Non-Vaxxers Opinions on everyone becoming non-vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I often see this issue posed by the pro-vax people, their concern is if so many people continue to not vaccinate, we will start to have comebacks of serious diseases.

So, do you non-vaxxers want everyone to not vax their children because you so firmly believe they are that dangerous? Or are you not vaxxing because you dont want to subject YOUR child to the chemicals/risks, but feel safe bc of the herd immunity recieved when the rest of the population is vaxed?

What do you guys think of this?

Dixielane (22) Wife to DH,  co-sleeping familybed1.gif, saynovax.gifexclusive BFing, BWing femalesling.GIF
Mommy to DD "S" born May 2010energy.gif & EXPECTING #2!! babyf.gifpos.gif due Jan. 2012
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixielane View Post

I often see this issue posed by the pro-vax people, their concern is if so many people continue to not vaccinate, we will start to have comebacks of serious diseases.

So, do you non-vaxxers want everyone to not vax their children because you so firmly believe they are that dangerous? Or are you not vaxxing because you dont want to subject YOUR child to the chemicals/risks, but feel safe bc of the herd immunity recieved when the rest of the population is vaxed?

I don't care if others vaccinate or not.  I don't vaccinate my child because I don't believe it is in her best interests.  I don't rely on herd immunity to keep her safe because I don't believe it is as simple as the theory predicts.  If everyone chose not to vaccinate, that would be ok with me.

#3 of 14 Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Sort of both.

There are diseases I do not worry about that people vax for.  There are vaxes I do not think are particulalry effective.  There are vaxes I think are misused (mistimed usually) and  lastly, there are vaxes I am glad are somewhat effective and have lowered the chances of my children getting the disease through "herd immunity".  This last one only applies to one or 2 diseases.   

I do not feel any guilt about the last one.  The reasons I do not vaccinate are stronger than the small pro of herd immunity to certain diseases.  

I would be hunky-dorry if everyone chose not to vax or vax selectively.  I truly doubt the death rate in Canada would rise exponentially, and it might save some children from vax damage and other things we suspect might be related to vaccinations.

I also think, in the final analysis, parents have to do what is best for their own kids.  I imagine parents who vax do so because they believe it is the best thing for their child.  I doubt they are thinking about herd mentality.  Indeed, I would be slightly horrified if someone vaccinated their child to increase "herd immunity".  

Herd immunity is a public health discussion.  It is not a parental discussion, because of course parents are going to do what is in the best interest of their child.  

#4 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

Quote:

I don't care if others vaccinate or not.  I don't vaccinate my child because I don't believe it is in her best interests.  I don't rely on herd immunity to keep her safe because I don't believe it is as simple as the theory predicts.  If everyone chose not to vaccinate, that would be ok with me.

This is what I have said to everyone that accuses me of taking advantage of "the herd."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM

"

peainthepod likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM

I'd be totally ok with it if everybody chose not to vax.

#7 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM

I took the delayed/selective route for various reasons. I felt comfortable doing this because of herd immunity (which I believe in). I thought it was unlikely that my kids were going to get VPDs during the time they were unvaccinated (except chicken pox, which I wanted them to get). So yes, much of the rest of the population being vaccinated made me feel safer. Now that my kids are vaccinated (mostly), I'm fine with being "the herd" for for others who want to delay or skip certain vaccinations, like I did.
#8 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 AM

If more and more people stopped vaccinating AND something like polio or dipitheria re-entered as it did in Russia (both diseases) in recent history, then we might change our schedule based on that, but this would be an effect on our own family, kwim? but I am like the previous member see the evidence supporting herd immunity as factual (with degrees depending on vaccine)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#9 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

Quote:

Yup! I'm more worried about superbugs caused by Vaxes and abx than I am about "common childhood illnesses".

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM

I feel that with proper nutrition, excersise, hygene, and sanitation, the choice to vaccinate wouldnt even be an issue.  Just the use of soap has changed the overall health of our socitey in the last 100 years.  The rest of the issue is way more politcal then it is medical, IMO, and that is where I will stop.  winky.gif

#11 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM

I'd be totally ok with it if everybody chose not to vax. Furthermore, I'm very outspoken about the dangers of vaccines. I'm trying to educate parents on the issue everytime I get a chance.

peainthepod likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 PM

I believe that vaccines as they are marketed and sold today are extremely dangerous and do nothing to contribute to a person's overall health and wellbeing. I would be utterly thrilled if everyone on the planet stopped vaxing immediately, forever.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#13 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wish people would stop vaccinating their children. I feel that there might be long term effects of these chemicals on the population. I think we are going to see a much sicker older population in the years to come. Children today, I think, will be sicker and unable to handle new illness as they age. I am betting we will see higher incidences of things like Alzeihmers. I am just seriously concerned. I also worry about the effects on fertility and the next generation. 

One thing people need to realize, which they usually do not, in fact, I don't know anyone who vaccinates that realizes this, adults today have never had most the shots that a newborn today would have. I have heard so much nonsense from vax'ers along the lines on "I was fully vaccinated so my children will be too" and then I point out that if they had all the shots available 30 yrs ago, they still did not have half the shots they are planning to give their infant. The ONLY shots around when I was born was DTP, Polio, and Small Pox. The Small Pox one was discontinued right after I was born so I never had it. Ironic that they discontinued that shot a couple years before it was considered erradicated, but the Polio shot is still around despite the CDC issuing a certificate of erradication back in 1994.

#14 of 14 Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

I wish people would stop vaccinating their children. I feel that there might be long term effects of these chemicals on the population. I think we are going to see a much sicker older population in the years to come. Children today, I think, will be sicker and unable to handle new illness as they age. I am betting we will see higher incidences of things like Alzeihmers. I am just seriously concerned. I also worry about the effects on fertility and the next generation. 

This, exactly.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page