Flu Vax for MIL in nursing home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got a notice about their flu vax comin up. My MIL has Huntington's Disease, which is not a terminal illness, nor does it compromise her immune system. However, there are plenty of other immuno compromised patients where she lives. Last year, when the family had flu (or FLI) we stayed away. I do not know if she has gotten it in the past; this is the first time they have sent us notice (we have medical POA).

I am trying to think through whether she should get the vax. In my family, we do not get that vaccine.

Any pertinent thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM

The adult flu vaccine is one of they few with thimersol still in them. "I" would not inject my family member with it. I would almost bet they will not have the preservitive free for them.

This years have the H1N1 in it also I have not heard if this years is a hit or miss. They have missed alot in the past few years.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Research indicates that the flue vaccine doesn't even create much of an immune repsonse in the elderly nor does the vax change hospitalizations, etc. There was discussion about making a new formula for the elderly with more units of the flu virus to try to create an immune response. You might look for some articles on those topics as you try to make a decision.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

I really wouldn't. The flu vaccine is a dud.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ve-in-elderly/

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM

I thought I read somewhere that there was a new flu shot available this year for elderly that was supposed to generate a better immune response. The studies on the old vaccine showed that it wasn't very effective in the elderly, the thought was to vaccinate everyone around the elderly in order to create a buffer of herd immunity. But now they have this new one?? I don't know, I'd research it just a touch before immediately discrediting it.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)

User Tag List