Comparing vax schedules in U.S. vs other countries - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I saw a post on another board about Iceland's vax schedule being a 3 mo - 5 mo - 12 mo for DTaP, Hib, and Prevnar.  Looking into it further, several countries use that schedule, and it is used by several of the countries who rank much better than the U.S. in infant mortality rate.  I know there is much more to the infant mortality rate issue, so I'm not saying their vax schedule is why their infant mortality is lower than ours.  I am saying, they are giving one less dose of those vaxs, and not having excess infant deaths (as reflected in their infant mortality rate), does the 3 dose schedule work as well as the 4 dose U.S. schedule?  (I know DTaP has boosters, I'm mainly concerned with the effectiveness of the infant series). Why the difference in schedules?

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#2 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

US children are the most heavily vaccinated in the world

The schedule is nothing more than politics IMO.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Actually the German schedule is even crazier than the US one. It has one more MMR and a meningococcal C vaccine, plus they use Hexavac (DTaP, IPV, HepB, HiB).... HepA is only recommended, but my sister does it. Flu it says only for kids with chronic illnesses, but my sister does it and her ped gives it to every child too.

They do:

2 months Hexavac, Prevnar, Rotavirus

3 months Hexavac, Prevnar, Rotavirus (and third dose later if Rotateq is used)

4 months Hexavac, Prevnar

7 months and older flu (2 initial doses 4 weeks apart, then yearly)

11-14 months Hexavac, Prevnar, meningococcal C, MMR, varicella

15-23 months MMR, varicella

5-6 years DTaP, IPV, MMR boosters

9 years and older: HPV

And then teenie vaccines (TdaP, Menactra) and specific area vaccines (FSME, which is tickborne encephalitis in some forresty areas of Europe).

Now there is no mandatory vaccine law, so people do what they want, but if you follow the schedule that's what you get. Crazy, I know.

#4 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM

This link to the WHO site has schedules for all the member states (you have to do some clicking around to see the actual schedule. Very interesting to see that as PP mentioned, the U.S. by far has the one of the most aggresive schedules: http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/en/globalsummary/scheduleselect.cfm

In Japan (where I was born, I live in the U.S.now),  I believe the schedule has 5 or so shots in the first year (polio, BCG and DTaP x 3) and about the same amount between 1-2 years. My friend whose baby was born in the U.S. then moved to Japan after age 1 was shocked because her baby was sadly so "ahead" of the vaccination schedule in Japan and was told no shots were needed for a long while.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#5 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM

I was looking at the schedule for Vietnam, and there are some that are not even on their schedule, like Prevnar, Hib, but then they have BCG and Typhoid added. Overall though, there are less, and they only do Measles, not MMR. It's kind of interesting comparing schedules.

#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM

It has to do with that particular country's level of disease (for example in canada Hep A is not routine, it is a travel vaccine, but other countries with high rates might use it. BCG is not used), and what vaccines are liscensed in that country, and what countries want  to fund. In canada the federal governemnt will make their recommendations but each province will fund or not fund it according to there own choice, so you will have different schedules in each province, different parameters on who gets what, and where they want to fit it into their already exsisting schedule. One province you get second dose MMR at 18 months, another at the 4-6 yr booster. one province might fund flu for anyone who wants it, another province might fund only for certain high risk groups, one province will do hep b in infancy , another will do it in grade school. is the schedule the same in every state in the US?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page