Flu shot? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you getting a flu shot? Is your DH/DP?

I was on the fence about it. Neither DH or I have ever gotten one. DH and I are both teachers, we asked the MW what she thought. She recommended it for both of us, because a disproportionate amount of people that die from the flu are pregnant women and young children/babies. But now I think we're both going to do it. What about the rest of you ladies?

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

No way, no how, not for all the marbles! Dh won't be getting it either. I'll tell you my reasons but know I don't have the sources to site off the top of my head but if you google they are out there...

1) In no population is the flu shot statistically effective at lowering the incidence of flu.

2) There are preservatives and additives to the vaccine which I am morally and ethically opposed to.

3) It is a shot in the dark (sorry, no pun intended) as to which strain of the flu they manufacture the vaccine for.

4) The shot is contraindicated in infants and I'm pregnant with an infant.

5) High doses of Vitamin D and zinc are just as effective as preventing the flu.

I am glad though, that for those who want the shot it is available! I am a fan of choice!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#3 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM

DH will probably be getting it (he's in the army) and that's his choice but I won't. I'm a person that doesn't normally get sick, even when exposed, it doesn't seem to be changing now that I'm pregnant, and everyone I knew who got a flu shot last year STILL got the flu (and pretty bad too). I personally just don't have any faith in it.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#4 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
No way, no how, not for all the marbles! Dh won't be getting it either. I'll tell you my reasons but know I don't have the sources to site off the top of my head but if you google they are out there...

1) In no population is the flu shot statistically effective at lowering the incidence of flu.

2) There are preservatives and additives to the vaccine which I am morally and ethically opposed to.

3) It is a shot in the dark (sorry, no pun intended) as to which strain of the flu they manufacture the vaccine for.

5) High doses of Vitamin D and zinc are just as effective as preventing the flu.

I am glad though, that for those who want the shot it is available! I am a fan of choice!

Jenne
This! Well said, Jenne!

I have never got the shot, neither has DP. We have never gotten the flu either. Of all the people I know who have gotten the flu EVERY one of them had the shot!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#5 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM

I don't get the flu shot, my kids don't get it, nor does my husband. I don't think they are very effective at all...

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#6 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 PM

I have never had a flu shot, I even work in a hospital area and eat lunch of the hospital cafeteria salad bar, and I haven't had the flu in well over a decade.

So I am not getting a flu shot, I don't see the need. I will be slightly more careful than normal in avoiding exposure.
#7 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

No way!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#8 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

No, we're not getting it either. I got it for a few years after I got the flu once and it was terrible. But I hadn't really done my homework before getting them.
#9 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Absolutely not! Nor will anyone in our family. Ever. lol

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#10 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin-mama View Post
Absolutely not! Nor will anyone in our family. Ever. lol
and Yeah That to what Jenne wrote (HI Jenne!!)

I've never gotten the shot and never had the flu. DW got the shot one year before we met and was in the ICU for days and literally almost died. Never again!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#11 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 PM

You could not pay me enough to get that shot...especially while pregnant or for my children.

The flu shot for this year is going to be the same exact flu shot that has been banned in Australia that contains last years H1N1 vaccine in it.

Quote:
"Evidence from Australia suggests a rate of febrile convulsions of about one per 100 for children who were vaccinated with Fluvax." This is
the same vaccine that will be given in the United States this season...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...officials.html

"Australia bans flu vaccines in children after vomiting, fevers, seizures"
http://www.naturalnews.com/029586_Au..._vaccines.html

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#12 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

And to all of those!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#13 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM

I got it with DD#1, and well, I have wondered why she has a lot of issues other kids don't seem to have. I never got the flu in my life, and after I got the shot, I was sick all winter. Now I know people could say it was because immunity is down when you are pregnant, but I don't know if I buy into that theory, I wasn't sick in the weeks before I got the shot. I got the shot mid November and was sick a few days later until about March.

Anyway, I will not get it this time, especially not with H1n1 in it. I did get the flu twice about 2 years ago, first time ever, but DD didn't get it.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#14 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM

I didn't even know there were such things as flu shots till a few years ago. I was seriously shocked. No way would I ever get a flu shot, pregnant or not.

caffix.gif

#15 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM

No way--I got it for the first time in my life when I was pregnant with my first, and I became extremely ill while stuck in the Chicago airport that winter--yes, I will never forget puking my guts out in airport toilets and seriously feeling like I might die...it was by far one of the worst experiences of my life. I blame it on the flu shot because I believe that it weakened my immune system. I've never been that sick in my life, and that happened about a week and a half after I got the shot.

Also, my son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (mild autism), and I always wonder if that had something to do with it--he also had 8 vaccines at his 2 month checkup. Who knows, but that was a lot of toxins put into his little body from the time he was in utero.

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!
#16 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 PM

I will never ever get the flu shot again.....I was talked into getting it about two years ago when my dd was 4 months old....about 24 hours later I became more sick than I have ever been, it was horrible...almost had to go to the ER. I hadn't had the flu in about 10 years when I had it.

J- mama to E (8/08) and C (11/10)

#17 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigchaitea View Post

Also, my son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (mild autism), and I always wonder if that had something to do with it--he also had 8 vaccines at his 2 month checkup. Who knows, but that was a lot of toxins put into his little body from the time he was in utero.
This is what I wonder, DD doesn't have autism, but she has sensory processing disorder and had multiple food allergies (only soy right now) and I wonder about that stuff.

#18 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Nope. I don't do flu shots and I'm a teacher. I think I've gotten the flu one time but it may have just been a really bad cold. I eat healthy, take cod liver oil, get plenty of sun in the summer without sunscreen, and make sure to get fresh air everyday. My dd does the same and at 3 she's had a mild stomach bug and some minor colds -- even after being kissed on a regular basis by a an entire kindergarten class.
#19 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 AM

No for me as well. I plan on upping my vit D intake once flu season starts and doing lots of hand washing, general precautions really. I try to be pretty careful about what I put in my body when pregnant so I definitely don't want to inject that junk in.
#20 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post
She recommended it for both of us, because a disproportionate amount of people that die from the flu are pregnant women and young children/babies.
This is the most recent article I could find. 90% of deaths occurred in people ages 65 years and older. Nothing about pregnant woman or children.
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...ay/642530.html

And this is interesting
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Infectio...RItheFlu/21895

Quote:
In all seasons, they found that pediatric deaths from flu were the minority -- ranging from a low of 57 in 1981-1982 to a high of 197 in 1977-1978
So I don't think her info is entirely accurate - this came out a week ago and includes information from the past 30 years.

#21 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
This is what I wonder, DD doesn't have autism, but she has sensory processing disorder and had multiple food allergies (only soy right now) and I wonder about that stuff.
Same with my DD1. I was working in the hospital during my pg and got talked into getting one, the last one I ever accepted BTW. She has SPD, had many a food allergy, and several other issues. We've gotten influenza twice out of the last 5 winters, and H1N1, BUT I have a child whose has a poor immune system and brings home every germ known to man. I still would take my chances getting the flu anyday over another flu vax.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM

I will get it if the pediatrician and the OB/MW recommend it and think it's safe in pregnancy.

We're lucky that our ped's office is offering preservative-free, and they usually offer it to parents as well as kids.

The kids and I have spent the last 5 years sick and miserable with every virus known to man, and somehow, last year, despite the fact that H1N1 went around my daughter's school TWICE and one of her classmates was hospitalized, the kids and DH and I were all vaccinated and we didn't get it.

My son has asthma. I would do anything to keep him from getting sick. Anything.
#23 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 AM

Moved to Vaccinations

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#24 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 AM

I have gotten a flu shot twice in my life. Those were the two years (non-consecutive) I ended up with pneumonia and recurring bronchitis. I do not think it's a coincidence. I really think it crapped out my immune system so that while I may not have gotten the specific strains of flu in the shot, I didn't have much chance at fighting off everything ELSE that came along. I've gotten over things fairly easily the years I DIDN'T get one.

Since the last one I had I've developed an anaphylactic allergy to neomycin, which the flu shot contains, so I really CAN'T get one now, but I wouldn't anyway. Especially if pregnant. I read SO many stories last year about people who miscarried within 48 hours of getting the swine flu shot and I have a hard time believing all of those were purely coincidental.

My husband does not get them either. He does not think they're effective.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#25 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 AM

but only because I found this as a starting point:

http://drtenpenny.com/VitaminD_info.aspx

At the bottom of the page is dosages for Vitamin D as a reference. I realize that D3 isn't the only thing to do to lower my risk, and that of my family's, of coming down with the flu but it helps.

So for me, I decided against the flu shot because I had other alternatives. It also helps in social conversation when others are die-hard flu shot promoters, that I can just smile and say, "I don't think my family will be getting the flu shot... or the flu, this year. Thanks."

Good luck with your decision! It took me years of research prior to and immediately after having my first kid (2.5 yo now) to be 100% okay with non-vaccing. And I'm okay with checking in and reevaluating my decision all the time.
#26 of 26 Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think anyone contemplating a flu shot really needs to read this recent study before making any desicions.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...269/frame.html

Quote:
In average conditions (partially matching vaccine) 100 people need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms.
Quote:
Vaccine use did not affect the number of people hospitalised or working days lost
AND>>>
Quote:
Our results may be an optimistic estimate because company-sponsored influenza vaccines trials tend to produce results favorable to their products and some of the evidence comes from trials carried out in ideal viral circulation and matching conditions and because the harms evidence base is limited..
Here are some older studies/articles about the effectiveness of the seasonal flu vaccine.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...full/165/3/351 (flu vax in pregnant women)

http://www.jpands.org/vol11no3/geier.pdf

http://www.bmj.com/content/333/7574/912.full

Quote:
In children under 2 years inactivated vaccines had the same field efficacy as placebo, and in healthy people under 65 vaccination did not affect hospital stay, time off work, or death from influenza and its complications. Reviews found no evidence of an effect in patients with asthma or cystic fibrosis, but inactivated vaccines reduced the incidence of exacerbations after three to four weeks by 39% in those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...e-matter/7723/

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page