Flu shot during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your views? I have a person who calls through DH insurance and she mentioned I should get h1n1 and regular flu shot. I didn't get the h1n1 when I wasn't pregnant, so I am not sure how I feel about that. Midwife has said nothing so far.

I got flu maybe once in my life before I ever got pregnant, then twice in one year when DD was like 2 (she never got sick either time - never got a flu shot either)

I got the flu shot when I was pregnant with DD when she was 4 or 5 months, sometimes I wonder if it was the causes of her multiple food allergies and eating delays and sensory issues. She has outgrown everything but soy, and still has some sensory issues. She was vaccinated up until 6 months, but she had issues starting at 6 weeks and seemed to have issues in the womb (constant hiccups in the womb, which was always the beginning of her allergic reactions after she was born)

I do not want to get it, but I do remember getting sick a lot when I was pregnant with DD.

So thought? Articles I should read either way? I am on the fence

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#2 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Totally my (admitedly very biased) opinion - HELLS NO. I've never gotten the flu shot, and I would definitely not get it when I'm pregnant. There have been many reported miscarriages after getting the H1N1 shot, which I've *heard* will be included in the regular Flu shot this year. Could anyone confirm that?

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#3 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM

I asked about getting the shot last year just before we started TTC. Both the pediatrician and the midwife said "if you wouldn't get the flu shot normally there's no reason to get it now" and the ped told me that this year's flu shot would include H1N1 (so no separate shot necessary).

I've also read alot about the flu shot causing pre-term labor & miscarriages. I don't know of any research established link but still not a risk I'm comfortable taking.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Ditto to everyone. I haven't had a flu shot since my early teens (and, coincidentally, I got Epstein Barr that year...) and I never get the flu. If you're not at risk already (like, immune compromised or something) I would just make sure you were eating properly and avoiding sick people.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 06:19 PM

I will be getting it. I have asthma, and on top of that the fibromyalgia takes a heavy toll on my immune system. Until I started getting flu shots a few years ago, I spent every winter nearly bedridden from one respiratory illness after another. Since I've been getting the shot, I haven't had a single major respiratory infection, and the minor ones have been over in a week or so.
#6 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Well, I can tell you that I'm not as anti-vax as many on MDC, and I don't get flu shots while pregnant. I don't get flu shots normally anyway except when I worked in a hospital and it was required. If you are healthy, there's probably no reason to expose your baby to something that you probably won't get anyway. Plus, there always seems to be a shortage. I feel like I'm young and healthy so I shouldn't take one that could go to an elderly or immunodeficient person who may need it more.

I think they have to recommend it to everyone. My last OB asked, I said no thank you and that was that.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#7 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM

The flu shot only "prevents" flu it does NOT prevent any other upper respiratory infection. It isnt made that way.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM

I have never had one before and I won't start now!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#9 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
The flu shot only "prevents" flu it does NOT prevent any other upper respiratory infection. It isnt made that way.
I'm well aware of that. However, when I get the flu (and I would always get it, every single winter) it takes months for my body to fully recover, during which time I tend to catch every respiratory illness that crosses my path. When I don't get the flu in the first place, I'm able to fight them off quickly and they don't inevitably progress into things like bronchitis or sinus infections.

YMMV.
#10 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 PM

The one time I got an "I want to die" case of the flu was when I was pregnant with DD and had had the shot. I've never had it again. I won't be getting it this time and no way will I be getting the H1N1 shot. DD got swine flu last fall, we handled just fine here at home, never went in.

Jenn
#11 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 PM

I will be getting it, but I am a healthcare worker, so I have more exposure than most people. And I work with patients from newborn to adult, so I get a flu shot every year in an attempt to protect both myself and my patients, many of whom are too young to receive a flu vaccine themselves. I am admittedly quite pro-vaccine compared to most of the ladies on this forum. Though most of my coworkers would consider me to be slightly anti-vax.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm

"Getting the flu shot is the single best way to protect against the flu. It is important for a pregnant woman to receive both the 2009 H1N1 flu shot and the seasonal flu shot. A pregnant woman who gets any type of flu has a greater chance for serious health problems. Compared with people in general who get 2009 H1N1 flu (formerly called “swine flu”), pregnant women with 2009 H1N1 flu are more likely to be admitted to hospitals. Pregnant women are also more likely to have serious illness and death from 2009 H1N1 flu. When a pregnant woman gets a flu shot, it can protect both her and her baby. Research has found that pregnant women who had a flu shot get sick less often with the flu than do pregnant women who did not get a flu shot. Babies born to mothers who had a flu shot in pregnancy also get sick with flu less often than do babies whose mothers did not get a flu shot."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/influenza/AN00651

"Pregnancy puts extra stress on your heart and lungs. Pregnancy can also affect your immune system. These factors increase the risk not only of getting the flu but of developing serious complications of the flu, such as pneumonia and respiratory distress. In turn, flu complications may lead to miscarriage, premature labor or other pregnancy complications. A seasonal flu shot can help prevent these potential problems."

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#12 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM

No way will I be getting any vaccinations, especially when pregnant.

caffix.gif

#13 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythryne View Post
I'm well aware of that. However, when I get the flu (and I would always get it, every single winter) it takes months for my body to fully recover, during which time I tend to catch every respiratory illness that crosses my path. When I don't get the flu in the first place, I'm able to fight them off quickly and they don't inevitably progress into things like bronchitis or sinus infections.

YMMV.
I'm an asthmatic too, although luckily I'm not prone to upper respiratory infections at this point. If I were in your shoes, I would get the flu shot.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#14 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I only got the flu shot because I had preemies. With both of my kids no longer at risk, I doubt I will get the shot this year. I'm not a fan of getting shots. And DEFINITELY not if the h1n1 is included.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#15 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythryne View Post
I will be getting it. I have asthma, and on top of that the fibromyalgia takes a heavy toll on my immune system. Until I started getting flu shots a few years ago, I spent every winter nearly bedridden from one respiratory illness after another. Since I've been getting the shot, I haven't had a single major respiratory infection, and the minor ones have been over in a week or so.
Actually there have been quite a few studies that have shown that the preservatives in vaccines (thimerasol, aluminum, etc) exacerbate (and there's some speculation about causing) fibro. I have fibro-like symptoms (never been dx) and wouldn't get a flu shot for that reason. Most people I know that do get the flu shot, wind up sick.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#16 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 PM

I won't be getting the flu shot. We don't do any shots/vaccines, though. Admittedly, MDC probably won't be the most unbiased place for information about vaccinations. I would do some hefty research and wait to make a decision until you feel well informed. You can always get vaccinated, but you can't take a vaccine out of you.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#17 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
I won't be getting the flu shot. We don't do any shots/vaccines, though. Admittedly, MDC probably won't be the most unbiased place for information about vaccinations. I would do some hefty research and wait to make a decision until you feel well informed. You can always get vaccinated, but you can't take a vaccine out of you.
I am having trouble finding information about the flu shot while pregnant. I can find stuff on vaxes for kids, but not for pregnancy, so I thought I would ask. I rarely get sick, I stay at home with DD, she is not in preschool. While I understand I can be at risk for problems without taking it - I just find it odd that my daughter had so many issues, that I know started in the womb. No one can predict allergies, but her eating delays and sensory issues make me wonder, because for a while there therapists were trying to label her as autistic. She got better after I cleaned up her diet and stopped her vaxes for 2 1/2 years.

I don't understand this statement thought "Babies born to mothers who had a flu shot in pregnancy also get sick with flu less often than do babies whose mothers did not get a flu shot."

Don't you have to get a flu shot every year for that to be true? Is this only in the first year? Because yes I got one, but my daughter has never had a flu shot, she is 3, even with DH and I both had the flu, so she was exposed 4 times in one year. She never got sick. In fact, she has never been sick with a cold or flu. I can't believe that one shot I got protected her that long, especially since they only do the strains they think will be the worst.

The problem is too my DH is very anti flu shot. whether it's coincidence, I don't know, but he gets sick after he gets it. His dad got the shot, and 24 hours later got sick and was sick for 2 weeks. Maybe it was something else, but it seems to be a pattern in his family so he refuses to get it.

Other vaccines I can look at and judge, but there seems to be so much more news about the flu, especially h1n1, I find it hard to find unbiased info.

#18 of 42 Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Actually there have been quite a few studies that have shown that the preservatives in vaccines (thimerasol, aluminum, etc) exacerbate (and there's some speculation about causing) fibro.
I've seen the studies. My parents were very anti-vax and I was never vaccinated for anything as a child or teenager, and I had had fibro for over a decade before I ever started getting flu shots. I occasionally get a mild flare for a day or so after getting one, but any intramuscular injection (not just vaccines) will do that to me, and overall my health has been much better since I've been getting them.

I am not saying the flu shot is right for anyone else (and indeed, most of the people I know don't get it) just that I respond well to it, find it beneficial and intend to continue getting it. I will bow out now, since I appear to have a rather unpopular opinion on the matter and I have no wish to get involved in a debate.
#19 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

I don't understand this statement thought "Babies born to mothers who had a flu shot in pregnancy also get sick with flu less often than do babies whose mothers did not get a flu shot."

Don't you have to get a flu shot every year for that to be true? Is this only in the first year? Because yes I got one, but my daughter has never had a flu shot, she is 3, even with DH and I both had the flu, so she was exposed 4 times in one year. She never got sick. In fact, she has never been sick with a cold or flu. I can't believe that one shot I got protected her that long, especially since they only do the strains they think will be the worst.
Is it because of building up the immunity? We do get flu shots, we are an asthmatic family with some allergies. Whenever any of us get any sort of resperatory illness, it lasts forever, (3-4 weeks for me), and becomes very serious. DD coughs so violently she vomits. What I've learned with my two is that they actually need 2 shots their first time, a month apart. So, maybe that's what getting a shot while pregnant helps start? I have no idea, just guessing.

I did get the regular flu shot last year while pregnant, but not the H1N1. I didn't think it was worth the risk, since it was so new.

(I am a member of MDC but not nearly as anti-vax as others, so my opinion isn't reflective of the majority, probably.)

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#20 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 AM

i am not anti-vax. have been getting the flu shot every year since i can remember. my asthma in the winter without the flu is challenging enough. i have no interest in complicating it with the flu. with that said, i have had the flu before and it was a horrible experience.

hoping for a !
#21 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
There are references down at the bottom of the page. I don't have time to look through them now, but you might get more information there. My guess would be babies of immunized mothers get influenza less often primarily because their mothers get the flu less often and so they are exposed less. Perhaps there is also some transfer of antibodies via the placenta and breastmilk?

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#22 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoElias View Post
There are references down at the bottom of the page. I don't have time to look through them now, but you might get more information there. My guess would be babies of immunized mothers get influenza less often primarily because their mothers get the flu less often and so they are exposed less. Perhaps there is also some transfer of antibodies via the placenta and breastmilk?
I didn't find anything to really back up that statement. The statement didn't say how less often (5%, 20%, 2%,less than .001%, 75%?) so it's too general of a statement for me.

I am more concerned about complications for me if I do or don't get it, especially if I am in a low-risk situation. And I still am wary after the problems I had with DD when she was a baby. Every time she got a vaccine, she was sick for a week or more after I stopped getting them (crying, blood in stool, projectile spit up). So she was either not able to handle them or was allergic to an ingredient. I am wondering if it started in the womb with the flu shot I got.

#23 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 06:07 PM

My wife had to get one for work. Everyone said it would be fine.

We ended up in the ER that night for 13 hours. She felt horrible but they couldn't find anything wrong. The next day she was fine.

Wife + Me = Paige 11/08 and Hanna 1/11 h20homebirth.gif
#24 of 42 Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
I am having trouble finding information about the flu shot while pregnant. I can find stuff on vaxes for kids, but not for pregnancy, so I thought I would ask. I rarely get sick, I stay at home with DD, she is not in preschool. While I understand I can be at risk for problems without taking it - I just find it odd that my daughter had so many issues, that I know started in the womb. No one can predict allergies, but her eating delays and sensory issues make me wonder, because for a while there therapists were trying to label her as autistic. She got better after I cleaned up her diet and stopped her vaxes for 2 1/2 years.
Here are a few things I found for you about NOT getting the vaccine. (Again, forgive the one-sided aspect, but I searched for information on NOT getting it because finding pro-vaccine information is very easy to find.)

Again, I don't pass judgment on anyone's decision to vaccinate or not. I trust that each person has made an educated decision for themselves. Best of luck in researching this. I know it can be overwhelming!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#25 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM

I am extremely pro-vaccination, but I don't usually get the flu shot. I can't remember ever having the flu (I very rarely get sick) and I find getting stuck with needles unpleasant so I just don't bother. We had our daughter immunized against H1N1 last year as she was in a higher risk group, but as the rest of us were in a low risk category we skipped it. She was fine: no side effects, and she didn't get the flu.

I may consider getting us all a flu shot this year just because of my January due date. I don't really want us all getting sick right after the baby is born. There is a slight risk in getting any vaccine, of course, but as with all vaccines I believe that the risk of getting the vaccine is less than the risk of not getting the vaccine. In the case of the flu vaccine I don't think the risk is great either way, which is why I'm ambivalent about the vaccine.

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#26 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do vax, but I don't get teh flu vaccine (esp while pregnant). Just a few years ago they were recommending against it.

I would take a good look at your history with the flu-- do you get it often? I don't think I"ve ever had the flu (at least not that I can remember). I'm just not in high risk situations, I guess. (I don't work near sick people, (in a hospital, dr's office, ect). My ds is not in school. I make a special effort to wash hands, and after the baby's born make an effort to wash it's hands and limit contact with other people.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#27 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You couldn't force me to get either. Or pay me. When I was pg with #4 it was December and I remember watching the elderly and children being forced into them at my kids' indoor swim lessons. I have never gotten and will never get a flu shot. I had the flu once when I was 8 years old and used to work adult med/surg with a lot of elderly flu patients all through the winter and I was one of a couple of people who refused the shots and we never got the flu. Everyone I know that gets them, gets sick. My dh is diabetic and last time he got a flu shot (he has since stopped) he got severely ill. None of my kids have ever gotten them and they've never had the flu (that I know of). I especially would not get the shot during pregnancy.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#28 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Moved to vaccinations, per DDC guidelines.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#29 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Nope, won't be getting it. I'm pregnant this year and won't be getting any shots while pregnant. I had piggy flu last year and it was 5 days of strong cold. I don't have allergies, asthma or any other underlying issues. I once got a flu shot when I was 20, the college doc convinced me and incidentally I got really bad colds that year, which I never got before nor again. Anecdotal, but I'm sure the shot lowered my immune system.
Nobody in our household wants the flu shot, but DH has to get it (military). We always make sure he goes off-base to receive a shot instead of their Flumist stuff. Baeh.
Reasons not to get the flu shot are very clear to me, especially if one looks at the efficacy, side effects and how they mostly ever get the 3 strains wrong they pick for it every year. My very pro-vax MD sister is very opposed to vaccines during pregnancy, plus I know it is not even recommended before 16 weeks in Germany (they tell you to wait since the first 16 weeks are extremely sensitive). Funny how things change, just 2 years ago nobody wanted to give me a flu shot while pregnant, now they look at you as if you were crazy.
#30 of 42 Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Even when we did fully vaccinate we always refused the flu shot. My Mom, sister and brother are all ER nurses and all will tell you NOT to get the flu shot. They threatened a friends sister with making her wear a mask to work because she was a nurse and refused a flu shot ( she was pregnant) she said NO PROBLEM she would wear on but she wasnt exposing her baby to what was in the flu vaccine.

in 30 yrs of working the ER and taking care of people who were sick my mom NEVER got a flu shot and refused to give them to her co workers ( since one year everyone got the flu just after getting the shot and she had to do back to back double shifts :P )

4 babies all healthy an no flu shots here.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page