I have a possibly odd question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to make this short and sweet, so here's the deal:

My kids need to get physicals before they start school and we don't have insurance currently. My mother in law works at a doctors office (in alabama, we live in florida but are right over the state line) and I could get their physicals at her office for free or for very little probably. However, my mother in law is not aware that we do not vax and I'm not keen on filling her in. They just aren't very...accepting and I have enough going on in my life right now. Here's my question: if I took my girls to the doctor she works for, would he request an immunization record? And if so, if I told him I left it at home/forgot it, would they still be able to say, call the health department or a previous doctor to try and find them out? Just trying to cover my bases here. Thanks for any responses!

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin"
#2 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Well, it depends if you are ever planning on going back to MIL's Doctor. You'll have to fill out the history forms and the doctor will ask you if they are up to date on the vaccinations but unless you sign a form giving him permission to send to your old doctor's office for their medical records, there would be no way of him knowing you lied if you tell him yes, they are up to date. If you were going to go back to him though, he would bug you to get the old records.

I don't know about Florida, but Alabama has mandatory vaccine reporting- if your child gets a vax, the Dr has to report it to the state and the parent is not asked for permission nor can they opt out. I don't know if a doctor in Ala could check the Florida registry to find out what vax they had.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#3 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM

I would not. I would contact the local school and ask if there are doc's that provide the exam for free or cheap. They often have a list for people that have no ins. Or talk to your public health nurse. I don't like to mix family into ANYthing private- espically with kids.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#4 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 AM

I wouldn't. I'd go to the health dept., Walgreens, or our chiro does them for only $25.
#5 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice! I'll call the school tomorrow, unfortunately our health department isn't doing them at ALL this summer, and our local Walgreens does not provide physicals. I'll check around, the only place I've contacted so far is the Urgent Care office and they charge $65 and I need 2 so I really didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to. Thanks again!

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin"
#6 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Florida has a religious exemption for school physicals.

To Whom it May Concern,

I am religiously opposed to school physicals. Please excuse my children from this requirement.

Sincerely,
deesmomma

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM

I used the exemption for CT. We don't have a ped and DD has never been to one.

Here is the Statute:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Family/Sc...ryExam7-02.pdf

Florida shows that the exam exemption must be on the immunization exemption form. That form doesn't seem to be available on line, so I'm not sure where on the form it goes - maybe you just have to write it in. I would include the actual statute. My school nurse had never seen a physical exemption before and that was helpful.

Quote:
Any student will be exempt from the requirement of a physical examination upon written request of the parent/guardian stating his objections to such an examination on religious grounds. This exemption request must be presented on DH Form 681 (Religious Exemption form Immunization, i.e. Religious Exemption), obtainable through the DOH Pinellas County/Public Health Unit.
http://www.pcsb.org/HealthServices/M...quirements.pdf

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#8 of 12 Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It's not on the DoH681. You just write a letter of your own composition.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM

I live here in Florida, and I went to the Public Health Dept to fill out forms (dont expired have to transfer them to each school) for all my 3 kids. My Mosque also has a free clinic which I take them for school physicals and they dont offer vaccinations there so I dont have the hassle.
#10 of 12 Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM

The school here provides free physicals with parents present or some choose not to be there. I am actually considering having them done at the school this year to save me the $ and the BS I get at the Dr. office because of no vax and ds being intact.

You should see if that is something they do there.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Florida has a religious exemption for school physicals.

To Whom it May Concern,

I am religiously opposed to school physicals. Please excuse my children from this requirement.

Sincerely,
deesmomma
I imagine I could write the same letter for vax exemption too correct? short and sweet.. we homeschool but are registered under a umbrella school.
#12 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM

For vaccination exemption, it's my understanding that you need the DOH form 681. I wasn't hassled about it at my local Health department, and now it's just sitting in my file of papers, but at least I have it if asked. You may not even ened to bother if your kids do not participate in a formal public school.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page