"Bad Mommy Form" is coming to California schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here is a Power Point presentation by the CA Dept of Public Health regarding the new Tdap requirement for 7-12 graders. http://www.sdiz.org/documents/Sch-CC/AB_354_Webinar_12-8-10.pdf

If you scroll down about halfway, you'll see the new personal beliefs exemption form to sign, specific for the Tdap.  It's kind of hard to read, so here it is, form CDPH 8261

"I hereby request exemption of the child named above from the pertussis (whooping cough) immunization requirement for school entry because such immunization is contrary to my beliefs.

The unimmunized child and the child’s contacts at school and home are at a greater risk of becoming sick with pertussis which can be life-threatening for young infants and can cause prolonged illness at any age.

I understand that, for the protection of the child and other students, the child may be excluded from attending school for prolonged periods during each outbreak of pertussis after each exposure to someone with pertussis."

Notice the difference between that and the following, which is the personal beliefs affidavit for every other vaccine.

“I hereby request exemption of the child, named on the front, from the immunization requirements for school/child care entry because all or some immunizations are contrary to my beliefs. I understand that in case of an outbreak of any one of these diseases, the child may be temporarily excluded from attending for his/her protection." 

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf second page (back)

I would encourage California parents to cross out the second paragraph of the new form, and this wording from the 3rd paragraph: "for the protection of the child and other students"

California law does not require any specific wording on an exemption form. So parents can cross out objectionable wording on the pre-printed form, or write their own statement.

member234098 and Turquesa like this.
#2 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just glanced through the presentation.  Looks like the campaign to inform parents of this will be quite misleading, and will lead parents to think that they MUST give this vaccine to their children.  I can imagine the part about exemptions will be glossed over not well disclosed.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#3 of 7 Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

For any of you in the San Diego area, I found these data interesting.

I only lived in the area briefly and don't know it super-duper well, but I find it interesting that some of those high PBE (personal belief exemption) rates occur in nicer areas. (A native to that area can correct me or shed more light on this)   I also see them in charter schools, which in theory attract parents who march to their own beat. 

member234098 likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

For any of you in the San Diego area, I found these data interesting.

I only lived in the area briefly and don't know it super-duper well, but I find it interesting that some of those high PBE (personal belief exemption) rates occur in nicer areas. (A native to that area can correct me or shed more light on this)   I also see them in charter schools, which in theory attract parents who march to their own beat. 

There have been a couple of studies that showed that non/selective vaxers tend to be upper-middle income, married, and with post secondary education-- those running the study had anticipated that it would show that those who don't fully vax were poor/uneducated/single parents. I think Pediatrics did a study in 1997.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM

I find it very interesting and somewhat suspicious that they are making pertussis vaccinations mandatory.  Has anyone done any research on this?  Pertussis is a bacterial infection.  A vaccine would have no effect against it, as it is not a virus. 

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Why do you think that vaccines are not effective against bacteria, and only viruses?  Pneumococcus, HiB, Meningococcus, tetanus, and diphtheria are all caused by bacteria.

#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page