Forced to withdraw kids from school (vaccine exemption denied) what to tell people? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there,
I received final word today that our appeal at getting our religious immunization exemption (at our local parochial school), has been denied. This has been a terribly involved process that has been going on for 2 months now.

Legally, we still believe we are entitled to an exemption, but at this point nothing short of a legal battle is going to solve it, and we're not up for that.

My real question here is, I just don't know what to say to people. If you don't say anything, people talk. I also don't feel like we should have to air our personal choice to not vaccinate to everyone who asks why we're not there anymore.

Yes, I am angry at the school, but I will not say anything bad about them either, I just need some kind of "simple statement" I can make.

I was thinking about saying "The school would not accept some of our paperwork, so we're transferring", or something to that effect, I don't know...

We've been homeschooling for 7 years. 3 years ago I put the kids in school and pulled them out mid quarter, because it wasn't going well. THIS TIME it is totally NOT my choice to withdraw them, but I'm afraid I will look wishy washy now, at least that's what I'm afraid I will appear to be... I know I shouldn't worry what people will think/say, but I guess I am.

We will probably go back to homeschooling now though...

Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM

maybe the truth without going into the exact details: 'the school didn't have a spot for my children after all, so I'm looking at other options.'

hugs to you.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM

"It wasn't a good fit for us."

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I mean, technically it *is* your choice to withdraw them (as opposed to getting their vaccinations up to date). I would just say that withdrawing them is the best choice for your family. *shrug*

Jadzia's suggestion is a good one, too.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
all of these would work. You could also say, we've chosen xxx school, or to homeschool instead.".

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 10-01-2010, 04:49 PM

I vote for Jadzia's suggestion. It is a simple statement.

For those who are nosy, who would ask for details, you can politely decline and the original statement wasn't bait-ful (?

For those who aren't, they'll be respectful and think of all the reasons why *they* would determine a school to 'not fit' with their kids or family, then move on.

My sister pulled her kid from a preschool b/c the school Would.Not use the word, "No" even if life or limb depended on it. She thought that was silly. It was a bad fit. People can take what that want from this simple statement.

Good luck, mama!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 AM

I would probably just say that we discovered we had irreconcilable philosophical differences with the school and chose a school that was a better fit for our family. Especially since it's a religious school, that should satisfy a lot of people without airing your vaccination choices.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
"It wasn't a good fit for us."
This is exactly what I would say.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

User Tag List