PCV7 and antibiotic resistant strain 19A - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I haven't posted here in a while.

I got this article from the Natural News Web site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20823436

Essentially, it says that PCV7 caused children to have carriage of serotype 19A (the one that is antibiotic-resistant and dangerous). Just like what has always been discussed here, and more proof that this vaccine was a very bad idea. Of course, DD and DS1 had this vaccine. So, my understanding is that they are more likely to carry this strain, and could well carry it (without having actually gotten invasive disease).

Does my lack-of-foresight in getting the first two the PCV7 mean I need to consider the PCV13 for DS2 (an infant)? If the older two carry 19A, and pass it to him, he will not necessarily become ill (but obviously wouldn't have any immunity to this new, untreatable strain). OTOH, if this strain is new, do I carry it now? (From being in the same house as my other children, and from having breastfed them for several years.) And so do I protect my infant from even 19A through my breastmilk?

I know that breastfeeding is supposed to protect infants from invasive pneumococcus generally, and was recognized to do so in the "pre-vaccine era" (ten years ago), though the invasive disease was more prevalent then due to low breastfeeding rates.

If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd appreciate them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I would search pubmed or somewhere for an updated study. I was just reading about this (but don't have links). I believe a more recent study showed no correlation, but I don't recall all the details.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
I would search pubmed or somewhere for an updated study. I was just reading about this (but don't have links). I believe a more recent study showed no correlation, but I don't recall all the details.
All the recent data confirms serotype replacement concerns and these are noted concerns for PCV13 as well. Some say the benefits outweigh the risks of serotype replacement. Easy enough to say when you don't bother with the long-term studies.

op: getting PCV13 will just compound your dilemma because there WILL be an, as of yet undiscovered type (previously kept down by the 13 strains in PCV13) rise to playing field after several years..and then you'll have to get PCV19 and then PCV25, then PCV38.....you get the picture.

We all carry things at any given time that are potentially harmful. The best bet is a strong immune system.

User Tag List