What's up with Rototeq & the Lethal Pig Virus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the article on MDC's homepage yesterday. My friend had her 5m old in yesterday for a well baby check-up and, her vaccines. They faithfully vaxx according to the schedule. Yes, the baby was a tad overdue for her 4m shots. About a week ago my friend decided to ask the clinic for the vaccine inserts, and they gave her copies. Rototeq was one of the vaccines. Does anyone have any information on whether or not Merck followed through with reformulating the vaccine? What's the latest on Rototeq?
Thanks a million....
#2 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing has been done....there has been no reformulation.

Both Rotarix and Rotateq are still contaminated. The FDA says that there is no "evidence" to suggest that these viruses pose any risk to humans and that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh any risk.
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm212149.htm

PCV1 seems to cause no illness in pigs. PCV2 causes Wasting and failure to thrive,Immune suppression, Respiratory problems, Kidney, brain and reproductive problems and Death in baby piugs. PCV2 was found in Rotateq.

FDA says that's ok cause it doesn't cause illness in humans. Although there have been studies that suggest that these viruses can cause human cell disruption http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15099209
Quote:
Although PCV gene expression and replication took place in human cells, the infection is non-productive. Alteration of protein localization suggests that protein targeting may be disturbed in human cells
Rotarix actually seems like the lesser of 2 evils as it was found to only contain PCV1

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

means there are 5 strains of the rotovirus in that one vaccine?

thanks for the info....
#4 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Yes, Rotateq covers 5 and Rotarix a couple less, I forget how many. That is why a ped when DS was little wanted me to talk into Rotateq but back then I wanted Rotarix which she didn't want since it covers too little in her flavor (it is 2 doses opposed to 3 with Rotateq). I ended up not vaccinating DS until he is at least 2 years old. I am glad I didn't get that stuff! Interestingly enough, they do not use porcine tissues in the mfr process of the vaccines, yet they are contaminated with porcine viruses... One really wonders.... How clean and sterile their factories are!
#5 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Yes, Rotateq covers 5 and Rotarix a couple less, I forget how many. That is why a ped when DS was little wanted me to talk into Rotateq but back then I wanted Rotarix which she didn't want since it covers too little in her flavor (it is 2 doses opposed to 3 with Rotateq). I ended up not vaccinating DS until he is at least 2 years old. I am glad I didn't get that stuff! Interestingly enough, they do not use porcine tissues in the mfr process of the vaccines, yet they are contaminated with porcine viruses... One really wonders.... How clean and sterile their factories are!
There are always hidden things in vaccines from cell culture mediums. The likely source of the porcine virus is from Trypsin whis is an enzymes used in cell culturing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypsin

Trypsin is produced in the pancreas of pigs and is used in the manufacuring process of rotavirus vaccines, the OPV and some others I believe

Quote:
Recently, concerns have been raised by Muslim communities in relation to the presence of a product derived from pig (the trypsin) which is used in the production of OPV and other vaccines manufactured in cell cultures.
http://www.who.int/immunization_stan.../en/index.html

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Wow thanks for the link! Very interesting and disturbing at the same time. Obviously, the purifying process isn't complete when fragments of viral DNA is present in the end-product.
OT, but on Wiki it says they put that stuff into baby food to predigest it. Do they mean formula? It wouldn't be in like Earth's Best apple sauce, right?
#7 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Wow thanks for the link! Very interesting and disturbing at the same time. Obviously, the purifying process isn't complete when fragments of viral DNA is present in the end-product.
OT, but on Wiki it says they put that stuff into baby food to predigest it. Do they mean formula? It wouldn't be in like Earth's Best apple sauce, right?
I think it's mostly in formula, and then usually in soy based ones. It would not be in any organic baby food like earths' best

#8 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM

I don't think there is any evidence that the porcine virus is lethal.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#9 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
I don't think there is any evidence that the porcine virus is lethal.
only to baby pigs and then only PCV2....I don't think they really know what kind of potential effect it has on humans long term. Much like many other "safe" things.

#10 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Was there any evidence early on that SV-40 caused cancer?

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#11 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
Was there any evidence early on that SV-40 caused cancer?
Yes. That's how they discovered it. That's actually how they (virologists) discovered that viruses can cause cancer, I think.

http://www.sv40foundation.org/
#12 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
only to baby pigs and then only PCV2....I don't think they really know what kind of potential effect it has on humans long term. Much like many other "safe" things.
Agreed. No reason to assume it is safe. "Lethal" is a strong word and some people could think that this virus was found to have killed human babies. Which is not the case. So far.

Again, I would not advocate for this vaccine. But I do think it is important to keep things as accurate as possible in this discussion.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page