Religious Exemption Form: What Do I Have to Tell Them? - Mothering Forums
Vaccinations > Religious Exemption Form: What Do I Have to Tell Them?
Jazzmin's Avatar Jazzmin 09:30 PM 08-05-2010
I am in IN and filling out a form for my oldest son. He was fully vaxed, but has not received a shot in 9 years. So, according to the school records, he was up to date. However, IN now mandates additional vaxes and boosters and they must be given prior to school starting. I am not doing the boosters or new vaxes because my beliefs have changed since then, so I am filling out an exemption form the district had on their site.

Here are my questions:

They have asked me to "...document my objections to the vaccination(s) for the following religious reason(s):" Can I simply state that they are against my religious beliefs and leave it at that?

The form also wants me to mark which vaccines I am against. I am against them all even though he has had almost all of the vaccines listed, so I should just mark all of them even though he only needs a few on the list?

I was under the impression that they couldn't ask me about my specific beliefs. Also, I thought selectivity opposing certain vaccines was just asking to be challenged.

TIA.

kriket's Avatar kriket 12:12 AM 08-06-2010
pastafarianism

That's all you should put. Who are they to question your religion?

I was under the same impression then got a look at my district's exemption form and came here to ask a similar question. (I will post another thread as not to hijack.
Jazzmin's Avatar Jazzmin 10:27 AM 08-06-2010
I want to give them as little info as possible, I don't want to state my religion or anything of the sort. But I also don't want to make this harder than it has to be.
Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 12:11 PM 08-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
I am filling out an exemption form the district had on their site.

Here are my questions:

They have asked me to "...document my objections to the vaccination(s) for the following religious reason(s):" Can I simply state that they are against my religious beliefs and leave it at that?
Indiana vax law does not specify a particular form (my state, TX, does specify the form in the law). Schools and states will often create their own exemption forms that you are not required by law to use.

Quote:
The form also wants me to mark which vaccines I am against. I am against them all even though he has had almost all of the vaccines listed, so I should just mark all of them even though he only needs a few on the list?
If I was compelled to use such a form I would mark them all.

Quote:
I was under the impression that they couldn't ask me about my specific beliefs. Also, I thought selectivity opposing certain vaccines was just asking to be challenged.
TIA.
They can ask but you don't have to tell. Your law appears very flexible in allowing to exempt your child from individual medical procedure.

Quote:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...0/ar34/ch3.pdfTITLE 20. EDUCATION
ARTICLE 34. STUDENT HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES
CHAPTER 3. HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES

IC 20-34-3-2 (2007)
IC 20-34-3-2
Religious objections
Sec. 2. (a) Except as otherwise provided, a student may not be required to undergo any testing, examination, immunization, or treatment required under this chapter or IC 20-34-4 when the child's parent objects on religious grounds. A religious objection does not exempt a child from any testing, examination, immunization, or treatment required under this chapter or IC 20-34-4 unless the objection is:

(1) made in writing;
(2) signed by the child's parent; and
(3) delivered to the child's teacher or to the individual who might order a test, an exam, an immunization, or a treatment absent the objection.

Quote:
https://chirp.in.gov/chirp_files/doc...008-2009V2.pdf
23. What must a religious objection contain?
A. A religious objection must be in writing and state that the objection to immunization is
based on religious grounds; signed by the child’s parent; and delivered to the school. There
is no requirement of proof. The written objection must be resubmitted to the school each
year.

Jazzmin's Avatar Jazzmin 02:39 PM 08-06-2010
Thank you, Emmeline. I am only using the districts form because it seems easier to just fill out the one they provide, I'm trying to ruffle the least amount of feathers possible. Also, I wasn't sure if the various vax. sites were up-to-date with current IN law since it had recently changed. In fact, I am having a hard time finding the actual law, I'm finding school districts and newspapers interpretation.

I'll mark all vaccines and basically restate that "I reject all vaccines on religious grounds." Hopefully, that will be sufficient.
Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 07:12 PM 08-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
Thank you, Emmeline. I am only using the districts form because it seems easier to just fill out the one they provide, I'm trying to ruffle the least amount of feathers possible. Also, I wasn't sure if the various vax. sites were up-to-date with current IN law since it had recently changed. In fact, I am having a hard time finding the actual law, I'm finding school districts and newspapers interpretation.

I'll mark all vaccines and basically restate that "I reject all vaccines on religious grounds." Hopefully, that will be sufficient.
Feathers may be ruffled any way since you are not giving the answer they are looking for .

The link posted above (and below) is for your legislature's website (I just posted from NVIC because it's what I found first); if you want to double check you can call and make sure that the most current law is what is on their site http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...0/ar34/ch3.pdf

Whatever letter you turn in you may want to include a copy of the law.
es1967's Avatar es1967 10:13 AM 08-07-2010
I just went yesterday and there were no questions asked. This is how easy it went. Registered like everyone else, sent down to the childrens division, the nurse called me in 5 mins later. Showed me the blue form, explained how long it would last and to retrieve it if we change schools, then asked me to sign a small form stating he has had no vaccines. That was it. My SIL says she goes every yr- she says she writes in a basic thing-like its against her beliefs. There was no place for me to even write anything.

My form lasts for numerous yrs-forget what she said 18 yrs? Hmmmmn, I am starting to wonder if I got the correct thing. No, I am sure its it.
Jazzmin's Avatar Jazzmin 04:18 PM 08-07-2010
Thank you for the additional link. Maybe the only change in the law has been the number of vaxs. required.

They did a way with school registration this year (all done over the internet), so I have to go into the school and give the form to the nurse.
Up