Deciding about HIB vaccine - have I missed anything? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background: I'm researching each disease/vax one by one in the order they appear on the CDC schedule. I'm on HIB, so obviously its slow going, redface.gif but LO won't be here until summer, so we have some time. I'd like to bounce my research/ideas off of the awesome inquiring minds on this board, both non-vaxers and delayed/selective vaxers. Okay, so here goes...

In addition to the basics of the disease and the contents of the vaxes, I looked at three issues particular to HIB: 1) Effectiveness: evidence points to a high degree of effectiveness against the type B strand 2) A possible link to type I diabetes: the literature definitely does NOT support any link between the vax and diabetes as was once feared; and 3) Serotype replacement: The literature  confirms this is a serious issue on the population level. However, serotype replacement effects all children, not just vaxed ones. And there still is a very small risk of HIB, even though it has been significantly reduced since the 80s. 

Those are my basic findings... now here are my questions:

1. Have I missed anything major?

2. The vaccine has made HIB quite rare. Do you consider this a reason to not get this vax? In other words, would you knowingly rely on herd immunity? Does this feel wrong to anyone (i.e. allowing other children to take on risk so that yours can reap the benefit of less risk of disease? no judgement, just trying to think this one out)

3. If we do ultimately decide to get this vax, I would want ActHIB reactivated with saline. Does anyone disagree with this choice? How has your experience been with requesting this (or any) particular brand from your Ped?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide! This board has already been an incredibly helpful source for me. I am indebted to many of you!

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
2. The vaccine has made HIB quite rare. Do you consider this a reason to not get this vax? In other words, would you knowingly rely on herd immunity? Does this feel wrong to anyone (i.e. allowing other children to take on risk so that yours can reap the benefit of less risk of disease? no judgement, just trying to think this one out)

Yes, I consider the rareness of Hib a good reason not to vax against it in this one case. It's almost eradicated in the US, and even when it was endemic, it was rare that colonization led to invasive disease.I don't really think of this as mooching off of herd immunity. Even if Hib was still endemic, I'd only get the vax if my baby was at special risk. I think vaxes that come with "serotype replacement" and similar problems should only be used selectively.

I *do* vax against measles because of herd immunity, but measles doesn't have serotype replacement issues like Hib, so the morality is different there.

And no, I don't think you've missed anything. The entire (valid) argument against the Hib vax is about replacement and herd immunity.If you're breastfeeding, read up on breastfeeding and Hib, too.

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/invasive-bacterial-infections-and-breastfeeding/

#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post

I *do* vax against measles because of herd immunity, but measles doesn't have serotype replacement issues like Hib, so the morality is different there.

I think I've seen one South American report of Hia moving in on Hib's territory, but that's it. Has it really been doing a pneumococcal routine?

#4 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mama Kay, thanks for your thoughts and the link on breastfeeding and HIB. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto View Post

think I've seen one South American report of Hia moving in on Hib's territory, but that's it. Has it really been doing a pneumococcal routine?

Great question. I'd love to have the serotype replacement issue better "quantified" for me. 

#5 of 6 Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post

I think I've seen one South American report of Hia moving in on Hib's territory, but that's it. Has it really been doing a pneumococcal routine?

The type that primarily replaces Hib is NTHi (aka, non-typeable h influenzae). NTHI isn't an actual serotype, so it's not technically "serotype replacement", but it's essentially the same thing.

ETA:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/2008/02/11/sisyphus-and-the-conjugate-vaccines-ii/

#6 of 6 Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, interesting. So yes it looks like Haemophilus cases are back up, maybe not quite to pre-vaccine levels (hard to say since the data doesn't go back that far) but there is definitely a significant replacement effect: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/G/cases&deaths.PDF

I really thought I'd want to get the HIB vaccine, but I'm just not seeing a reason to. Anybody want to talk me into it???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page