what's a good family health book for the non-vaxing family? - Mothering Forums
Vaccinations > what's a good family health book for the non-vaxing family?
xmasbaby7's Avatar xmasbaby7 10:48 AM 01-26-2011

Another thread got me thinking. Do you all have a current, in print book that addresses how to care for family with measles, mumps, pox, etc?

My grandmother has this basic family health guide from 1981 and it is so much better than the current books published by merck that exonerate all vaccines and drugs from any wrong-doing.

I wonder if I have to find really old books at a used bookstore or if one exists that fits our needs.

Thanks!

Mama Lo's Avatar Mama Lo 11:11 AM 01-26-2011

Dr Lauren Feder- Natural Baby and Childcare

Great book to read and then use as a reference for all kinds of illness's.  For each illness she goes over conventional treatment, homeopathic remedies and natural rememdies.  I use the heck out of this book for my family.

peainthepod's Avatar peainthepod 12:15 PM 01-26-2011
We are a vaccine-free family. My favorite go-to health books are, in no particular order:

Naturally Healthy Babies and Children by Aviva Jill Romm - focuses on natural and herbal remedies, as well as general preventative wellness

How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert Mendelsohn, M.D. - an oldy but a goody, this book will walk you through everything from ear infections to head injuries to most of the vaccine-available diseases

Take Charge of Your Child's Health by George Wootan, M.D. and Sarah Verney - this book is sadly out of print, but you can find it via used vendors. It's worth its weight in gold--lots of no-nonsense, easy to understand advice about common children's ailments and when to seek medical assistance
Nicoleandco's Avatar Nicoleandco 10:10 AM 01-27-2011

Yes to all of these.  The book by Aviva Jill Romm is very good and easy to read.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

We are a vaccine-free family. My favorite go-to health books are, in no particular order:

Naturally Healthy Babies and Children by Aviva Jill Romm - focuses on natural and herbal remedies, as well as general preventative wellness

How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert Mendelsohn, M.D. - an oldy but a goody, this book will walk you through everything from ear infections to head injuries to most of the vaccine-available diseases

Take Charge of Your Child's Health by George Wootan, M.D. and Sarah Verney - this book is sadly out of print, but you can find it via used vendors. It's worth its weight in gold--lots of no-nonsense, easy to understand advice about common children's ailments and when to seek medical assistance

Ethelpea's Avatar Ethelpea 11:32 AM 01-28-2011

I got a copy of "Take Charge of Your Child's Health" on Abebooks dot com for about $4.  There seemed to be a lot of copies available.

Up