Since Andrew Wakefield's 1998 paper is "an elaborate fraud", should I vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
gr8tmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 children are not vaxed. After the recent new that this paper is a fraud and some correlations between autism and vaccinations, but no proven causation/evidence.  I think it's time to have DC vaxed. What do you guys think?

gr8tmama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 AM
 
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside of Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Was that your sole reason for not vaccinating? The autism risk? 

SubliminalDarkness is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 AM
 
daisymommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Remember--this was for only one vaccine.  What about the other 11 that no one is talking about? 

He was one man, with one small study.  There are other countless doctors, scientists, and researchers that won't touch vaccines with a ten foot pole.  Just because one man was made an example out of (and that's why they are doing this) it doesn't prove everyone else wrong.

 

And autism is not the only scary side effect of vaccines.  What about seizures, brain damage, Guillan Barre' (symptoms like Multiple-sclerosis), auto-immune disorders, the list goes on.


Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!


 homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

daisymommy is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We select and delay, and autism was never on my list, so the Wakefield study whether true or faked didn't go into my decision whatsoever.

nia82 is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

We select and delay, and autism was never on my list, so the Wakefield study whether true or faked didn't go into my decision whatsoever.



This. Word for word.

philomom is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post

Remember--this was for only one vaccine.  What about the other 11 that no one is talking about? 

He was one man, with one small study.  There are other countless doctors, scientists, and researchers that won't touch vaccines with a ten foot pole.  Just because one man was made an example out of (and that's why they are doing this) it doesn't prove everyone else wrong.

 

And autism is not the only scary side effect of vaccines.  What about seizures, brain damage, Guillan Barre' (symptoms like Multiple-sclerosis), auto-immune disorders, the list goes on.



:yeah

 

The long-term health effects of vaccines have never been studied.  I won't be getting my daughter the MMR (my oldest has already had 1 dose) because I don't believe the vaccine is safe, and I am not afraid of measles, mumps, or rubella.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
 
fruitfulmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Between the Rockies and a Flat Place
Posts: 4,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We don't vax and autism wasn't on the radar at all when we made this decision. Whether or not Dr. Wakefield's research is "proven" to be a fraud doesn't change my beliefs on the issue.

 

If that was your only reason for not vaxxing, then perhaps more research is in order before you make the decision to do so. 

fruitfulmomma is online now  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 AM
 
DKPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i definitely think that just because this one study is flawed, you should't feel like you have to vaccinate your children.  Of course a huge deal is being made of this information, because pharmaceutical companies want and need people to vaccinate; that's part of how they stay around.  But i have no doubts if they found out there was reason to believe one of their vaccines did more harm than good maybe thorough one dangerous ingredient and their studies had flaws, this would be covered up and the harmful ingredient would be quietly removed so that people would still trust their doctors and continue getting vaccinated.  I think a lot of it is about money.  

 

I also learned a good deal in college how these pharmaceutical companies are also the ones coming up with new antibiotics all the time and giving doctors some kind of bonus if they sell them, even if these drugs haven't been thoroughly tested.  So they basically use patients as guinea pigs; again it's about money.  To make a long story short, I could never trust such a corrupt industry to make decisions on my child's vaccination schedule.

 

I also agree with other posters that there's so many other reasons to not vaccinate; I think vaccines probably don't do much for your immune system and what are the odds of getting most of the diseases anyway when compared with potential side effects of the vaccines?

DKPA is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
 
pacificbliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We vax our kids based on all the research. This study didn't sway me then and I am not surprised another study has shown the data to be fraudulent.

pacificbliss is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:58 AM
 
tonttu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Of course , there are some side effects to some vacc , like I would NEVER get a flu shot , but some do have benefits . My older cousin died of measles when he was 13 , there is no way I would take that chance with my kids , so MMR is definitely one I would go for .

Other than that , nobody can tell me , that Autism gets caused by the vacc , that´s basically the same rubbish some british doctor came up with , that tdp vacc was responsible for SIDS !

If your kids have no underlying infections or a fever , it´s a lot safer to get them vaccinated than not to .


vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

tonttu is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
 
annyhasababy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been feeling totally persecuted.  Are others feeling this way?  I have a four-month-old son and we are delaying vaccinations because I am highly allergic to so many things including various meds.  Since the big "news" broke, I have been getting it from every end...friends, in-laws, etc.  I read a bunch of articles that are saying Deer may be manipulating his own data for money...

 

I think it would be helpful if non-vaccinators (I'm not talking about super conscious parents that do research and participate in the conversation about vaccines necessarily) would do a little more in the way of keeping their sick children at home.  I am a Waldorf teacher on maternity leave and my former school was the school in CA that made the news a few years ago over pertussis.  If you aren't going to vaccinate you have to be overly careful about exposing your children to others and vice versa.  A lot of people, I've discussed this with in the past week assume that my reasons for not vaccinated are directly related to the Wakefield study which couldn't be farther from the truth...I've gotten off on a side-tangent.  

 

Anyway, no reason to run to the doctor and vaccinate if your reasons for not vaccinating were not related to this study in the first place.  But...it is a really frustrating time to be a non-vaccinating family.  

annyhasababy is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
 
chaoticzenmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All that was proved is that Wakefield screwed up a "study" of 12 kids.  How on earth this translates to vaccines being safe is beyond me.  There is still not a real study available showing the safety of vaccines.  Nothing showing vaccinated children vs. non-vaccinated.  We just have a lot of damaged kids and it's still a mystery as to why.  There is just no way to justify all of the children with such severe health problems like we have now.   I wouldn't Not vaccinate based on a study of 12 kids, so I surely wouldn't vaccinate based on that study being messed up.


Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

chaoticzenmom is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Eliotsmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A fully referenced rebuttle of the Wakefield 'fraud' can be found here: http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/the-big-lie-brian-deer-dr-wakefield-the-british-medical-journal/ 

 

Remember, there were 13 well-respected authors on that paper and it was first published in a very well-respected journal.  I have a hard time believing that there was nothing to this study.  I know many of the authors have distanced themselves from the work after Wakefield has been made a example of, and I don't blame them.  However, I think the vigour with which Wakefield has been pursued is telling of the big toes he's stepped on. 

 

Also, another very interesting story on vaccines and how certain research (that is finding vaccine may not be as safe as we think) is being disregarded. On BBC Radio 4 (only 23 hours left to listen, well worth it!): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x4013 

 

Richard Phinney reports from the West African country of Guinea Bissau, where a team of Danish and African medical sleuths have pieced together evidence that could change public health care forever. They have discovered that vaccines and vitamin supplements have unexpected effects - good and bad - on the immune systems of children.

It's the first time a British journalist has visited the Bandim health surveillance unit, where Dr Peter Aaby and his team has toiled for more than 30 years - through wars, natural disasters and epidemics. A small army of doctors, nurses, field workers and lab technicians now monitor the health of 100,000 people.

Their health detective work has generated more than 600 scholarly articles in the world's leading medical journals, and been responsible for the withdrawal of a potentially deadly measles vaccine by the World Health Organisation.

But the WHO has not acted on the most explosive findings yet coming from Guinea Bissau. They show that the world's most commonly used vaccines can strengthen - or weaken - a child's immune system in the long term, and affect their ability to fight off disease. The results directly challenge the WHO's global health advice, followed by most countries in the developing world, and could mean that thousands of young lives, in Africa and beyond, are needlessly at risk.

We'll hear from some of world's most respected public health scientists who back Aaby's findings. The documentary also asks why the WHO has not yet acted on the evidence generated so far. And whether safety tests for new vaccines and vitamin supplements, heavily promoted by donor agencies and pharmaceutical companies alike, are sufficiently far-reaching. 

Eliotsmum is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
 
freestylemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We vaccinate because we've done our research.


Healthcare is a human right!
freestylemama is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
HRJ
 
HRJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is what my pediatrician has to say on the recent Wakefield information (make sure you continue to read what she has to say in the first comment of her post - she couldn't fit it all into her status update):

 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Ali-Carine/89975944964

HRJ is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM
 
ma2two's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliotsmum View Post

 

Also, another very interesting story on vaccines and how certain research (that is finding vaccine may not be as safe as we think) is being disregarded. On BBC Radio 4 (only 23 hours left to listen, well worth it!): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x4013 

 

 


I listened to it, and learned there is very strong evidence that the diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine decreases overall immunity and increases death from other diseases. The DTP vaccine is more dangerous to girls than boys. Vitamin A given at birth makes the DTP vaccine more dangerous for girls and increases female infant mortality by 41% in Third World countries. The world health community is choosing to disregard this information, and continues to support numerous studies in undeveloped countries that involve giving vitamin A to newborns, both male and female.

ma2two is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
 
mama1803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

We vaccinate because we've done our research.



 And it's because we've done our research that we don't vax.  Through our research my family has learned so much that directly contradicts what the pro-vaccine doctors have told us.  I think it comes down to making an informed decision based on your own particular set of circumstances and how you perceive the risks vs. the benefits.

mama1803 is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM
 
DKPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

We vaccinate because we've done our research.



 And it's because we've done our research that we don't vax.  Through our research my family has learned so much that directly contradicts what the pro-vaccine doctors have told us.  I think it comes down to making an informed decision based on your own particular set of circumstances and how you perceive the risks vs. the benefits.


exactly

DKPA is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 AM
 
mama1803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by annyhasababy View Post

I have been feeling totally persecuted.  Are others feeling this way?  I have a four-month-old son and we are delaying vaccinations because I am highly allergic to so many things including various meds.  Since the big "news" broke, I have been getting it from every end...friends, in-laws, etc.  I read a bunch of articles that are saying Deer may be manipulating his own data for money...

 

I think it would be helpful if non-vaccinators (I'm not talking about super conscious parents that do research and participate in the conversation about vaccines necessarily) would do a little more in the way of keeping their sick children at home.  I am a Waldorf teacher on maternity leave and my former school was the school in CA that made the news a few years ago over pertussis.  If you aren't going to vaccinate you have to be overly careful about exposing your children to others and vice versa.  A lot of people, I've discussed this with in the past week assume that my reasons for not vaccinated are directly related to the Wakefield study which couldn't be farther from the truth...I've gotten off on a side-tangent.  

 

Anyway, no reason to run to the doctor and vaccinate if your reasons for not vaccinating were not related to this study in the first place.  But...it is a really frustrating time to be a non-vaccinating family.  



I wish all parents, not just the non-vaxers, would keep their sick kids at home. 

 

Why would you think it would be helpful if only the non-vaxers kept their sick kids at home?  This comment screams to me that you assume that vaxed kids don't get sick and/or are incapable of spreading disease.  You specifically mention pertussis-are you aware that the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission of whooping cough?  That means that vaxxed kids can and do contract pertussis and are capable of spreading it to others.  In fact, the stats from the so called oubreak in CA confirms that the vast majority of confirmed pertussis cases were in vaxxed persons.  

mama1803 is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

We vaccinate because we've done our research.



 And it's because we've done our research that we don't vax.  Through our research my family has learned so much that directly contradicts what the pro-vaccine doctors have told us.  I think it comes down to making an informed decision based on your own particular set of circumstances and how you perceive the risks vs. the benefits.


Exactly. Every precious child is genetically different, each child has their own set of challenges that may or may not be evident at birth. It's fact that scientists are just now beginning to have a real understanding of the complex nature of the immune system, but particularly an infant's immune system. My whole issue with the vaccine schedule is that it is assumed that all children are carbon copies of one another - that a vaccine will affect each child in the exact same way. Vaccines do have to potential to cause harm, this is not in dispute. What is in dispute is how often they cause harm. The NVICP has paid over 2 billion dollars since 1989 and we all know how hard it actually is to win a case. Vaccine reactions are routinely dismissed or labeled something else by medical professionals. VEARS represents 1-10% of the true numbers.

 

Taking into account my own family history and what I see my child is sturggling with now (he's unvaxed at 2.5 yrs old), I KNOW had I vaxed him he would have been damaged. I have learned a great deal about biochemistry since Ive been trying to unravel my son's issues and I know his (and mine) have certain challenges that others do not have. Public health operates on the sentiment that every child is the same and the vaccines should all be given to all children for the greater good. They acknowledge that very rarely (this is BS IMO) there will be some collaretal damage. It's all well and good until the collateral damage happens to be your child.
 


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
 
freestylemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Each family also has its own circumstances.  We travel internationally as a family and DH leaves the country regularly.  He travels to the three biggest cities in the US regularly (at least once a month) and is the only American in his work group.  We live in a university town and interact regularly with other world travelers.  While we understand that there is a very slight risk of damage from vaccinating, our family decided to vaccinate based on our knowledge that the risks of our daughter (and us!) contracting or spreading vaccine preventable diseases outweigh the risk of a reaction.  Also, while this is often an unpopular view here, we vaccinate because we are not comfortable with the idea of someone in our family spreading a VPD to another person.  For us the decision is also about social responsibility. 


Healthcare is a human right!
freestylemama is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
 
sugarmags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everyone seems to focus and argue about the autism risk whenever vaccines come up. All you have to do is read the literature provided by the vaccine manufacturer with the vaccines and there it is in black and white. Take the shot and your child will/may have xyz reactions, either mild or severe, and may even die. It's that simple. It's like the warning on a pack of cigarettes. Use this product at your own (or child's) peril. You don't have to go any further than the vax maker's product info. For goodness sakes, the doctor actually makes you sign a liability waiver before he injects your child. Doesn't that show how concerned, worried and unsure he is whether something horrible can happen?? People need to focus less on the autism and more on the reality that any shot can kill any person for whatever reason. Although, I do happen to believe the onslaught of shots can result in mild to severe spectrum disorders in certain people and that if they didn't get vaxed they would have been fine. That's just not one of my main arguing points because it is so limiting that you box yourself in a corner. I think about things like allergies, asthma, diabetes, arthritis, GB syndrome and various neurological problems... in addition to the admitted side-effects that just so happen to include death.

sugarmags is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
 
carriebft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


you are not alone in your thinking here. I have recently made some vaccination decisions based on others, perhaps not in entirety but the thought was there. My best friend's son has asthma and she also was pregnant/ had an infant through the last flu season. That played a role in our decision to take the influenza vaccine (along with other things, but it was on our mind). Traveling is also something we consider a lot and that affects a lot of our vaccination decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

Each family also has its own circumstances.  We travel internationally as a family and DH leaves the country regularly.  He travels to the three biggest cities in the US regularly (at least once a month) and is the only American in his work group.  We live in a university town and interact regularly with other world travelers.  While we understand that there is a very slight risk of damage from vaccinating, our family decided to vaccinate based on our knowledge that the risks of our daughter (and us!) contracting or spreading vaccine preventable diseases outweigh the risk of a reaction.  Also, while this is often an unpopular view here, we vaccinate because we are not comfortable with the idea of someone in our family spreading a VPD to another person.  For us the decision is also about social responsibility. 




"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
carriebft is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
 
ciaparker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your concern is not reasonable unless we were talking about something like a polio epidemic. The Waldorf philosophy (which I agree with) believes that getting what used to be routine childhood diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, and even whooping cough are invaluable for strengthening the immune system and teaching the immune system how to deal with such invasions, an education that cannot be acquired any way other then going through the illnesses. My daughter had had DTaP shots at 2, 4, and 6 months but caught whooping cough at a La Leche League meeting when she was nine months old, even though she had gotten three pertussis shots. It was frightening, and she coughed ten times in a row in the coughing fits without taking a breath, and she coughed out sheets of clear, slippery mucus that completely covered the cloth diaper I wiped her face with. I had not had a DTP shot since I was nineteen, I got a booster then before going to Mexico for the first time. Both arms were paralyzed for two days, my college roommate had to carry my tray in the cafeteria, feed me, and help me dress and undress. But at the time I thought it was a normal reaction, and it wore off after two days. Now I think it was Guillain Barré syndrome from the tetanus component of the shot. But regardless, it had been many years since then, and my daughter gave me whooping cough. But though I  was frightened for my baby, who coughed for over a month, I never felt her life was in danger. She seemed normal and happy in between the coughing fits, which were most frequent and severe at night. Last year the school nurse sent home a note saying my daughter had been exposed to a classmate who had pertussis, and that we should see the doctor and put her on antibiotics prophylactically. I wrote back saying that she had had pertussis, and I was not worried about her catching it again. In general pertussis is only dangerous to babies in their first four or six months, when they haven't developed enough to cough out the mucus effectively. I had shingles when my daughter was nearly two, and I deliberately gave it to her so that she would get chicken pox and have permanent immunity. She had a fever for one day and vomited, and was covered with lesions for about two weeks, but she recovered without incident, and now I don't have to even think about chicken pox, exposure, or whether a booster may become necessary in the future. Whenever possible, it's best for a mother to breast-feed for optimal disease protection and keep young babies away from groups of people who may transmit disease. But after early infancy, it would be desirable in most cases to allow children to get the above-mentioned childhood diseases.

ciaparker2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
 
zinemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: from the fire roads to the interstate
Posts: 6,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaparker2 View Post

The Waldorf philosophy (which I agree with) believes that getting what used to be routine childhood diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, and even whooping cough are invaluable for strengthening the immune system and teaching the immune system how to deal with such invasions, an education that cannot be acquired any way other then going through the illnesses.


I went to a Waldorf school for years. One of the oldest in the country, with an entire Athroposophical community associated with it. We went to the Anthroposophical doctor there, who regularly prescribed homeopathic remedies such as inludo (I can still remember the taste of that one!) arsenicum, etc.

He vaccinated us for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diptheria, tetanus and pertussis. Not at my parents' request, but because it was his practice. If there was a "waldorf philosophy" against vaccination, he certainly didn't follow it. I have my own concerns about vaccinations. But I wouldn't look to anthroposophism as a reason not to vaccinate. I prefer science. So did that doctor, apparently.
zinemama is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

Each family also has its own circumstances.  We travel internationally as a family and DH leaves the country regularly.  He travels to the three biggest cities in the US regularly (at least once a month) and is the only American in his work group.  We live in a university town and interact regularly with other world travelers.  While we understand that there is a very slight risk of damage from vaccinating, our family decided to vaccinate based on our knowledge that the risks of our daughter (and us!) contracting or spreading vaccine preventable diseases outweigh the risk of a reaction.  Also, while this is often an unpopular view here, we vaccinate because we are not comfortable with the idea of someone in our family spreading a VPD to another person.  For us the decision is also about social responsibility. 



When people start taking responsibility for their own families' health by breastfeeding when possible, feeding healthy, nutritious food instead of junk food and soda in a baby bottle, and encourage exercise instead of turning a blind eye to their children's obesity, I'll consider putting my children at risk to protect others.

 

Social responsibility is noble, but honestly, society doesn't care about your child.  If your child happens to be one that has a severe reaction to a vaccine and becomes disabled, the society is not going to take responsibility for that.

 

Since you are not comfortable with spreading VPDs to others, do you quarantine your family members after getting vaccines?  Because vaccine shedding spreads illnesses even if the vaccine recipient is asymptomatic.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
 
majormajor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



When people start taking responsibility for their own families' health by breastfeeding when possible, feeding healthy, nutritious food instead of junk food and soda in a baby bottle, and encourage exercise instead of turning a blind eye to their children's obesity, I'll consider putting my children at risk to protect others.

 

Social responsibility is noble, but honestly, society doesn't care about your child.  If your child happens to be one that has a severe reaction to a vaccine and becomes disabled, the society is not going to take responsibility for that.

 

Since you are not comfortable with spreading VPDs to others, do you quarantine your family members after getting vaccines?  Because vaccine shedding spreads illnesses even if the vaccine recipient is asymptomatic.


ouch. don't you think kids growing up in less than ideal situations need our support more than our derision? these are children we're talking about, even if they're fat and eat doritos. and don't forget, you're putting your children at risk to protect your OWN children from a greater risk. protecting other people's children is seldom the primary reason to vaccinate.

 

also, any vaccine that sheds is a weakened vaccine and really, really, REALLY unlikely to cause illness. if it spreads, it will simply give another person immunity without illness, just like the vaccine itself. to actually make a person sick, the virus would have to mutate back into a stronger form, which happens only very rarely (i haven't even seen case reports of it happening in the US in the past 20 years). if you think the risk of shedding warrants quarantining vaccinated kids, then unvaccinated kids should never interact with people.

majormajor is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by majormajor View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



When people start taking responsibility for their own families' health by breastfeeding when possible, feeding healthy, nutritious food instead of junk food and soda in a baby bottle, and encourage exercise instead of turning a blind eye to their children's obesity, I'll consider putting my children at risk to protect others.

 

Social responsibility is noble, but honestly, society doesn't care about your child.  If your child happens to be one that has a severe reaction to a vaccine and becomes disabled, the society is not going to take responsibility for that.

 

Since you are not comfortable with spreading VPDs to others, do you quarantine your family members after getting vaccines?  Because vaccine shedding spreads illnesses even if the vaccine recipient is asymptomatic.


ouch. don't you think kids growing up in less than ideal situations need our support more than our derision? these are children we're talking about, even if they're fat and eat doritos. and don't forget, you're putting your children at risk to protect your OWN children from a greater risk. protecting other people's children is seldom the primary reason to vaccinate.

 

also, any vaccine that sheds is a weakened vaccine and really, really, REALLY unlikely to cause illness. if it spreads, it will simply give another person immunity without illness, just like the vaccine itself. to actually make a person sick, the virus would have to mutate back into a stronger form, which happens only very rarely (i haven't even seen case reports of it happening in the US in the past 20 years). if you think the risk of shedding warrants quarantining vaccinated kids, then unvaccinated kids should never interact with people.

 

My point is that it's not my responsibility to protect someone else's kids from measles when their own parents turn a blind eye to the habits that are causing juvenile diabetes and obesity, because that's how they were raised "and turned out fine"  *scoff*.  I think the social responsibility argument is bunk because of things like that, and smelling smoke on a fellow NICU mom's clothes while she is pumping for her premature infant.

 

Shedding is real.

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/2008/02/24/secondary-transmission-%EF%BB%BFthe-short-and-sweet-about-live-virus-vaccine-shedding/

 

 

Unvaccinated kids should never interact with people?  Because prior to vaccines, the human race was on the brink of extinction?  Not at all the same, and I was merely responding to Freestylemama's statement that they vaccinate because they don't want to give someone else VPDs.  My question to her about quarantining is a valid one.
 


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
 
freestylemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a lot that I want to address.  I'm unwilling to argue about whether my concerns are reasonable.  I regret that it was suggested that they're not, because I certainly never said anyone else wasn't being reasonable.  I'm certain that my response will fail to persuade anyone basing their beliefs on Waldorf and Steiner, which is essentially a religious philosophy.  The epistimologies by which we're making our decisions are profoundly different: I look towards evidence based medicine when making decisions regarding my family's health.

 

I also just want to "yeah that" (I miss smilies!) Majormajor's post.  We are a super healthy, super responsible family.  We care about society because we're part of it.  I certainly don't want to imply that non-vaccinating families don't care about society or aren't part of it, I just don't agree with the idea that society doesn't care about us.  If I'm part of society and I care, then that's not true.  

 

ETA: I disregard most research that I read on the internet unless it's from a reputable, peer-reviewed source.


Healthcare is a human right!
freestylemama is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
 
awallrising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wyoming Valley (PA)
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Even though I haven't vax'd, I'm not totally anti-vax & I won't tell anyone to not vax.  I would strongly urge anyone to do your own research & not be intimidated into doing something that goes against your reason/intuition. Our pediatrician accepts my choice without criticism & actually will not vax according to the AAP schedule.  Other medical professionals have told me to not vax before age 3 because the immune system is more mature by then.  I also know several medical pros who will not vax their own kids or do it on an alternative schedule.  I do feel that there is a link between autism & the current vaccine schedule, although anyone has yet to prove it.  There is a very serious reason that 1 in 110 (vs 1 in 15000 kids decades ago) have autism in this country & I doubt it has anything to do with new diagnosis standards as some "experts" suggest.

 

Ok, back to he Wakefield study, it was just one study of an extremely small example of children.  And just b/c one study about vax & autism is allegedly untrue, does not mean that there is not a link.  Someone needs to do a large sample study comparing full-vax, alt-vax & non-vax kids (I'd bet money that correlations will be found) & then do further research for causation afterward.  So even if the Wakefield study is a fake, I can think of 6 reasons off the top of my head to not follow, or at least seriously question, the AAPs vaccine schedule.

 

1. The US mandates substantially more vaccines than other "healthier" countries (that alone should raise questions) & we just happen to have much higher autism rates.

2. Vax'ing a 2 mth old (& older baby) with 8+ vaccines a visit goes against all sense of reason & my mother's intuition (yes, that's my subjective opinion)

3. There is not 1 study proving the safety of the above multiple vax practice

4. Some of the mandatory vaccines are for "inconvenient" diseases, e.g. chicken pox, or for diseases that haven't been seen in the US for decades

5. Being vax'd isn't a guarantee you won't contract that illness

6. Over-vax'ing may have detrimental effects to our innate immune function & cause add'l non-autism problems (like seizures, asthma, Guillain Barre syndrome, etc.)

 

One of the best things to do for your baby is breastfeed as long as you can & feed your children nutritious whole foods whenever possible.  In addition to numerous benefits, BFing increases the size of the thymus which plays a huge role in immunity.

 

Below are some interesting articles recommended to be by Jeanne Ohm, they're meant to be informative not conclusive.  I also recommend checking out hard data (not opinion based articles) on issues like how other countries vaccinate & their autism rates (vs the US), how US autism rates have changed as multiple vaccinations have become more prevalent, the prevalence of "vaccine-preventable" illnesses over time in the US & Europe, the lists of vaccine ingredients on the CDC website (& add them all up to consider 8+ vaccines a visit) and so on.  Plus just think about (& research) each disease & what is the actual chance of getting it, the chance of having permanent health probs b/c of it, or the chances of dying vs the consequences of over-vax'ing.  No one wants to risk their child dying or being permanently damaged, but I feel like the chances of contracting certain diseases let alone dying from are very low in many instances.  This is overwhelming, I know, I've been there, but I think that educating ourselves is the only way we can reach the right conclusions for our families.  I would be interested to know what research would lead a parent to follow the AAP schedule.  That's just an honest statement, no negativity implied.

 

Here are some articles on immunity:
http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/vaccinations-informed-consent-efficacy-and-strengthening-immunity.html
http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/challenging-the-theory-of-artificial-immunity.html
http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/how-do-vaccines-work-immune-mechanisms-and-consequences.html
http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/not-a-battle-but-a-housecleaning/Page-3.html

And on parents finding their philosophical connection:
http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/letter-from-the-editor-jeanne-ohm-dc.html


"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

awallrising is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off