Hard, hot red lump at DTaP injection site - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (5) had the DTaP on Thursday. No other vaxes at that time, and his last one was the varicella vax 1 year ago. He has been vaccinated on schedule up until now, with no observable reactions.

He complained about it hurting that day, but said later that it was better. He dresses himself, so I didn't even look at it until putting sunscreen on him before his swimming lesson this morning. Then I was horrified to see that there is a large red lump (not raised significantly, but it's definitely a lump) just under the injection site, and it's hard and hot.

DS said that it doesn't hurt, and he hasn't had a fever or any other unusual symptoms. But it's been over 48 hours since the shot.

Is this a reportable adverse reaction? Other than a heating pad, is there anything else I should do?

I'm glad and fortunate that he didn't have a more severe reaction. I really wrestled with the idea of getting the DTaP for both kids, but am paranoid about the current upswing of pertussis in California, as both kids were preemies and I worry about their lungs. But I am SO glad I didn't get him the MMR, varicella, and Polio vaxes at the same time like the doc wanted me to!

TIA for any advice!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#2 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM

My pediatrician told me when I called about lumps at my stepson's injection sites that unless he was acting sick or running a fever they were normal. He had the chicken pox vaccine at the same time and had lumps on both, poor kid!

So, yes they can be normal. You might want to call your pedi and verify though.

I'm a mother to one, stepmother to one and wife to my one.
#3 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM

my doc has one shot that has everything in it. i would think it would be a reportable reaction and i would call him pead and ask them what to do.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 9 Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Yes, this is common with DTap. You could still put a call in to check/add to his record. Usually the 1st, 2nd vaccines are okay but 3rd and especially 4th and 5th boosters usually react, each one a little more than previously. My daughter had a bad reaction after her third. She hasn't had any more since. Her leg was hard with a lump for weeks, literally.

This is, however, just my experience. Our pedi told us it's very common and I've read similar on other forums, etc. but it would be great to hear more information on why, etc. as well.

Hugs to your lo! I hope he's feeling better soon.
#5 of 9 Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Have you ever had a tetnus shot? THEY SUCK! Before I knew any better, I let an ER doc bully me into getting one after shutting my finger in a very heavy wood drawer and slicing my finger open ( it bled like a siv, tetnus was TOTALLY unnecessary, but OT) My arm throbed and had a substantial lump for about 3 days.

My MIL also just had one recently for a bad burn on her arm from a school kitchen oven (more ) Her arm was a giant lump for almost a week, and SORRRRRRRRRRE.

Now I understand your son had Dtap, which isnt the same as the tetnus shot, but the tetnus toxoid is in it, right? So I would assume a similar reaction. Perhaps on a milder level.
#6 of 9 Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Have you ever had a tetnus shot? THEY SUCK! Before I knew any better, I let an ER doc bully me into getting one after shutting my finger in a very heavy wood drawer and slicing my finger open ( it bled like a siv, tetnus was TOTALLY unnecessary, but OT) My arm throbed and had a substantial lump for about 3 days.

My MIL also just had one recently for a bad burn on her arm from a school kitchen oven (more ) Her arm was a giant lump for almost a week, and SORRRRRRRRRRE.

Now I understand your son had Dtap, which isnt the same as the tetnus shot, but the tetnus toxoid is in it, right? So I would assume a similar reaction. Perhaps on a milder level.
The Tetanus shot you and you MIL got was most likely the DTaP or TDaP. They almost never have TT (tetanus only) available. At the very least you both got the DT

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#7 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Is this a reportable adverse reaction? Other than a heating pad, is there anything else I should do?
Yes, it's reportable. From what I've read the lump is a depot of aluminum and the body is reacting to it. I don't know what you can do though outside of waiting for the body to clear it.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#8 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! It's gotten smaller and less red since Saturday, but it's still there. I reported it to VAERS!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#9 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 AM

I actually got similar lumps with my PIO (progesterone) injections when we did our IVF. Although, mine were more like bruises than red. I think just about any injection can cause something like that, but I think it's always worth a call to the ped if you are concerned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page