may lose nanny job due to dd's vax status - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

interviewing to work for a dr (D.O.)/nurse couple. they are ver naturally minded, bfing, cding, etc. but they asked about dd's vax status (has none at 10 mos and don't intend to have any). sounds like a deal breaker. i want to send them some info on the actual risks nonvaxed kids pose, but can't find the 09 mothering article. so far i just have this one: http://secretsofnaturalhealing.blogspot.com/2009/12/forced-vaccinations-and-myth-behind.html

their ds is 3 mo old. i thought i would mention some things like frequent handwashing and notifying them of any symptoms we have before we come around. any other ideas?

#2 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Since she is watching a child too young to get some vaccines and too young to have full protection from most series, I could see how this question would interest the family. I think there are a lot of issues with that mothering article and many aspects that are not taken into account such as much higher colonization rates of hib and pneomoccocal strains in children not vaccinated, recent studies on the spread of rotavirus, varicella passage, etc.

The child is 3 months old, at that age there is a lot of dependence on those around you to be vaccinated.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM

At a mom who hires nannies I say let it go and find another job.  They obviously have an opinion on vaxing since it came up in the interview process. Your gut reaction is that it is a "deal breaker".  I would be completely turned off if a prospective employee sent me information of that nature and tried to convince me to change my mind.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 AM

I agree: if they have a problem with your child's vaccine status I'd let the job go and find another.
#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input. i just want to mention that i did ask permission to send them info and wife was ok with it. does anyone have access to the mothering article? i sent an email to mothering to help me out, but no response yet.

#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 AM

I don't have the article, but don't forget about the threat a vax'ed child has on an un-vax'ed child

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM

By your logic, no one should get vaccinated.  And if no one gets vaccinated, the disease runs unchecked.  The effectiveness of the vaccine is never guaranteed to be 100%, but if you introduce a disease to a vaccinated population, the effectiveness rate drops significantly. 

Say, for example, that the effectiveness is only 90%.  If everyone in a population of 10 is vaccinated, the disease is not allowed to exist--to 99%.  If just one child is not vaccinated, if they introduce the disease to the same population, the vaccine is now only 81% effective.  You have to vaccinate to 100% of the population in order to get the maximum effectiveness of the vaccine.

- William

#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamOP View Post

By your logic, no one should get vaccinated. 

Exactly! LOL

#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Please remember to remain on-topic for the thread, focusing on the OP's situation of wanting to share information with a prospective employer.

#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well they did their research, talked to the ped, and ultimately decided to hire me! I didn't try to talk them into it or even send them anything. They don't feel that DD poses a significant risk, but that their DS is at risk for RSV and other infections while at daycare. So it's a go! Thanks again for the input.

sosurreal09 likes this.

#11 of 11 Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Fabulous news!  I'm glad that you get the job you want without having to compromise your beliefs!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page