#31 of 42 Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

My research showed more than that. I was looking at CP vax yesterday and CDC site said 1 in 1000 (or less) so...

I am not trying to star a big debate over here though.

So SOME CAN CAUSE seizures which is good enough for me.

Well, the overall risk of having a  febrile seizure at any time during a childhood illness associated with fever is 1 in 25.  Pretty high.  So, if you are really worried about febrile seizures, you probably should vax- then you have a lower chance of getting a febrile illness.

Febrile seizures are harmless, the child doesn't even remember it and they don't do anything to the brain (unlike non-febrile seizures). Although they are extremely scary for the parent the first time. I don't consider them in my risk analysis for vaccines.  Likewise, soreness, redness, bruising at the injection site or a rash, headache, tiredness aren't enough of a reaction to influence my decision. Fever is a normal part of childhood, so I don't decide against a vaccine because it may cause a fever.

#32 of 42 Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

Quote:

My research showed more than that. I was looking at CP vax yesterday and CDC site said 1 in 1000 (or less) so...

I am not trying to star a big debate over here though.

So SOME CAN CAUSE seizures which is good enough for me.

Well, the overall risk of having a  febrile seizure at any time during a childhood illness associated with fever is 1 in 25.  Pretty high.  So, if you are really worried about febrile seizures, you probably should vax- then you have a lower chance of getting a febrile illness.

Febrile seizures are harmless, the child doesn't even remember it and they don't do anything to the brain (unlike non-febrile seizures). Although they are extremely scary for the parent the first time. I don't consider them in my risk analysis for vaccines.  Likewise, soreness, redness, bruising at the injection site or a rash, headache, tiredness aren't enough of a reaction to influence my decision. Fever is a normal part of childhood, so I don't decide against a vaccine because it may cause a fever.

But apparently for that poster, sosurreal, it is one of her concerns. That post was probably directed more towards her.

Mamja likes this.
#33 of 42 Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM

OK so you are saying febrile seizures are harmless. So then if I don't vax and she gets a febrile seizure from something she will be fine? If I do vax the side effect says seizure, not febrile seizure, so she can have a damaging seizure with lasting effects from a vaccine. So then that would once again support not vaccinating, correct?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#34 of 42 Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

OK so you are saying febrile seizures are harmless. So then if I don't vax and she gets a febrile seizure from something she will be fine? If I do vax the side effect says seizure, not febrile seizure, so she can have a damaging seizure with lasting effects from a vaccine. So then that would once again support not vaccinating, correct?

Well, here's the thing: The CDC link you posted above for chicken pox vaccine side effects says the following:

"A seizure (jerking and staring spell) usually caused by fever may occur in less than 1 in 1000 vaccine recipients. This may not be related to the vaccine."

Seizure caused by fever = febrile seizure. That's the risk we're talking about, here. So, your claim that the vaccine causes seizure in 1 in 1000 (or less, you said) isn't completely accurate.

#35 of 42 Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't say I was inaccurate. It doesn't specifically say febrile seizure.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#36 of 42 Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

But your source specifically said that the seizures in question may not be related to the vaccine.  So unless I'm missing something, you are balancing the unproven possibility that the chicken pox vaccine could cause seizures in a small number of kids, and the even smaller and still unproven possibility that some of those seizures could potentially be harmful and have lasting effects, against the very real and very well established fact that a significant number of people who get chicken pox have complications so severe that they require hospitalization, and the also real and well established fact that some of those people will have seizures (or worse) as a result of having chicken pox.  I don't get why that would support not vaccinating.

#37 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 AM

It's chickenpox! Seriously? You are afraid of chickenpox? For adults it can be serious, but for kids it's usually just a week of being sick, then lifelong immunity.

Look I am going to be flat out honest here. I am not the person to be having this "discussion" with the people who are pushing for vax over here. ( I am not admitting defeat either I just don't have the time or resources to be arguing this) I was just trying to give my two sense. There are plenty of well educated mamas on the I'm Not Vaccinating board who have a lot more info than me. I did vax until I realized that my DD's problems were from vax. Once we stopped vaxing all her reactions subsided, I know in my heart and with my faith, that I need to not vax anymore. Yes for me religion plays a part. Also I know a TON of reactions go unreported and my DDs for example were of course "not caused by vax, it was just coincidence" Which IS BULL. So you want to trust the CDC and the Gov and all of that with making sure what they want you to inject into your child is safe? Go ahead it's your kid.

I do know febrile seizures can lead to epilepsy.

Anyway here are some good links on whats in vax and a report from a bunch of DRs and NDs I found helpful OP

http://www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/SpecialReports/VaccinesFullStory/v1/VaccineReport-EN.pdf

#38 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Oh, no, I'm not afraid of chicken pox.  I'm also not afraid of vaccines.  I was just responding to what you said.  I have no intention of pushing vaccines on anyone, and I'm glad that you are confident in your choice.  I just think that the vax discussion should remain honest and based on facts.  That's my goal.  smile.gif

Otto likes this.
#39 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Look, I'm not trying to attack you, sosurreal. Nor do I think anyone here is "pushing vax." It's just not helpful to anyone (including the anti-vax cause) when you respond to an honest inquiry with blatantly false information (i.e. statistics published by the CDC). If anything, I hope this thread serves as an example of how much misinformation is out there. I'm all for informed consent, informed being the key word here.

As for the febrile seizures... I've lost track of how that plays into your argument, but the research seems to show a slight (2-4 percent, though some studies show less) increase in epilepsy in children who have had febrile seizures, but only when combined with other risk factors.

If anyone is interested:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/febrile_seizures.htm

http://www.epilepsy.com/pdfs/transcripts_febrile_seizures.pdf

http://www.med.nyu.edu/cec/epilepsy/types/febrile.html
#40 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 AM

How did I blantantly post false info from the CDC? The website I posted did say 1 in 1000. Sure I didn't post the whole stinking paragraph, but when asked I did provide the link.

#41 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

The CDC website actually made me chose not to vax b/c it states the reactions and the rates of them. 1 in 1000 kids have a seizure from most of the vaxs...that doesn't seem like a good risk to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This sounded off to me, so I checked. Of all the vaccines listed on the CDC website, seizures are only listed as a possible complication for five of them, and never in the "1 in 1000" range you quoted. (Quoted from www.CDC.gov)
DTaP: Seizure (jerking or staring) (about 1 child out of 14,000)
Japanese encephalitis: Seizures or other serious nervous system problems (between 1 in 50,000 and 1 in a million).
MMR: Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)
MMRV: Seizure caused by fever (about 1 child in 1,250 who get MMRV), usually 5-12 days after the first dose. They happen less often when MMR and varicella vaccines are given at the same visit as separate shots (about 1 child in 2,500 who get these two vaccines), and rarely after a 2nd dose of MMRV.
Chicken pox: Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (very rare).

OP: Good luck with your research. Like others have mentioned, be sure you're getting information from good, reputable sources.

#42 of 42 Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Let's please get back on topic regarding any suggestions you might have for good vaccine information resources. If you wish to further explore incidence rates of specific vaccine reactions, please start a new thread. If you would like to further discuss the relationship between febrile seizures and epilepsy, please start a new thread in Health & Healing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page