I am beyond ticked - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just scheduled a well child visit for my ds b/c he does attend parents day out one day a week and they need his records for the vaxes.  The receptionists made a comment about him needing 2 vaccines before kindergarten.  I mentioned that he was going to be homeschooled so we didn't need to worry about the vaxes.  I did ask out of curiosity what vaxes would he get if he were to get them.  She said MMR and the second chicken pox.  I said that he shouldn't need the chicken pox since he never got the 1st one.  She said that the computer says he got the 1st one in 2006 along with the 1st MMR.  I told her I distinctly remember saying NO to the chicken pox.  She said she would look in his actual records.  She did say then he did get the first chicken pox along with the MMR.  She said it was combined.

I AM LIVID. censored.gif irked.gif  They went against my wishes.  I even remember signing papers saying no to certain vaxes.

The office manager and the our current ped is going to talk with me on Friday when I take the twins in for their 2yr visit.  I am hoping that it someone wrote it down wrong in the file. 

We have been through 3 peds at this office.  The first moved out of state, the 2nd became head of some dept in the hospital and now we are on our 3rd.  I have been wanting to check out another ped office closer to home whom I have heard great things about but I need to find out what their views are on delay and select vaxes and how they treat me as a mom making those decisions for my kids.  This may be the time to leave this office.

Update: I did not get to speak with the office manager today.  I was informed that she went out of state today to visit her grandkids.  She has a note on her desk from our doc and she is going to call sometime on Monday.

I did talk with our doc about what might have happened and b/c she wasn't our ped at the time, she can't really say. 

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#2 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM

My youngest was given a flu shot without my consent along with the other ones I did consent for.  So I can relate, so frustrating!  We're not vaccinating at all anymore, but if I still were I would be asking a lot more questions before each shot to make sure it's what I consented for.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thats the thing, I always made sure I knew exactly what vax he was getting.  The dr and I always talked about it in length.  For this to be slipped by me is ridiculous.

It's been much easier with the twins b/c we delayed and select vax with them so they never got more than 2 at a visit.  Then we held off this whole past year b/c of them reacting so badly to the vax.

Any vax the twins get, I will double check with the dr and then before the shots, I will double check with the nurse.

I may be taking my kids else where.  A friend mentioned about a dr that I have been considering and she loves him.  I will be making an appt to interview this dr.

#4 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Have them bring in the vax insert from any vaccine they are being given. Read it carefully before consenting.

#5 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 AM

While we don't vax now, when we used to, before any shots were given, we had to sign a paper/form that listed exactly what the shots would be..........and that paper stayed in the charts...see if you have any form like that..........the paper copy, not the computer copy.....the computer could be wrong..........

a horror story.....the last ped we went to, I overheard the nurse telling another nurse how they accidently gave the flu shot to the wrong kid.............(both kids had the same first name)---so just be observant

broc1.gif
#6 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to ask/demand to see his actual paper file.  I want to know what happened.  When the twins were younger, I know I signed papers stating I didn't want them receiving certain vaxes.  I know I signed some for Nate too but I could be wrong.

#7 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 AM

That's crazy. Anytime my kids have had a vax, I have been asked to sign a page that lists exactly what the vax is, and lists the serial number or whatever it is, from the vial, and I've been asked to check that the vial they're using is indeed the number listed on the page. I've also had to sign a form stating that I feel that I've been given adequate information about the vax-- for each and every vax. It's all one page, and they pull it out whenever we get a vax, so the record is all in one place. I guess I always assumed that's how it was done-- everybody there has always been so insistent about how important it is.

I'm hoping for your sake that this was just a record that was mistakenly entered into the computer. I would be beyond furious, and threatening lawsuit, if I thought my kids had been given a vax that I hadn't explicitly consented for.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM

I would demand hard copies of all my children's records, and depending on what I found in them, would be consulting with a good malpractice attorney.

So sorry, mama. That has to be absolutely enraging. hug.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#9 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM

In the future, besides reviewing the vax insert, have them prep the syringes in your presence so that you can read the label on the actual bottles they are drawing from and make sure they are exactly and only what you are asking for.  That way you can catch if they are using a combo vax instead of the single vax you wanted.

#10 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Problem is, the OP and everyone else in a similar situation is not likely to have grounds for malpractice.

She has to show harm. Good luck doing that, since apparently people can't even convince the courts of wrongful deaths and serious injury due to vaccines.

They are going to look at it like it was a minor overlook in the paperwork, and that's it. Oh, and "thank goodness they applied the standard of care since the mother apparently was one of those nutcases."

OP, I feel enraged on your behalf. I don't think you will have much luck with a suit, but I do think that expressing your anger (in a professional way, so the validity of your anger is clear) may be part of a changing tide. If medical practices start noticing that people actually are upset when vaccines are given against their wishes, they will start changing - if not because they actually care, but at least so they aren't the target of the FIRST lawsuit that actually goes against them. Probably the practices will look even more closely at "compliance" and "fire" the non-complying patients (rather than risk this kind of trouble, in addition to losing their little bonuses and such for compliance). But accepting practices will open up and win our business, hopefully enough that we actually all have choices again.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They tried to do this with me and I caught them and stopped the nurse just before she injected it. I would not have caught her, but she had little sticky notes on the shots labeling them.

I would be livid too!

I would only allow 1 shot per visit. Not only does that reduce the amount of chemicals going at once, but you can see that there is just one shot.

((((hugs))))

#12 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM

The might have only had the MMRV and just gave it.  No thought involved.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#13 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM

If they try to tell you that he really did not get the chickenpox vaccine, get him tested to see if he has any immunity.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#14 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Problem is, the OP and everyone else in a similar situation is not likely to have grounds for malpractice.

She has to show harm. Good luck doing that, since apparently people can't even convince the courts of wrongful deaths and serious injury due to vaccines.

They are going to look at it like it was a minor overlook in the paperwork, and that's it. Oh, and "thank goodness they applied the standard of care since the mother apparently was one of those nutcases."

OP, I feel enraged on your behalf. I don't think you will have much luck with a suit, but I do think that expressing your anger (in a professional way, so the validity of your anger is clear) may be part of a changing tide. If medical practices start noticing that people actually are upset when vaccines are given against their wishes, they will start changing - if not because they actually care, but at least so they aren't the target of the FIRST lawsuit that actually goes against them. Probably the practices will look even more closely at "compliance" and "fire" the non-complying patients (rather than risk this kind of trouble, in addition to losing their little bonuses and such for compliance). But accepting practices will open up and win our business, hopefully enough that we actually all have choices again.

Thank you.  I do intend to go at this problem professionally.  I will keep all emotions out of it.  I pretty much figured I wouldn't be able to do anything legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

They tried to do this with me and I caught them and stopped the nurse just before she injected it. I would not have caught her, but she had little sticky notes on the shots labeling them.

I would be livid too!

I would only allow 1 shot per visit. Not only does that reduce the amount of chemicals going at once, but you can see that there is just one shot.

((((hugs))))

See thats the thing, I didn't think about getting him only 1 shot per visit.  I knew I could decline vaxes which I did with the chicken pox and the flu.  I wish I could back up time and redo my oldest vaxes and do them the right way, if thats even doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post

The might have only had the MMRV and just gave it.  No thought involved.

I did not know that was available.  Makes me even more mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

If they try to tell you that he really did not get the chickenpox vaccine, get him tested to see if he has any immunity.

Good thought, thank you!  I will take that into consideration!

#15 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM

it's also possible that he didn't get it.

a nurse wrote down what she though my ds was going to get in his chart only to find out that they were out of one of the vaxes. the next time i went in i asked about and the nurse was like, no, he got that one.

so, it's possible that someone wrote down what they thought your kiddo was going to get only to have you say no to the cp and no one ever corrected the chart. 

eh. who needs a signature?
#16 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Food for thought: I keep reading about single vaxs........has something new come on the market? When I tried to find the MMR as individual shots about 5 years ago, the manufacturer said that they no longer made them that way............. or when you say sep vaxs, do you mean MMR sep from chickenpox? Just curious. And yes you would have a legal stance if you had filled out some sort of religious exemption or medical exemption............that the office had on file..............it would have more weight if it was a religious exemption though........good luck

broc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page