How getting measles this week has made this non-vaxer think hard. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 104 Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 AM
 
awallrising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wyoming Valley (PA)
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Typhus & Scarlet Fever (2 diseases that there are no vaccines for to date) declined drastically without vaccines.  Why is that?  The same reasons that many other "VPD" dramatically declined before vaccines..... improved nutrition, sanitation & cleaner drinking water.  Before you start stating how many lives have been saved by vaccines, you need to look at the history of these diseases & see that WAY BEFORE vaccines ever came on the scene, "VPD"s dramatically decreased &  I mean dramatically.  The reasons I mentioned earlier have way more to do with saving lives then vaccines do & to my knowledge have no adverse effects.  You cannot compare diseases in the US & 3rd world countries....I think someone referred to it before as comparing apples & toothpaste.  I would bet money that if the same advances in nutrition, access to clean drinking water & improved sanitation would result in the same reduction in VPD & other diseases.  Until those things happen, vaccines may be the best solution for people in those countries although I have concerns about the damage vaccines do to their immune systems.

 

I am sorry for anyone who has lost a child to a VPD or any other disease for that matter.  I am also very sorry for all of the vaccine related injuries to children.  Personally, my grandparents (in their 80s) can't recall anyone who died from a "VPD".  My Aunt is 60 & pretty much all of her friends had measles, rubella, mumps, chicken pox, etc & she knows of no one that died or suffered permanent damage.  Polio is a whole other story.  Then again there is strong evidence that the Polio epidemic wasn't really Polio & was a form a meningitis.  Anecdotal "evidence" that feels relevant in your decision-making process is fine, but you cannot use it to make broad-reaching statements about vaccines & "VPDs".

 

Saying "shame on you" to parents who don't read the vax inserts shows a lack of compassion & empathy IMO.  Parents are not to blame for vaccine-related injuries.  Most parents trust that their providers are offering something safe to their children & don't question everything like I & many other parents do.  Providers should be just as responsible, if not more, for discussing the risks with parents instead of pushing them as being 100% safe & effective as is typically done.  Doctors are equally if not more responsible for reporting to VAERS but many do not wish to do so.  As for vaccine injuries happening to a small percentage of people, that is just flat-out wrong.  VAERS is about 10% of the total estimated negative outcomes.  The actual #s reported are significant & when you multiply it by 10, it goes beyond significant & moves into horrifying.

 

I see a pattern in this thread as I do in the Vax argument in general...those who are anti-vax (or selectively vax) are far better educated on the facts about vaccines than those who are pro-vax.  The drug companies rely heavily on evoking an emotional response from people & scaring them into vaxing.  I have done countless hours of research on "VPDs", their history, the vaccines themselves and so on.  IMO In the US & other developed countries, extended breastfeeding, proper nutrition, an intact immune system are the best defenses against disease.  The chances of being hospitalized or dying from a "VPD" today is incredibly rare while having a vaccine injury is not rare at all.

MyBoysBlue, Marnica and Bokonon like this.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

awallrising is offline  
#62 of 104 Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

actually, Scarlet Fever is just strep with a rash infection. Antibiotics is probably the reason we don't see it that often.  it really isn't a big deal cause we have antibiotics.

 

and Typhus is caused by Lice, so yes, proper hygiene, less crowded living conditions and access to insecticide is probably what helped bring that down.

 

my dh grew up in Peru and his mother lost 3 children due to VPD, everyone in his generation lost sibs because of VPDs.  there has not been ANY change in terms of access to drinking water (you still need to boil it) or even most medical clinics (his family regularly sends down meds from here), but the deaths of children have decreased dramatically due to vaccines.  

raelize is offline  
#63 of 104 Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

and if it was simply just proper hygiene, why do we see more VPDs showing up lately? are people suddenly living in filthy conditions? why is whooping cough back in california? is it because everyone there is skipping their veggies and not washing hands?

raelize is offline  
#64 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 AM
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post

and if it was simply just proper hygiene, why do we see more VPDs showing up lately? are people suddenly living in filthy conditions? why is whooping cough back in california? is it because everyone there is skipping their veggies and not washing hands?

 

Some diseases, particularly whooping cough, have a natural tendency to cycle every 2 to 5 years or so, so vaccines or not (particularly since vaccines are not nearly as effective as they claim), you're always going to see them reemerge. The whooping cough vaccine doesn't even prevent transmission of the disease so it's really not a good case for your argument.


Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#65 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

double post


Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#66 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 AM
 
awallrising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wyoming Valley (PA)
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

raelize- scarlet fever declined way before antibiotics.  and you can't accurately compare Peru to the US.  I am not talking about hygiene in the hands washing sense, nor was I referring to one disease or small outbreaks.  Do you have any idea how poorly sewage was handled in the past?  or how contaminated drinking water was?  2 reasons why you can't compare the US & other less developed countries.  Again, if you were to look at the history of these diseases in the US & would think in broader terms, you would see that they dramatically declined before vaccines ever came into being.  Whatever the reason for that, the facts are the facts.  Most, if not all, VPDs declined way before vaccines came into use (like many decades).  How does a pro-vaxer explain that?  Intentionally oversimplifying my argument doesn't change the facts & comparing VPDs in the US & other countries is not an apples to apples comparison.

 

As SilverMoon010 mentions- The pertussis vaccine is only designed to prevent clinical cases, which means you can still contract a subclinical case & spread the disease (that's info straight from the vax companies too).  Besides the fact that this particular vaccine has a low efficacy.  And Pertussis is cyclical.  Nearly all of the infants that died in the Cal epidemic were in Latino populations (who are known to vaccinate) but there may have been some cultural influences that affected their outcomes.  Those children could easily have been exposed to vaccinated family members who contracted a subclinical case & didn't realize they had whooping cough b/c it lacked the classic whopping cough symptoms & b/c they thought they were protected by the vaccine.


"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

awallrising is offline  
#67 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
 
pers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post

raelize- scarlet fever declined way before antibiotics.  and you can't accurately compare Peru to the US.  I am not talking about hygiene in the hands washing sense, nor was I referring to one disease or small outbreaks.  Do you have any idea how poorly sewage was handled in the past?  or how contaminated drinking water was?  2 reasons why you can't compare the US & other less developed countries.  Again, if you were to look at the history of these diseases in the US & would think in broader terms, you would see that they dramatically declined before vaccines ever came into being.  Whatever the reason for that, the facts are the facts.  Most, if not all, VPDs declined way before vaccines came into use (like many decades).  How does a pro-vaxer explain that?  Intentionally oversimplifying my argument doesn't change the facts & comparing VPDs in the US & other countries is not an apples to apples comparison.


This is not true.  Death rates did indeed decline due to such reasons as better food availability, better living conditions,  and better medicine and better medical care.  Measles, for instance, only kills or so for each thousand cases in the developed world while it still kills as many as one in ten cases in the areas of extreme poverty, all due to living conditions.  Also, some diseases which are spread by contaminated water or food or insect vectors also really did decline due to water treatment/modern sanitation, clean food, and pest control.  

 

But many for many vaccine preventable diseases such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, rubella, etc. which spread directly from person to person rather than by insect/bad water there is only so much handwashing and washing desks at school etc. can do to prevent it.  These diseases did not decline in incidence prior to vaccine.  And while they were much less deadly than they could be thanks to improved living conditions, one or so out of each thousand kids dead to measles if we went back to the days when practically all kids got it by age ten would still come to an awfully high total.  Even a couple hundred deaths to chickenpox in the US each year is enough to be worth trying to prevent.  And that is just considering deaths, not complications such as encephalitis, blindness, permanent scars especially on the face, sterility, lung damage, etc 

 

pers is offline  
#68 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 AM
 
SilverMoon010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

 

I grieve for the lack of natural immunity that lasts a lifetime in our present society.  There will be a health crisis in this respect in the future.

 


I agree.  I think the continuation of suppression of natural immunity over the years is going to bite us in the arse in the future.  I think vaccinating for every little thing is one of those things that people think is a great idea at the time but I do think down the road this will create issues when no one has any natural immunity to ANYTHING.  I believe there will be consequences.....but then again....I'm sure they'll have a vaccine for whatever the consequence is anywayeyesroll.gif  Kind of like the issue with antibiotics and their overuse, creating antibiotic-resistant superbugs. (Aren't they working on a vaccine for that? Covering the issue with a Band-Aid with yet another form of overused medical intervention).  I feel vaccines and their overuse are going to certainly present problems down the road regarding a health crisis of some sort.

 

While I can understand that people have the desire to vaccinate for some things, I can't understand the need for the vaccination schedule today.


Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

SilverMoon010 is offline  
#69 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post




This is not true.  Death rates did indeed decline due to such reasons as better food availability, better living conditions,  and better medicine and better medical care.  Measles, for instance, only kills or so for each thousand cases in the developed world while it still kills as many as one in ten cases in the areas of extreme poverty, all due to living conditions.  Also, some diseases which are spread by contaminated water or food or insect vectors also really did decline due to water treatment/modern sanitation, clean food, and pest control.  

 

But many for many vaccine preventable diseases such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, rubella, etc. which spread directly from person to person rather than by insect/bad water there is only so much handwashing and washing desks at school etc. can do to prevent it.  These diseases did not decline in incidence prior to vaccine.  And while they were much less deadly than they could be thanks to improved living conditions, one or so out of each thousand kids dead to measles if we went back to the days when practically all kids got it by age ten would still come to an awfully high total.  Even a couple hundred deaths to chickenpox in the US each year is enough to be worth trying to prevent.  And that is just considering deaths, not complications such as encephalitis, blindness, permanent scars especially on the face, sterility, lung damage, etc 

 


 

I thought this was an interesting and relevant paper.

 

http://www.ppge.ufrgs.br/giacomo/arquivos/eco02072/mckinlay-mckinlay-1977.pdf
 

 


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#70 of 104 Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM
 
awallrising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wyoming Valley (PA)
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry I was wrong about cases not decreasing....Measles mumps & rubella deaths did decline before vaccines (yes, cases did not... but without a death or other negative outcomes the # of cases doesn't warrant me vax'ing my kid).  If you happen to be that 1 in 1000 child that dies it's tragic, but it doesn't justify injuring thousands upon thousands of children with vaccines.  With all of these alleged deaths from CP, measles, etc. do we know of any other factors that caused the death of these children?  Like with H1N1, nearly all of the children that were said to die from H1N1 actually had Staph in their lungs which is really caused their deaths, not the H1N1 virus itself.  I know it happens, but deaths from these childhood "VPD"s are rare as are hospitalizations even though the powers that be try to make it seem more than it really is to keep us all scared.  Statistics regarding outcomes are often manipulated to make VPDs & vaccines appear the way Big Pharma & their lackeys want them to appear.

 

I agree with SilverMoon010 once again...even if you can make a case for individual vaccines, the current AAP vaccine schedule is extremely aggressive (more so than any other country in the world) & IMO is playing a huge role in vaccine injuries.  We vaccinate the most & have the highest rates of autism, not to mention all of the other disorders that vaccines probably cause.  You might be able to convince me of the value of certain vaccines given judiciously, but you will never convince me that a newborn needs a Hep B vaccine, that a 2 mth old needs 8 vaccines in one sitting & that children by the age of 2 need dozens of vaccines.

 

Vaccines are a multi-billion dollar industry.  Vax makers (& the FDA & CDC who get a lot of funding from them) have a lot of reasons to keep us misinformed & scared.....including trying to demonize non-vax'ing parents.  I pray that the philosophical exemption in PA remains in tact so I can protect my children.

Bokonon likes this.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

awallrising is offline  
#71 of 104 Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post

raelize- scarlet fever declined way before antibiotics.  and you can't accurately compare Peru to the US.  I am not talking about hygiene in the hands washing sense, nor was I referring to one disease or small outbreaks.  Do you have any idea how poorly sewage was handled in the past?  or how contaminated drinking water was?  2 reasons why you can't compare the US & other less developed countries.  Again, if you were to look at the history of these diseases in the US & would think in broader terms, you would see that they dramatically declined before vaccines ever came into being.  Whatever the reason for that, the facts are the facts.  Most, if not all, VPDs declined way before vaccines came into use (like many decades).  How does a pro-vaxer explain that?  Intentionally oversimplifying my argument doesn't change the facts & comparing VPDs in the US & other countries is not an apples to apples comparison.

 

As SilverMoon010 mentions- The pertussis vaccine is only designed to prevent clinical cases, which means you can still contract a subclinical case & spread the disease (that's info straight from the vax companies too).  Besides the fact that this particular vaccine has a low efficacy.  And Pertussis is cyclical.  Nearly all of the infants that died in the Cal epidemic were in Latino populations (who are known to vaccinate) but there may have been some cultural influences that affected their outcomes.  Those children could easily have been exposed to vaccinated family members who contracted a subclinical case & didn't realize they had whooping cough b/c it lacked the classic whopping cough symptoms & b/c they thought they were protected by the vaccine.

i am not trying to compare the US and Peru.  i was comparing Peru before widespread use of vax (which is only in the last 20 years or so) and Peru post widespread use of vax. my point is that if it was only hygiene and better water treatment, etc, and nothing to do with vaxes then you would not see the large decrease of childhood deaths and disabilities in third world countries as you have seen because in most third world countries their health and welfare infrastructure (water treatment, food regulation) has not been improved.  

if you look at UN data, most third world countries have seen significant drop offs in death and injury due to VPD once vaxes are used widely.  and now you can also see in some African and South East Asian countries increases in Polio and other VPD because people are starting to mistrust vaxes and refusing them.  POlio was almost wiped out in Indonesia but it is back because of vaccine fears.  In France this year they are having measles outbreaks because of vaccine refusals.  England has also had this problem.

Diseases like Cholera and other water born illness have definately dropped mainly because of better water treatment, but others have nothing to do with water treatment because they are not water born illness.

where is the data that thousands of children have been injured by vaxes? is it the VAERS? because that is a passive data collection. no one actually verifies any of those data points.  i could claim that my dd1's difficult labor was because of my vaccine injury and no one would remove that from the database or verify it. so it is not a database that can be actually used to calculate numbers of injured or types of injuries.
 

 

raelize is offline  
#72 of 104 Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post



i am not trying to compare the US and Peru.  i was comparing Peru before widespread use of vax (which is only in the last 20 years or so) and Peru post widespread use of vax. my point is that if it was only hygiene and better water treatment, etc, and nothing to do with vaxes then you would not see the large decrease of childhood deaths and disabilities in third world countries as you have seen because in most third world countries their health and welfare infrastructure (water treatment, food regulation) has not been improved.  

if you look at UN data, most third world countries have seen significant drop offs in death and injury due to VPD once vaxes are used widely.  and now you can also see in some African and South East Asian countries increases in Polio and other VPD because people are starting to mistrust vaxes and refusing them.  POlio was almost wiped out in Indonesia but it is back because of vaccine fears.  In France this year they are having measles outbreaks because of vaccine refusals.  England has also had this problem.

Diseases like Cholera and other water born illness have definately dropped mainly because of better water treatment, but others have nothing to do with water treatment because they are not water born illness.

where is the data that thousands of children have been injured by vaxes? is it the VAERS? because that is a passive data collection. no one actually verifies any of those data points.  i could claim that my dd1's difficult labor was because of my vaccine injury and no one would remove that from the database or verify it. so it is not a database that can be actually used to calculate numbers of injured or types of injuries.
 

 


http://www.sify.com/news/polio-vaccines-may-have-lost-efficacy-in-pakistan-news-international-kmwrEgjdfbe.html

 

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-08-25/lucknow/28299831_1_measles-vaccine-probe-team-csmmu

 

To start.

 


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#73 of 104 Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
 
Delicateflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Scarlet fever is strep. The incidence is still just as high, the bacteria just causes a more mild disease than it used to.

 

The incidence of measles in the third world is currently plummeting, due to a huge push for vaccines, not because of any increase in hygiene.

Delicateflower is offline  
#74 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Neither of these articles have anything to do with what i was talking about.  they are both about how the people (in India and Pakistan) who administer the vaxes don't actually know how to administer them or to store them.  that doesn't say anything about the vaccines themselves. its says that in India and Pakistan they need to do a better job training their workers.
 

 

raelize is offline  
#75 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post



Neither of these articles have anything to do with what i was talking about.  they are both about how the people (in India and Pakistan) who administer the vaxes don't actually know how to administer them or to store them.  that doesn't say anything about the vaccines themselves. its says that in India and Pakistan they need to do a better job training their workers.
 

 


headscratch.gif

 

Because that kind of thing could NEVER happen in the perfect U.S.?

 

You talk about VAERS as an unreliable tool, but it's the only one we have.  However, the vaccine product inserts include the information about potential reactions, up to and including death.

 

When I read stories from other mothers about their children's severe and life-changing vaccine reactions, I listen and have no reason to doubt them.  Yes, children are getting injured by vaccines.  Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't happening.  The U.S. has paid out BILLIONS of dollars in vaccine injury compensation, and that represents but a tiny fraction of the actual cases.

 

BeckyBird and happyhippie like this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#76 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post




headscratch.gif

 

Because that kind of thing could NEVER happen in the perfect U.S.?

 

You talk about VAERS as an unreliable tool, but it's the only one we have.  However, the vaccine product inserts include the information about potential reactions, up to and including death.

 

When I read stories from other mothers about their children's severe and life-changing vaccine reactions, I listen and have no reason to doubt them.  Yes, children are getting injured by vaccines.  Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't happening.  The U.S. has paid out BILLIONS of dollars in vaccine injury compensation, and that represents but a tiny fraction of the actual cases.

 


i never said that it couldn't happen in the US.  that wasn't my point of my post. you haven't answered that about the differences of rates of infection of VPD in third world countries. and i feel horrible for parents who have kids who have illnesses and disabilities. i have been in the ER with my own child when the doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong with them. i understand that. but, unfortunately, the plural of anecdotes does not equal data.  science is a great tool, and it is the only one we have.

 

raelize is offline  
#77 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
 
ambivamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:

Well, you caught me.  Sarah and Amy are not real children; I made them both up.

 

 

SO, there are four pages of discussion based on a post by a person who just joined MDC and posts a story that is a lie?

 

I haven't been paying much attention here lately and I am hearing that things have been different.  Is this the kind of crap that is happening?  Is this ok?  Doesn't this piss anybody off?
 

 

ambivamom is offline  
#78 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
 
pers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivamom View Post

 

SO, there are four pages of discussion based on a post by a person who just joined MDC and posts a story that is a lie?

 

I haven't been paying much attention here lately and I am hearing that things have been different.  Is this the kind of crap that is happening?  Is this ok?  Doesn't this piss anybody off?

 

 

No, go back and read posts 33, 34, and 35 of this thread again. I'm the one who made Sarah and Amy up, not the OP, and I introduced them as follows: "Another example: Let's say there are two best friends Sarah and Amy."  They were part of an explanation of how herd immunity works, and were not intended to be proof that it actually does.  For that we'd need real world numbers rather than fictional children, but looking at vaccine and measles rates and their ups and downs over time in many countries provides plenty of evidence that it does for measles at least.  Another poster complained that my fictional children did not provide proof that vaccines could create herd immunity, and the "you caught" me bit you quoted was my admittedly somewhat snotty response to her.  All good now?
 

 

pers is offline  
#79 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
 
beckybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Shattered Paradigm
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Lol Pers, I was just about to make a post in your defense (for once!)....ya beat me to it!  Even though we disagree about vaxxes, I want to support what I feel is right, and you were only making up children to demonstrate your point, not to fool anybody.


 
 
 "Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport
 
 
 
beckybird is online now  
#80 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 PM
 
pers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

 

I thought this was an interesting and relevant paper.

 

http://www.ppge.ufrgs.br/giacomo/arquivos/eco02072/mckinlay-mckinlay-1977.pdf
 

 


It is interesting, and I agree with some points - improved living conditions and food availability and such made a huge difference in mortality, and the decline in the death rate for measles for instance as a result of improved conditions and other factors dwarfs the decline due to the vaccine.  Not that that makes the vaccine pointless, while tens or hundreds of thousands wouldn't die each year of measles as they would if everyone in our huge population had them at some point, as was the norm before the vaccine, but measles still had the same death rate as it did a hundred years ago or so, but a few thousand or so could still be expected to die, and that's well enough to try to prevent.  And that's just considering death, not to mention the many other possible complications, or even the single mom who takes too much time off to care for a sick child and looses her job, putting her family on the street...

 

But overall, I have to say the paper seems quite poorly done.  The conclusion is that "medical measures [...] appear to have contributed little to the overall decline in mortality in the united states since about 1900," but the paper only looked at ten infectious diseases, though granted those diseases were major killers a hundred years or so ago.  Also, only one medical measure is considered for disease.  For instance, it evaluates the impact of medicine on diptheria mortality by comparing the decline in mortality before and after "toxoid, 1930," but the first toxoid was invented in the late 1800s, and, while far more dangerous than the modern one, was used in the US from the early 1900s, and the first diptheria vaccine was invented in 1914.  Also for polio only mentions the vaccine as a medical measure, so compares the mortality decline before and after the first vaccine came into widespread use.  It neglects to consider that very likely nearly all of the people stuck in iron lungs in hospitals because they couldn't breath on their own would have contributed to the death statistics had the iron lung not been invented in the late '20s.  

 

Rather than showing the importance of other factors such as nutrition, it just seems designed to make medicine come off looking as bad as possible.  

pers is offline  
#81 of 104 Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 PM
 
pers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Lol Pers, I was just about to make a post in your defense (for once!)....ya beat me to it!  Even though we disagree about vaxxes, I want to support what I feel is right, and you were only making up children to demonstrate your point, not to fool anybody.


Awww, thanks :)

 

pers is offline  
#82 of 104 Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post




It is interesting, and I agree with some points - improved living conditions and food availability and such made a huge difference in mortality, and the decline in the death rate for measles for instance as a result of improved conditions and other factors dwarfs the decline due to the vaccine.  Not that that makes the vaccine pointless, while tens or hundreds of thousands wouldn't die each year of measles as they would if everyone in our huge population had them at some point, as was the norm before the vaccine, but measles still had the same death rate as it did a hundred years ago or so, but a few thousand or so could still be expected to die, and that's well enough to try to prevent.  And that's just considering death, not to mention the many other possible complications, or even the single mom who takes too much time off to care for a sick child and looses her job, putting her family on the street...

 

But overall, I have to say the paper seems quite poorly done.  The conclusion is that "medical measures [...] appear to have contributed little to the overall decline in mortality in the united states since about 1900," but the paper only looked at ten infectious diseases, though granted those diseases were major killers a hundred years or so ago.  Also, only one medical measure is considered for disease.  For instance, it evaluates the impact of medicine on diptheria mortality by comparing the decline in mortality before and after "toxoid, 1930," but the first toxoid was invented in the late 1800s, and, while far more dangerous than the modern one, was used in the US from the early 1900s, and the first diptheria vaccine was invented in 1914.  Also for polio only mentions the vaccine as a medical measure, so compares the mortality decline before and after the first vaccine came into widespread use.  It neglects to consider that very likely nearly all of the people stuck in iron lungs in hospitals because they couldn't breath on their own would have contributed to the death statistics had the iron lung not been invented in the late '20s.  

 

Rather than showing the importance of other factors such as nutrition, it just seems designed to make medicine come off looking as bad as possible.  


I appreciate the notion that ANY deaths from measles should be prevented, or any death from any disease for that matter. This will only be meaninful if you share the view that the vaccine for that disease (say the MMR) is by and large safe. If you believe that a serious reaction really is 1 in a million than of course the risk/benefit analysis will result in you vaccinating with the MMR. However if one does not share this belief, perhaps because they have a child that was damaged (or they believe they were damaged) by this vaccine and do not want to get it for a subsequent child, than the issues is not so cut and dry IMO.

 


 

 

Bokonon likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#83 of 104 Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
 
pers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post


I appreciate the notion that ANY deaths from measles should be prevented, or any death from any disease for that matter. This will only be meaninful if you share the view that the vaccine for that disease (say the MMR) is by and large safe. If you believe that a serious reaction really is 1 in a million than of course the risk/benefit analysis will result in you vaccinating with the MMR. However if one does not share this belief, perhaps because they have a child that was damaged (or they believe they were damaged) by this vaccine and do not want to get it for a subsequent child, than the issues is not so cut and dry IMO.


I do understand that, and I am sympathetic.  I have heard stories - grapevine friend of a friend of a friend stuff, or from random internet strangers, so not exactly personal or reliable - that have been enough to give me pause. 

 

But humans are hardwired to make connections between two uncommon events that happen together or one after another.  It's how first learn not to pull the cat's tail (yanking that handy handle is followed immediately by sharp claws) and all sorts of things.  It keeps us safe in many instances.  But this instinct can make it easy to leap to all sorts of false relationships, as evidenced by many bizarre superstitions and old wives tales.  

 

I do not blame any parent who has experienced their child having serious health problems that they attribute to vaccine damage for being hesitant to vaccinate again or choosing just not to, nor do I blame those close to them who have watched them through it.  But that sort of emotionally driven assumption of cause and effect has little to no place in scientific papers and articles.  

 

raelize likes this.
pers is offline  
#84 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@ miriam

 

I believe you might have misunderstood the implications of the example that pers used to illustrate the workings of herd immunity. The example pers used is NOT an anecdote but a mathematical model. And while you are right in that anecdotes can illustrate a point but do nat actually prove much, mathematical models actually DO carry scientific significance and are widely used in scientific decision making processes and calculations.


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
#85 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@ Marnica
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane93 View Post

No -- we are talking about the same thing.  The vax discussion should not occur in an echo chamber of first world privilege alone.

 

Please describe the unforeseen and undesirable consequences of the eradication of smallpox?


It's been a while since tetanus vaxinations started and as far as I've been able to tell, so far, there have been no "unforeseen and undesirable consequences" to that. There HAS been a noticeable decline of people dying from tetanus though, which I, personally, am very happy about.


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
#86 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

I am glad that you know how. You missed my point entirely.

 

Most parents do NOT even know there is a reporting system for vaccine reactions.  


Hmm....independent of whether parents vax their child or not, BOTH groups of parents usually make that decision in an effort to protect their child and ensure that it stays healthy.

A lot of BOTH groups of parents research issues that pertain to their kids saftey and health, even if they differ in the conclusions they draw from the evidence presented to them, since they want to make sure they are making the right decision.

 

As Jugs pointed out, any parent vaccinating their child WILL be presented with information on how to spot a possible reaction to the vaccine and where and how to report such a reaction to VAERS (".....page 2 of the Vaccine Information Statement (handed out with each vaccination)), so if the parent of a vaccinated child is unaware of VAERS, then consequently, this is due to the parent ignoring the information he was given. In this case, it is the parent in question who is responsible for his / her ignorance. The medical professionals carrying out the vaccination DO pass out the information about VAERS and thus are fulfilling their responsibility.

 


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
#87 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

...

How do you know the vaccine has saved lives?  Have you been to Africa?  Are you taking someone's word for it?  Whose?  How do you know that better sanitation, irrigation and nutrition did not help?  So the solution to disease is to pump starving, malnourished bodies with vaccines?  That will work!


I've been to Africa and I've seen a kid die from Tetanus. It wasn't pretty. I've also seen a lady here in Germany contact tetanus and she nearly died. (Apparently she contracted it while tending here rose garden. Type in "tetanus" and "gardening" and watch what comes up for more info. One example is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/05/24/tetanus-vaccine-garden.html    Kids play outside, in the dirt, so sanitation and nutrition don't help protecting them from tetanus).

 

Tetanus, once contracted, has a mortality rate of about 50 %, even with treatment, so if a kid is infected, there's a 50 % chance it will die.

 


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
#88 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@ OP

 

Having a natural immunity to measels IS a huge benefit. I had measels myself and I'm happy that there's no chance I'll get it again.

In hind-sight though, I'm awfully relieved that I didn't get SSPE (subacute sclerosing panencephalitis) a few years down the road, otherwise I'd have missed out on a lot of stuff, like my DH and DD.It's a rare complication....but a nasty, slow way to die. As I said, it's rare.....but "rare" doesn't mean much, when you or someone you love is affected.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter, that she won't develop SSPE either. thumb.gif

 

 

 

SSPE definition: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002392/


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
#89 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM
 
clockworkhobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son had measles at 12 months, before we could even decide on the issue of to vax or not! It was just one of those things, and more common here in France. Our doctor is unique in that she never vaccinated her own children so she didn't get freaked out about the issue or blame us, but I was scared!

 

I asked her what the rash was and she said is was "missiles." "Missiles?" I said and she got frustrated (English isn't her first language, nor should it be). I asked her to point out the word for me so I could check later on the internet--I thought it was just a funny name for some kind of common rash. When I saw her finger go to the word I said, "He has the MEASLES?!" And then she hurried us out of the office after saying we had to just wait it out. So we did, no biggie, he was fine after a few days.

 

Anyway, once everything cooled down we could think about things better. We decided on just doing selective vaxing for the biggies.

clockworkhobbsy is offline  
#90 of 104 Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Kanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkhobbsy View Post

My son had measles at 12 months, before we could even decide on the issue of to vax or not! It was just one of those things, and more common here in France. Our doctor is unique in that she never vaccinated her own children so she didn't get freaked out about the issue or blame us, but I was scared!

 

I asked her what the rash was and she said is was "missiles." "Missiles?" I said and she got frustrated (English isn't her first language, nor should it be). I asked her to point out the word for me so I could check later on the internet--I thought it was just a funny name for some kind of common rash. When I saw her finger go to the word I said, "He has the MEASLES?!" And then she hurried us out of the office after saying we had to just wait it out. So we did, no biggie, he was fine after a few days.

 

Anyway, once everything cooled down we could think about things better. We decided on just doing selective vaxing for the biggies.


That's one of the reasons I decided to vaccinate.

 

I would have been horrified if I had let my kid go unvaccinated, it would have caught measels....and then infected another kid too young to be vaccinated.

 

I would have been DEVASTATED if my kid had gone unvaccinated, would have caught measels, infected another kid too young to be vaccinated....which then had developed one of the serious complications of a measels infection:

 

- Pneumonia

- Encephalitis (can lead to deafness or mental retardation)

- SSPE (subacute sclerosing panencephalitis)

- death

 

Or if my kid would have infected an expecting mom with measels, causing her to miscarry.

 

I have nightmares horrors.gifabout that kind of thing happening, especially since it's so hard to recognize measels and quarantine the kid appropriately before the rash breaks out.

 

I'm really, really happy that none of these things happened to your baby-boy and I hope they identified "patient zero" and got him / her quarantined before the infection could spread to others.....

 

( for more information, see here: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html )

 


fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Kanna is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vaccinations , Mmr , Measles , Live Virus , Shed

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off