Flu shot? Are you getting one? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you getting the flu vax?
Yes 13 11.61%
No 99 88.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on the fence about this and I'm not sure what to do. I've read that there's a high death rate among pg women who get swine flu, but also nervous that the swine flu was never tested in pg women and I'm worried about the side effects.
What is everyone else doing?

Anyone know the prevalence of swine flu this year?

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#2 of 39 Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 PM

ddcc....

no way no how no one is touching me with that stuff. it's not tested and the flu shot is just what they predict the 3 most prevalant strains to be. It doesn't prevent you form getting sick the flu virus changes as it moves, it's a mutating virus.

good hygiene and staying away from places where you'll find lots of sick people and taking good care of your self making sure you are keeping up on your vitamins and all that sort of stuff is what I do. if my kids are sick I keep them home. if i'm sick i stay home. I also try and stay away from excessively large groups of people.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#3 of 39 Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 PM

No, I'm not.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 39 Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 PM

DDCC

Nope... I don't get them not pregnant, either. My kids don't get one, nor does my husband. In fact, most people I know that do get one are often sick shortly afterward and have issues all winter long. I prefer to take my vitamins, eat well, take care of myself, get enough rest, etc. Much of the hype about swine flu was just that... hype. The media really made it out to be way worse than it was. The science behind the shot isn't all that accurate either, it's all guesswork. I have other issues with the flu shot but those are the main ones.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#5 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Nope... I don't get them not pregnant, either. My kids don't get one, nor does my husband. In fact, most people I know that do get one are often sick shortly afterward and have issues all winter long. I prefer to take my vitamins, eat well, take care of myself, get enough rest, etc. Much of the hype about swine flu was just that... hype. The media really made it out to be way worse than it was. The science behind the shot isn't all that accurate either, it's all guesswork. I have other issues with the flu shot but those are the main ones.
100%

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#6 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 AM

I'm the one yes, lol. But I am a special education teacher at a public school with over 500 kids and my son goes to daycare. So I will be getting it next week.
#7 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 AM

He** no.

If the needle is not giving me meds through an iv or taking blood...it's not going in me or my family. Other than dh...he works in surgery. But I hate...hate...that he has to get one. Hate.
#8 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM

I've never gotten one before. My primary care physician said to get one this year because I'm pregnant. My midwife said she doesn't recommend or not recommend them -- that it's up to me. I was most convinced by my midwife saying it hadn't been the standard of care long enough for her to feel everyone needs one. Three years ago, my best friend had a pregnancy where a complication (that never happened) was expected. She saw her doctor every week for most of the pregnancy. This was a very mainstream doctor. He never suggested she get the flu shot.

Add all this to the fact that the virus mutates, that I don't work with (or yet have) children or work in medicine, and that I rarely get sick -- and when I do it's never enough to even miss a day of work, and I think I'm skipping the flu shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#9 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Not for a million dollars.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#10 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM

No way, no how. However, our family did come down with the flu last week. I feel safer just dealing with it than with the shot. Anyone in my husband's family that gets the flu shot, always gets the flu worse than most...and they continue to get it (I just don't get their thinking).

Orthodox Mama
#11 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Nope.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#12 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Moved to Vaccinations, as this is where flu shot discussions take place.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#13 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm not planning on it, but DH has really been trying to convince me to. Apparently there's a recent study on native american women (if I recall correctly?) which showed that the babies born to vaccinated women have lower risks of infection and hospitalization.

My plan is to work from home as much as I can (to avoid sick people on the commute and at the office), wash hands lots, and load up on vit. D supplements (which worked really well for me last year). And I don't like that the H1N1 is now included in the regular flu shot and it hasn't been tested on pregnant women. Plus they guess the viruses to include in the shot way early in the year to give time for production, and it seems often they guess wrong and it doesn't help you much. Well, I'm just not a fan.
#14 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Yeah, dh gets it... but I think he gets sick more than we do, hahaha.

I don't have a strict work schedule, so my job is my kids; I figure we have time to be sick. Plus, if we take care of ourselves I find we don't get sick too much anyway.

I don't think the flu shot is very effective. I'm one of the old stories 'got it once and got sicker than a dog.' So, I tried it 10 years ago and decided just dealing with what came my way was better.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good lord, no, I'm not. You couldn't pay me to get it.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#16 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM

I voted yes. This is only our second year of getting the flu shot. I feel that flu shots are not useful in children under the age of 2 and, in addition, I feel that there is absolutely no study on flu shots in the first trimester (we have studies on the other trimesters or studies that most people were not in first, kwim?) so I wouldn't do it then either.

Some reasons we have changed our mind are the kids being in school, my best friends' son having horrible asthma (spent many weeks in CHOP last winter ), illness in relatives, holiday travel, having a baby during flu season, and also I feel more comfortable with them now that I have seen some of the studies. I also am more comfortable with the efficacy of the flu mist shot over the injections for the kids...plus there's no pain involved so that is easier on us as well.

I am in my later second trimester, so I was comfortable getting the injection. My arm was sore for a few hours and that has been my only side effect. I was also heartened by the study that came out a week or so ago about the flu shot during pregnancy protecting the newborn from flu as well. We are big on "cocooning" here.

I think if our risk situation changed next year, I would change my mind again. But since our babe will not be two yet and will not be receiving one next year, we may do it again for the cocooning affect.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#17 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
I'm not planning on it, but DH has really been trying to convince me to. Apparently there's a recent study on native american women (if I recall correctly?) which showed that the babies born to vaccinated women have lower risks of infection and hospitalization.
Yes, this is correct. Here is an article on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11471311

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#18 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got a BFP. I plan on doing elderberry losenges and vitmamin D for my pregncancy.

As for the Native American study, maybe the women who get vaccinated on the reserves are more likely to take care of themselves during pregnancy. People on reserves here dont have the best track record of taking care of themselves.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#19 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 02:55 PM

I am required by my job to get the flu shot, but I don't get it. I'm just not allowed to work during an outbreak but thankfully we are in the financial situation where I don't NEED to work. I did get the flu shot when my husband was layed off and I had to work. I've NEVER been so sick before. That winter I was sick pretty much steady for a few month. It sucked!
#20 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM

No way! Never have, never will, whether it be bird flu, swine flu, raccoon flu, or fish flu. Never gonna happen.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#21 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post
I'm on the fence about this and I'm not sure what to do. I've read that there's a high death rate among pg women who get swine flu, but also nervous that the swine flu was never tested in pg women and I'm worried about the side effects.

Anyone know the prevalence of swine flu this year?
Hi! I was a pregnant woman who did receive the h1n1 vaccine last year. So yes, it was tested on pregnant women, as much as anything ever is.

I was fine, I had no complications from it, and now have a very healthy, walking 10 month old baby boy.

I have had flu shots before, and have never had a bad reaction. This one was just like the other flu shot I've received.

I don't get a flu shot every year, and will probably not get one this year. But I wanted to speak up because pregnancy provides enough to worry about, a mama shouldn't have to obsess over this, too.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#22 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Demeter took the words right out of my mouth..The flu would be a lot less prevalent if people took the proper precautions-washing hands, eating healthy, etc..I think the flu shot makes people feel invincible so that they do not take precautions and end up sick ..Plus there are so many strains of flu that getting a shot doesn't do any good. Almost everyone I know who gets it ends up with the flu anyway.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#23 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post
Demeter took the words right out of my mouth..The flu would be a lot less prevalent if people took the proper precautions-washing hands, eating healthy, etc..I think the flu shot makes people feel invincible so that they do not take precautions and end up sick ..Plus there are so many strains of flu that getting a shot doesn't do any good. Almost everyone I know who gets it ends up with the flu anyway.
I don't know, I have gotten it in the past and still eat very well, exercise, have good vit D levels, and wash my hands a lot. I've never gotten the flu when I've gotten the flu shot.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#24 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Count me as another NO! My son as well, because he has an egg allergy, so he couldn't get it if he wanted to. (Come to think of it, he is 25 months and has never had a shot...)

I have never had a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu in over a decade. There are certain people and situations who should *consider* it, but I do not fall into that category.

My husband had to get them as he was military, but he retired medically and works as a contractor, where they don't mandate it.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#25 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM

No way.

Not before.

Not when pregnant.

Not never.

'09   
#26 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
No way! Never have, never will, whether it be bird flu, swine flu, raccoon flu, or fish flu. Never gonna happen.

We NEVER get the flu except: last year when all my students got the nasal mist and came back to my classroom sniffling and left their dripping virus-infested snot rags all over my classroom, and coughed and sneezed all over! (apparently the mist makes you feel sneezy and when it runs down your throat from your sinuses, makes you cough!) Good times! So I got swine flu and my DC got it from me. Yeah, I love how that "cocooning" worked! Oy. And we got ordinary (as opposed to swine) flu a few years before that-- we were living w extended family in close quarters, and I worked as admin at a home health-- you guessed it-- got it from our well-vaccinated nurses! Mmhm. Glad the extended fam forgave me for bringing it home to all our children since it's highly unlikely any of us would have gotten it either time if I'd not been exposed to vax shed at work.

That being said, we are all quite healthy and have excellent immune systems, so with swine flu, I missed only 1 1/2 days of work (ask me about my wonderful, anti-viral "garlic cure" concoction!), and my DC missed 2-3 days of their activities.
#27 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, not ever. And never when pregnant. It was just not worth the risk for me. If some researchers theorize that it's the immune reaction of the mother that may lead to neurological changes in the fetus, and this immune reaction can also be generated by the flu shot (not just natural infection), then I've always wanted to error on the side of caution.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#28 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Not a chance. Though I could see DH coming home going 'I got a flu shot today...' He's a paramedic though, and sometimes just does stuff w/o really thinking about it...

ETA: Oh, and no, I definetly didn't get one last year w/ a newborn nor the year before while pregnant. No thanks. Not a guinnea pig for big pharma.
#29 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM

I had the flu last year when I was 7 months pregnant. There is a possibility it was h1n1 because it was accompanied by an unusual sore throat. I stayed in bed, ate little bits of food and drank sips of water, (gradually increasing throughout the day as I started feeling better), and my baby and I were fine. I was up and going by the evening.

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#30 of 39 Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post
From what I read during the last flu season, the problem seemed to be that doctors were not diligent in treating pregnant women with flu symptoms and were sending them home, and those women were seriously ill when they returned.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page