Tetanus Shot after car accident - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recently my children and I were in a car accident. Both air bags deployed and we all walked away from the accident. We did go to the ER for xrays and to see that everything was okay. Everyone was fine but as the doctor was checking me, he wanted to know if I was up to date on my tetanus. I told him I wasn't sure and he informed me that he would give me a tetanus shot because both air bags deployed. I declined and he never pushed the issue and I never thought to question why there would be a need for a tetanus shot after my accident. I have whiplash, and brusing to my neck, chest and arm. I had no open wounds. I have tried to find information as to why a Tetanus Shot would be needed after an accident but haven't found anything. I would appreciate if someone had info to share.

Thanks for your time.
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabslenz View Post
I have tried to find information as to why a Tetanus Shot would be needed after an accident but haven't found anything. I would appreciate if someone had info to share.
Because it could be in the dust they put in the airbag to keep it from sticking together? I really have no idea why. About the only thing is that it's sort of an SOP kind of thing to give people the tetanus vaccine when they're in the ER. I think they figure it might be the only way some folks might get it.
#3 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hi pampered_mom,

Thank you! The doctor was only concerned about me and never asked about the kids. We were all in the vehicle, exposed to the air bag dust so I tend to think it's just a SOP too.

Thanks,
Janet

#4 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM

There is a HUGE push for the adult pertussis vaccine right now...It contains D, P and T. I wonder if they were just trying to get their numbers up?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Sounds like a routine vax push with no actual medical need. Tetanus because the air bags deployed, I've heard it all now.
#6 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM

ha ha ha .. I second PP

Next time they will recommend once black cat crosses the street in front of the car.. as could have been potential carrier of it.. or his feces?

being inside the car at the time of the incident will matter little.
#7 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies,

I have found no medical need either and I am soooo curious. I have submitted an inquiry to Dr. Mercola's blog in the hopes that he will respond to my question. I will keep you posted if I hear anything back from him.

Thanks again,
Janet
#8 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Every contact with a patient is an opportunity to immunize.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabslenz View Post
Thanks ladies,

I have found no medical need either and I am soooo curious. I have submitted an inquiry to Dr. Mercola's blog in the hopes that he will respond to my question. I will keep you posted if I hear anything back from him.

Thanks again,
Janet
Please rememeber to update us. I'm curious to know what he says.
Thanx!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting anotherĀ in March! love.gif

#10 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

No word yet from Dr. Mercola. Still looking for info on this but I tuly believe it was just SOP. I'll let you know what I find out.
#11 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Uh, I went in for a miscarriage a few years ago and they asked if I was up to date with my Tetanus vaxes, as well. I don't remember a whole lot, but I do remember my husband asking, "Tetanus for a miscarriage? Should I be at all concerned about the sterility of your instruments??"

As the person above metioned...any time is a good time to push vaxes in the ER.
#12 of 14 Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 AM

I used to work in the medical field and our local ER would routinely administer tetanus vaccines, even if there was absolutely no correlation to their illness. I really think it was a way to get the vaccine to people who would otherwise not bother to get it. Especially adults. I'm pretty sure it has NOTHING to do with airbag dust! The reason they didn't worry about the kids was because they assumed they've already received the vaccine. At least they didn't keep hounding you to get it.
#13 of 14 Old 09-12-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had a response from Dr. Mercola but everyone I have inquired about this all seem too have the same response in that it's not medically necessary. From my research, I have found no evidence that supports it either. I have to conclude that it is simply what all of you are saying...They try to poke em any chance they get.

Thanks everyone,
Janet
#14 of 14 Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Agree it's just another opportunity to push vax. Stick 'em while you've got 'em.

I actually DID get a tetanus shot in the ER after a car accident when I was 17. Of course they gave me DTP instead of TIG so obviously they weren't actually concerned about tetanus from the profusely bleeding scrape on my knee from hitting the dash. Didn't know better, didn't have much say because I was a minor. Of course that was the last one I ever got.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page