Military Move To Germany Without Vaccinating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is being stationed in Germany and we are being told that myself and my daughter have to pass a medical thing for us to go with him including having up to date vaccines. We do not vaccinate at all for religious reasons. Does anyone here know if they are going to give us a hard time over this? Did any of you have a problem getting overseas through the military without vaccinating? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know the answer to your question but we're entertaining the idea of Germany for our next duty station and I have the same questions.

Janet

#3 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Im in Germany now and as far as I remember, they NEVER asked us about our shots to come here (we had paused vaxing at that point and eventually stopped altogether but both girls were WAY behind on their shots at that point, so I don't think you have to be "up to date"). Get yourself a religious waiver for whatever state you are currently in (it won't apply here, but it should get you thru your paperwork).

Enjoy Germany!

Army wife and sahm to: Aime(20), Jordan(17, birthmom), Morganne(16), Sami(5), Kasi(4), Madi(1)
#4 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Im in Germany now and as far as I remember, they NEVER asked us about our shots to come here (we had paused vaxing at that point and eventually stopped altogether but both girls were WAY behind on their shots at that point, so I don't think you have to be "up to date"). Get yourself a religious waiver for whatever state you are currently in (it won't apply here, but it should get you thru your paperwork).

Enjoy Germany!

Army wife and sahm to: Aime(20), Jordan(17, birthmom), Morganne(16), Sami(5), Kasi(4), Madi(1)
#5 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM

The military has to accept your religious objections and can only force shots on you if the host country requires it. Now being German myself, I can assure you that we do not require any vaccinations. We have no mandatory vaccines at all. So you don't need to worry about shots, but google the information that emmeline II on this board has compiled about which regulations you have to cite to get your way. :)

#6 of 7 Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM

This is for the Navy in particular. Someone posted contact info if you are an Air Force dependent having difficulty with the overseas screening in the past month or two, but I can't find it. Not being vaccinated will likely cause your form to get forwarded to an overseas screener. The job of an overseas screener for dependents is to ensure that someone with medical needs that cannot be accommodated overseas isn't cleared. Overseas assignments with dependents are primarily Western Europe and Japan, and they have typical vaccine schedules for their populations though generally more choice on whether or not the schedules are followed and do not currently normally have mandatory vaccinations for visitors.

Quote:

We got declined for Japan. UPDATE

Well, we hired a lawyer who took it straight to the chief of BUMED.   GREAT NEWS!!!!!   They agreed that the policy was inconsistent and that waivers should be granted and I believe they are going to revise those instructions.  However, if you need help with this sort of situation, contact:

Cdr. Sal Maida, 202-762-3077, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Washington D.C

Please spread the word about this and give everyone this Cdr's info! (NAVY of course)

I'm just so tired...

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM

I just moved back to the States from Germany, and when I went through the EFMP process I was not asked anything about vaccinations. In fact, the military had absolutely no record of me ever having any vaccinations. The only time I was ever asked about it, was when I went in for a well woman check up, and they tried to force the HPV vaccine on me. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page