vaccines/adoption - what to do to help baby before and after? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is adopting a baby girl (18 months old) from China next week
and before they bring her home, she has to receive something like TWENTY
vaccines. All in one sitting. Yikes. I cannot believe they do that to these
babies, but they do.

Isn't there a homeopathic remedy they can give her before she gets the shots? I think it's Thuja? But I can't remember for sure.

Anything else they can do for this sweet baby girl before and after to help her
through this?? I know she is in an orphanage, but I don't know how well she has been cared for over her year and a half of life.

Thank you, thank you! Any advice would be wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 AM

Twenty is a lot. Do you mind sharing which ones she's being given? I thought they normally they only catch them up to the AAP schedule. (they assume they have been given none to that date)
#3 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

You know, I really am not sure which ones she will receive. My friend made just made a motion with her hands showing that they give her a bunch in each arm and each leg. Boom, boom, boom, boom. This is a non-vaxing family, so she might not even be sure which ones she'll receive.

I think you are right though, that they will probably give her all the "catch up" shots, assuming she hasn't been given any thus far. (And I don't know that she has received *any* thus far... It's an orphanage with a few hundred girls, so I would assume she has received some, but maybe not ???)
#4 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't think there are even 20 different vaccines they can give her unless they give her many doses of the same kinds. (I can only find 10, 11 if you count the new flu/H1N1 that isn't available yet as far as I know). Even if she has to catch up from birth they can't give her more than one dose of each vaccine at a time but still 10 in one sitting is way too many for anyone IMO!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#5 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry! I'm sort of laughing at myself here... I didn't even think of the actual schedule and that 20 couldn't *actually* be a reality. Silly me.

ANYWAY, I guess the true number isn't really the point. She is going to get ALL of them (just looked at the sched - it's TEN, which is still A LOT) to "catch up."

I'll go back to my original question: Does anyone know of any homeopathy my friend can give this little girl before she gets all these shots?

I know she can boost her immune system with vitamins A, C, & D and give her probiotics, etc., but since she will only have her for a few days (a week?) before she gets the shots, I don't think they will have enough time to make much of a difference.

I've checked with some other boards I belong to, so maybe one of those mamas will know if no one here knows.

Thanks for your time.
#6 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM

You could try checking out the Dr. Sears book.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM

If you do a forum search, you should be able to find lots of threads with ideas for you. Here's a couple I found

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...immune+support
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...immune+support

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#8 of 9 Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 AM

I'd be inclined to discuss spacing them out rather than giving her homeopathy. Unless she has to have them all before she leaves China, two visits six weeks apart. Give the DTaP-IPV-Hib at one visit, then MMR, V (in different arms), prevnar and Hep B at the other visit.
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 AM

I think I remember reading that you could take high doses of Vitamin C before vaxing. I think it's supposed to be detoxifying. So maybe she could bring Sodium Ascorbate with her and give it to bowel tolerance a couple days before and after the shots? I would also post in the Health and Healing forum, there are some smart people over there who would know more. (Also, in the resources sticky there's more info about Sodium Ascorbate-it's amazing stuff )

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page