#61 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnant@40 View Post

As an RN, the OP should know that you can still transmit the flu without having any symptoms. The virus has an incubation period where you can be infectious WITHOUT visible signs/symptoms (ie. incubation period 2 days for seasonal flu per WHO). Because you work w/ a medically vulnerable population, it is essential that you do all you possibly can to protect them. The request to wear a mask if you decline the vaccine is not unreasonable.

Yes, and I have never said that wearing the mask is unreasonable. I said that making different populations wear the mask for different amounts of time is unreasonable.

If I am sitting at my desk next to a person who is allergic to eggs. We are both required to wear a mask. We are both outside of the room with the the door closed away from the patients. I have to have my mask on while she does not. THAT is unreasonable and is punishing the people who oppose the flu vaccine.

I agree that you should all wear the mask the entire time while in a clinical setting. That's the policy at my hospital, it's fair and logical. Regardless, I was also addressing your initial statements about never showing up for work while ill -- the point is, you can still be ill w/out knowing it due to the incubation period.

#62 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As an RN, the OP should know that you can still transmit the flu without having any symptoms. The virus has an incubation period where you can be infectious WITHOUT visible signs/symptoms (ie. incubation period 2 days for seasonal flu per WHO). Because you work w/ a medically vulnerable population, it is essential that you do all you possibly can to protect them. The request to wear a mask if you decline the vaccine is not unreasonable.

Yes, and I have never said that wearing the mask is unreasonable. I said that making different populations wear the mask for different amounts of time is unreasonable.

If I am sitting at my desk next to a person who is allergic to eggs. We are both required to wear a mask. We are both outside of the room with the the door closed away from the patients. I have to have my mask on while she does not. THAT is unreasonable and is punishing the people who oppose the flu vaccine.

I agree that you should all wear the mask the entire time while in a clinical setting. That's the policy at my hospital, it's fair and logical. Regardless, I was also addressing your initial statements about never showing up for work while ill -- the point is, you can still be ill w/out knowing it due to the incubation period.

You are correct in that....and our parents and visitors can also come in holding their baby while incubating the flu. We do not require them to wear a mask or get the shot. So, in that case, should we also have visitors wearing masks or getting shots?

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#63 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct in that....and our parents and visitors can also come in holding their baby while incubating the flu. We do not require them to wear a mask or get the shot. So, in that case, should we also have visitors wearing masks or getting shots?

Absolutely! Either they show proof of flu shot or immunity, or they wear a mask.

#64 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM

#65 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely! Either they show proof of flu shot or immunity, or they wear a mask.

I see that we are on the same page more than we know! LOL!

I have less of a problem 'falling into line' as long as everyone who interacts with our infants is held to the same standard.

#66 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have less of a problem 'falling into line' as long as everyone who interacts with our infants is held to the same standard.

You could definitely fight for a better infection control policy. There is a lot of supporting research, including info about influenza outbreaks in NICU wards that have led to increased morbidity/mortality. Obviously the virus can gain entry via any visitor.

#67 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to make it clear that I care about 'my' babies. We love them and nurture them just as we would our own children. We get attached and we cry when we lose them. We cry when our 'seniors' graduate and leave. We give out mother's day items, christmas photos, and special mementos to the parents. We LOVE our babies. I fill in as a charge nurse regularly and I clean equipment with the techs. I do not feel as though I am higher or better than anyone there. I just want my life to be as respected as those that we care for.

#68 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You could definitely fight for a better infection control policy. There is a lot of supporting research, including info about influenza outbreaks in NICU wards that have led to increased morbidity/mortality. Obviously the virus can gain entry via any visitor.

You know, my director has been trying to get me to create and implement a process improvement in-service. Maybe this can be something I focus on.

#69 of 80 Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks EdnaMarie, unfortunately, in my state we do not have a nurses union.

:(

That really sucks!  Do you think enough of the other nurses would stand with you to threaten a lawsuit?  I have no counsel as to whether you should risk your job or suck it up.  That's such a hard decision to make.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#70 of 80 Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well, Looks like I will be getting my Mercury free shot today.

We recently had a 'productivity survey' done on each unit of the hospital. It has been hinted by a few people that if they recommend 'letting go' employees that the flu refusal people are on the short list. I need my job so I cannot and will not fight this. Eventually I plan on working at the major Children's hospital in my state and at that point it will be a requirement to have the flu shot each year anyway. I am only delaying the inevitable.

I am thinking of going back to part time (two twelve hour shifts a week), which would mean a move to the children's hospital so that my income would not change too drastically.

Thank you all for the suggestions and concerns. I truly appreciate being able to talk openly with people from both sides of the fence about this. Not many people understand where I am coming from.

EdnaMarie - even though you were on the 'other side', your posts were very supportive while still voicing your opinions. Thank you for that. I will strive to be more like you in my on-line communities!

#71 of 80 Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm confused- you say that it is required to get it now at the hospital you work at, but you don't want to get it.  Yet, if you move to another hospital, it is also required, which you don't have a problem with and will just get the flu shot. I guess I don't understand why you want to put up a fight now but just accepting of it at the other hospital.

#72 of 80 Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post

I'm confused- you say that it is required to get it now at the hospital you work at, but you don't want to get it.  Yet, if you move to another hospital, it is also required, which you don't have a problem with and will just get the flu shot. I guess I don't understand why you want to put up a fight now but just accepting of it at the other hospital.

Upon my being hired at this current hospital the flu shot was not required. It is still not required; we can opt to wear the mask. This stupid policy started because of the CDC induced mania over H1N1. It is a condition of employment at the children's hospital and this is explained from day one. They also require all parents to have the flu shot. Our hospital does not require any visitor, parent, or patient to get the shot. It is a crappy system. It is my principle. It is my choice to decide where I want to accept something and where I don't. If I apply at the children's hospital, I do so with the understanding that I will have to get the shot each year.

It is not that I don't have a problem with it just because it is a different hospital. It is different circumstances all the way around.

I am also looking at a possible pregnancy at the moment.

Oh, also because I have come to the realization that if I want to use my hard earned, paid for degree I am not going to have a choice in the matter. Within a matter of years health care workers are going to be injected with everything they can pump into us. Maybe by then I can quit. Who knows?

#73 of 80 Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Ok, well after calling a local pediatrician and looking up what she told me, there is a plain seasonal flu vaccine, mercury free, free of H1N1.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1727389/sanofi_pasteur_begins_shipments_of_fluzoner_influenza_virus_vaccine_for/

It's the Sanofi Pasteur seasonal vax, they give to kids. But, reading the insert, once again, it clearly states there is no info on if it is safe for pregnant women, and nursing women, or infants under 6m. But to give to a preg woman if needed. So, it's an option, and I understand there is an income issue, but I'd wait until you find out if you are pregnant. If so, I'd go to them with the insert, highlighting the pregnancy part. 

One has to wonder, if the vaccine is not safe for infants under 6m, how is it safe for a fetus?

#74 of 80 Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much bbrandonsmom! I guess I will know for sure one way or another by Sunday/Monday. I could wait the weekend out....if not I am going to go ahead and get it.

#75 of 80 Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post

Ok, well after calling a local pediatrician and looking up what she told me, there is a plain seasonal flu vaccine, mercury free, free of H1N1.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1727389/sanofi_pasteur_begins_shipments_of_fluzoner_influenza_virus_vaccine_for/

It's the Sanofi Pasteur seasonal vax, they give to kids. But, reading the insert, once again, it clearly states there is no info on if it is safe for pregnant women, and nursing women, or infants under 6m. But to give to a preg woman if needed. So, it's an option, and I understand there is an income issue, but I'd wait until you find out if you are pregnant. If so, I'd go to them with the insert, highlighting the pregnancy part. 

One has to wonder, if the vaccine is not safe for infants under 6m, how is it safe for a fetus?

That link is for last year's vaccine. They did make preservative free for this season also, but you won't find it without the 2009 H1N1 component.

#76 of 80 Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

This just in....

One of our nurses and her husband have the flu....and she got her flu shot a few weeks ago.

#77 of 80 Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/.../ucm195479.pdf

Here is the package insert for 2010-2011 flu season-I thought that's what I had posted, sorry :)  Unless I'm missing it, H1N1 is not an ingredient. Have I missed it some place?

I'm going to call a few other drs in the area and see what they say they have. 

#78 of 80 Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post

Unless I'm missing it, H1N1 is not an ingredient. Have I missed it some place?

Section 11, pages 14 and 15.

#79 of 80 Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well ladies, I started my period today! I also went ahead and got the preservative free shot...H1N1 and all. In addition to all of that news, I have applied to the children's hospital for either ER, Hematology/Oncology, or Cardiac ICU.

Thank you all for your support and your information. I really appreciate it!

#80 of 80 Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 AM

Sorry about your period.  :(  At least you will have already gotten them if you get pregnant later this season and it won't come up.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page