!) What's interesting is how they manipulate the data.

In the tables starting on page 5, they have 3 columns. One for the vaccine, one for the aluminum containing control and a 3rd for the saline placebo. But by the time you get to page 7 and the tables showing systemic adverse reaction..miraculously, the three columns have become two and the placebo has been combined with the aluminum containing control.

Data manipulation at it's best.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...ardasil_pi.pdf

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#7 of 14 Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
quote removed ~amnesiac
Thank you!

#8 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
In the tables starting on page 5, they have 3 columns. One for the vaccine, one for the aluminum containing control and a 3rd for the saline placebo. But by the time you get to page 7 and the tables showing systemic adverse reaction..miraculously, the three columns have become two and the placebo has been combined with the aluminum containing control.
I'm failing to see the scandal here, unless you think that breaking out the saline group would be more damning to the AAHS control group, which would in turn be less damning to the Gardasil group.
#9 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I'm failing to see the scandal here
Because comparing Gardasil to a "saline placebo"* would show that Gardasil had a lot of adverse reactions. But if you compare Gardasil to an aluminum shot, the difference in adverse reactions won't be as much. Most in the control groups got aluminum shots. Only a small fraction got "saline placebo." It's almost as if they did that just for show. But instead of showing the difference in adverse reactions between Gardasil and "saline placebo," they lump the "saline placebo" in with the aluminum shots, making it look like Gardasil doesn't cause many adverse reactions compared to the control group.

* The "saline placebo" in the Gardasil safety studies is not actually saline. It is the carrier solution, which means everything in Gardasil except the HPV virus and aluminum. This is not indicated in the package insert. It is buried in an obscure FDA document. Read this article for more information. http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/05/a...guardians.html

Also, here is the Gardasil package insert. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM111263.pdf
#10 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
I've been reading on the safety studies the CDC discusses in the pink books, and I was wondering, they say "the results were similar to the placebo". What are they using as a placebo? Another vaccine? A saline solution? Just curious. Thanks.
The "placebos" in vaccine safety studies are either other vaccines, or aluminum shots, or thimerosal shots.

In the Gardasil safety studies, most in the control group got an aluminum shot as the "placebo." A small number of people got a shot containing the Gardasil carrier solution, which was everything in Gardasil except HPV virus and aluminum. The package insert very deceptively calls this a "saline placebo."

Here are all the package inserts, where you can get the details for each vaccine. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm093833.htm
#11 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM

A good link about this:

How vaccines are evaluated for safety

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...ed-for-safety/

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#12 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileree View Post
A good link about this:

How vaccines are evaluated for safety

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...ed-for-safety/
Excellent link. It clearly spells it out. You can then go to the package inserts to verify the information.
#13 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post
Because comparing Gardasil to a "saline placebo"* would show that Gardasil had a lot of adverse reactions. But if you compare Gardasil to an aluminum shot, the difference in adverse reactions won't be as much.
I thought, however, that Gardasil was in fact AAHS adjuvanted, so the comparison is "aluminum shot" versus "aluminum shot with VLPs."
#14 of 14 Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I thought, however, that Gardasil was in fact AAHS adjuvanted, so the comparison is "aluminum shot" versus "aluminum shot with VLPs."
Close. When Gardasil is compared to an aluminum shot, the comparison is aluminum shot versus aluminum shot with VLPs and carrier solution.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page