Seeking information on flu shot side effects/elderly person. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don’t know where to post this question but I think it maybe more vaccine related then health and healing.
My 77 year old father had a flu shot a few weeks ago. He has respiratory problems and his doctor strongly recommended the flu shot. Dad got the shot and now says he is having all sorts of side effects.

(Background – in the past, my dad had absolutely no problem taking any type of medication, he was always very pro-taking what the doctor ordered but in recent years, he is pushing back on all medical advice. Sadly, there may be a mental component at work.)

He says the flu shot caused him to be “wiped” out for a week, made his tongue swell and caused him to lose his sense of taste. He does see a homeopathic doctor and when I asked him what he had to say on the subject, he talked around the subject.

Does anyone have information on side effects of the flu shot? I did a quick search but was completely overwhelmed by all the links. I am thinking that informed MDC members might be able to give me more focused information or resources.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#2 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any vaccine, the flu shot included has the potential for side effects.

Could what your dad described be from the flu shot?? if those things occurred right after the shot, of course it's possible. I wouldn't discount what he's telling you just because he's eldery and pushes back on medical advice....maybe he's just wising up. It's great that he sees a homeopathic doctor. If he is having a reaction to the flu shot, he would be in the right hands to treat accordingly. Hope he feels better soon.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
Could what your dad described be from the flu shot?? if those things occurred right after the shot, of course it's possible.
Yes, he said it started right after the shot.

Quote:
It's great that he sees a homeopathic doctor. If he is having a reaction to the flu shot, he would be in the right hands to treat accordingly. Hope he feels better soon.
When he first told me about his reaction, I said to call the homeopathic doctor and there were many vague excuses as to why he (homeopathic doc) couldn't help. I can't believe the homeopathic doc would just brush it off. Dad has been under his care for 10+ years and this is the first time I have heard anything less than positive about him.

I am hoping to find some resources that I can print out and give to him.

#4 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Old people tend to talk around the question when confronted with it. I think they do not like to make waves at that point of their life.

I only know that every time I go to a wedding or similar family gathering, the senior citizen family members who are not there are at home recovering from their flu shot.
#5 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Yes, he said it started right after the shot.

When he first told me about his reaction, I said to call the homeopathic doctor and there were many vague excuses as to why he (homeopathic doc) couldn't help. I can't believe the homeopathic doc would just brush it off. Dad has been under his care for 10+ years and this is the first time I have heard anything less than positive about him.

I am hoping to find some resources that I can print out and give to him.
Do you know that he actually called the doctor or is he beating around the bush with you because he never actually made the call??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you know that he actually called the doctor or is he beating around the bush with you because he never actually made the call??
I don't know for sure if he called or not. It would be highly unlikely that he would not call.

#7 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM

his tongue swelling sounds like an allergic reaction. if he takes a flu shot again, he should be monitored afterward.
#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
his tongue swelling sounds like an allergic reaction. if he takes a flu shot again, he should be monitored afterward.
That was my first thought as I had an allergic reaction (to cleaning fluids) and I remember the feeling of my tongue swelling and my throat closing. I did mention that to him as something he should bring up with the doctor. I will need to ask him if he brought that up at an appointment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page