Flu shot during pregnancy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
The package inserts for Fluzone, Fluvirin, Fluarix and FluMist state that no reproductive studies have been done on the safety of vaccines given during pregnancy, nor have risks to the fetus been investigated.
Same with the package inserts for the H1N1.

You can read the package inserts here:

seasonal flu: http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm094045.htm
H1N1: http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm181950.htm
#32 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Funny how things change, just 2 years ago nobody wanted to give me a flu shot while pregnant, now they look at you as if you were crazy.
This is why I am confused about the whole thing. When I was pregnant with DD it was 2006 when I got the flu shot. My OB told me I needed it, but the nurses said I MUST get a doctor's note and MUST be past first trimester. The OB acted annoyed, but the people giving the shots (at work) were insistent. I figured they would have better information than my OB, but I did it anyway thinking my OB was the one I should listen to. Some places say pregnant woman are "high risk" and need the shot, but in other countries, they are not and told not to get it.

But I feel more comfortable now saying no. And it could be why I got sick so much when I was pregnant, I wasn't sick at all during my pregnancy until after I got the flu shot (could have been the season though - but I never got sick like that since)

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#33 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I had a baby in May and did not get either flu shot. They did recommend both of them. I may have had mild H1N1 in the fall, plus didn't want to get a new vaccine.

What I did was take Vitamin D, about 2000IU/day. Here's a good article on that:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6868729.ece

I did get the regular flu shot during my other two pregnancies, but didn't really know that it wasn't so effective back then. The Atlantic had a good article last fall on its lack of effectiveness.
#34 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never gotten flu shots with any of my pregnancies. There are many things to do to prevent getting the flu besides lining up for a shot.

I recall reading a few years ago a neuroscientist researching maternal infections and mental illness in the offspring noted that it was not the actual influenza virus per se that was causing the changes in the brain of the fetus, it was the maternal reaction/inflammatory response. The neuroscientist was quoted as saying he wouldn't want his wife to get a flu vaccine while pregnant.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112301327.html

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/23/1/297

Of course, findings from this have gone both ways. Some argue that it is evidence to support getting flu shots to prevent getting influenza (and the associated maternal response), but from my perspective, if the flu shot is designed to create a similar immune response in the mother's body to prevent getting the flu, and the changes in the fetal brain are brought about by this response and not necessarily the flu virus, then wouldn't it be prudent to wait until more safety data is in and use other means to prevent influenza infection?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#35 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 PM

If you read the inserts to the flu shots, they specifically state that the flu shots are untested and results are unknown on pregnant women and fetuses and it advises right there that you should not get it if you suspect you are pregnant or are pregnant.

So, I would have to say "NO". Of course, I don't get the flu shot at all, so I definitely wouldn't get it during pregnancy.

The flu shot does contain neurotoxins that are not helping baby...especially one that is just forming its nervous system.
#36 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 PM

The package insert for the H1N1 swine flu vaccine says not to be given to pregnant women as they are not tested for safety and the long term effects are unknown. Just reading that should alert an expectant mother to its dangers.
#37 of 42 Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well I am of the opinion that flu shots in general are largely useless. They don't really work, never have and likely never will. This is supported by the medical literature.

So I wouldn't get one anyway, but even if I did believe they worked, I would NEVER get one while pregnant!!!!!!!!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#38 of 42 Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM

My respiratory guy...can't think of what they are called (pulmonary guy?). But anyway the one I go to for my asthma. I've had severe asthma since I was 2 (which has since gotten MUCH MUCH better on a gluten free diet)
He told me that I shouldn't get the flu shot unless I've had the flu. He said that the risk of getting the flu was lower than the complications of the shot, and that I would have to get a new shot each year to retrain my body how to respond. After I have had the flu once he would recommend it.

So I don't know everything that backs his statement, but I believe him. I think the new shot every year is because your body gets used to one response for a virus and doesn't change the response unless 'taught' too or something. Where as normal exposure with a strong immune system your immune system is still smart enough to figure it out on its own. Again this is a vague explanation I was given before I knew much about vaxs all together.

I have been closely exposed to the flu a few times since then and my body handled it (ie I didn't get it even though Dh who never gets sick was cuddling all night with me because he 'needs' to be babied when sick for a week and a half)

I guess my point is unless you've gotten it before and feel immune depressed (like more than just pregnancy) then I wouldn't consider it based on a vax friendly doc position.

BUT I will say the mercury still being used in the flu shot worries me. I don't eat high mercury fish, canned foods or HFCS while pregnant out of concern for mercury...follow me?

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#39 of 42 Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
My respiratory guy...can't think of what they are called (pulmonary guy?). But anyway the one I go to for my asthma. I've had severe asthma since I was 2 (which has since gotten MUCH MUCH better on a gluten free diet)
He told me that I shouldn't get the flu shot unless I've had the flu. He said that the risk of getting the flu was lower than the complications of the shot, and that I would have to get a new shot each year to retrain my body how to respond. After I have had the flu once he would recommend it.

So I don't know everything that backs his statement, but I believe him. I think the new shot every year is because your body gets used to one response for a virus and doesn't change the response unless 'taught' too or something. Where as normal exposure with a strong immune system your immune system is still smart enough to figure it out on its own. Again this is a vague explanation I was given before I knew much about vaxs all together.

I have been closely exposed to the flu a few times since then and my body handled it (ie I didn't get it even though Dh who never gets sick was cuddling all night with me because he 'needs' to be babied when sick for a week and a half)

I guess my point is unless you've gotten it before and feel immune depressed (like more than just pregnancy) then I wouldn't consider it based on a vax friendly doc position.

BUT I will say the mercury still being used in the flu shot worries me. I don't eat high mercury fish, canned foods or HFCS while pregnant out of concern for mercury...follow me?

A new shot every year is needed because the flu virus constantly mutates and changes, thus the need to reflormulate the vaccine and try to include (based on guessing) what strains will be prevelant in the upcoming season.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#40 of 42 Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
A new shot every year is needed because the flu virus constantly mutates and changes, this the need to reflormulate the vaccine and try to include (based on guessing) what strains will be prevelant in the upcoimg season.
And sometimes the strains in the vax are already obsolete by the time the vax comes out.

2 years ago that was the case.

But that's generally not publicized.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#41 of 42 Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM

lillymonster,

I think you are on the right track.  Your DD's sensory issues and delays may well be attributed to the flu shot you received during your pregnancy.  I also have a flu shot baby, DS #2 who is now 5. I also remember an excessive amount of hiccups when he was a baby!  Don't know if there is any connection there, though.  DS #1 was very bright and hit his milestones early.  He was very outgoing, and was an early talker, too.  DS #2 had a speech delay, a fine motor delay, some OCD tendencies, and sensory issues (wouldn't "hear" us when we said his name, easily overstimulated in busy environments, super high pain tolerance, ect.)  The flu shot contained the full 25mcg mercury, and after doing some research on the stuff, I am convinced that it was the main culprit.  Even the ACOG tells women not to eat certain kinds of fish because of the mercury risk, and yet they have no problem with it in a flu shot? 

I have also run across other moms (3-4 at least) with a similar experience: they have a child with sensory issues or a speech delay, and come to think of it, they also had a flu shot during the pregnancy.  My DS #1 and #3 are typically developing, and I did not get any shots during their pregnancies.  It is only anecdotal evidence, but that may be all we get.  It's not as if the CDC wants to find that connection. 

On the other hand, many of the flu shots this year are mercury free, which is very good news!  Personally, I will never get the flu shot again.  However, if I did, I would choose mercury free. 

Best wishes for a healthy baby!

#42 of 42 Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

I'm glad someone mentioned the fact that they are basically taking an educated guess of which 2 strains of flu will be the most prevalent and those are the two for which the vax is made. 

OP I did get a flu shot during my pregnancy (the first flu shot I ever got)...It was before I had switched to my MW and the OB at the time bullied me and lectured me with DH in the room about how DD would die in the womb if I didn't get it...Sigh, if I had known then what I know now I would have just marched out of the room...

Has everyone who said they had the flu horribly and that is why they got the flu shot get tested to see if they actually had the flu? My experiences have been that I rarely actually get the flu but another virus that does exactly the same thing. There is my issue with the flu shot, it is only protecting against something very specific, every time I ever have become sick with flu like symptoms and gone to a doc it has just been unnamed  virus, not FLU...Purely anecdotal of course. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page