Opposing vaccines in the 1930's - The message was the same then as now. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is the address of William Howard Hay, MD. A doctor that spoke out against vaccines in the 1930's. Some parts jumped out since it seems not much has changed in 70 years.

He also points out that the smallpox vaccine did not eradicate smallpox. Anybody that does a little digging on SP history knows that the vaccine created more death and disease than it prevented, yet the myth that it saved us is perpetuated - makes me CRAZY!

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2009/05/22/address-of-william-howard-hay-md/

Quote:
 Now we are asking in many States to have the privilege of deciding whether we will be vaccinated or not. No one wishes to deny his brother the privilege of being vaccinated if he has any faith in it, but here is the ridiculous thin g about it: The ones who are objecting to abolishing the law and who are insisting on vaccination are the ones who are afraid that they will take smallpox if their brothers are not vaccinated. Now if you are vaccinated, you are protected, aren’t you? What are you afraid of?

Quote:
 If we could by any means build up a natural resistance to disease through these artificial means, I would applaud it to the echo, but we can’t do it. The body has its own methods of defense. These depend on the vitality of the body at the time. If it is vital enough, it will resist all infections; if it isn’t vital enough, It won’t, and you can’t change the vitality of the body for the better by introducing poison of any kind into it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#2 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this. I've been enjoying all of your posts! I think it's really helpful to have a historical perspective, because you realize that it's not just YOU, just US, just NOW. All of these things have been visited before. Also, where is The Medical Freedom Society now? I didn't get any promising looking hits on Google, but we sure could use it now!

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin
#3 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Anybody that does a little digging on SP history knows that the vaccine created more death and disease than it prevented, yet the myth that it saved us is perpetuated - makes me CRAZY!

Do you have a source on that?

#4 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

http://preventdisease.com/news/10/102510_vaccines_did_not_save_us.shtml#Smallp_UK_US_Swed

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM

Is the argument, then, that smallpox just randomly disappeared in the 1970s, and it was just a coincidence that there was a global campaign to eradicate it through targeted vaccinations during that time period?  If so, I'd be interested to hear why you think that this source supports that assertion.  Because I sure don't see it.

#6 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

yes and no

What I have is the research I've done by hitting the history books. All my stuff on SP is at home and honestly I come on MDC when Im at work and things are slow. When I'm at home I have no time to go on the computer, There is no 1 link or 1 website I can link to. Ill see If I can russle up some stuff from home when I have a fee minute and post back.

From what I can recall from my reading, Smallpox vaccination caused some of the worst outbreaks in history and more vaccinated people died of smallpox then unvaccinated people. Areas  where the vaccine was not compulsory, but where they opted to quarnatine had the lowest numbers of infected people and the lowest rates of mortality from the disease whereas those areas that had compulsory vaccination had the higest levels of morbidity and mortality.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

This is the address of William Howard Hay, MD. A doctor that spoke out against vaccines in the 1930's. Some parts jumped out since it seems not much has changed in 70 years.

He also points out that the smallpox vaccine did not eradicate smallpox. Anybody that does a little digging on SP history knows that the vaccine created more death and disease than it prevented, yet the myth that it saved us is perpetuated - makes me CRAZY!

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2009/05/22/address-of-william-howard-hay-md/

Wow.  The more I learn, the more I am just flabbergasted!

#8 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 PM

That was an incredible piece. Thank you for sharing. You would think we would be in a better position after all these years. It is sad.  I wonder where we are going to be in 70 years? enlightened society who views these vaccines as outdated medicine?(the optimist in me) or 500 vaccines by then?! (the pessimist in me)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#9 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:

From what I can recall from my reading, Smallpox vaccination caused some of the worst outbreaks in history and more vaccinated people died of smallpox then unvaccinated people. Areas where the vaccine was not compulsory, but where they opted to quarnatine had the lowest numbers of infected people and the lowest rates of mortality from the disease whereas those areas that had compulsory vaccination had the higest levels of morbidity and mortality.

A time frame would certainly help. It is about a 200-year history.

#10 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:

From what I can recall from my reading, Smallpox vaccination caused some of the worst outbreaks in history and more vaccinated people died of smallpox then unvaccinated people. Areas  where the vaccine was not compulsory, but where they opted to quarnatine had the lowest numbers of infected people and the lowest rates of mortality from the disease whereas those areas that had compulsory vaccination had the higest levels of morbidity and mortality.

The smallpox vaccine can not cause smallpox.  It is not made from smallpox. 

Smallpox vaccine is a live virus vaccine, but it is made from a virus called vaccinia which is a relative of smallpox.   Vaccinia can be spread to others, and it can sometimes cause serious complications or, very rarely, death (about one per million cases), especially in those with compromised immune systems.  But it is typically a very mild disease, and it is not smallpox.  

#11 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

The smallpox vaccine can not cause smallpox.  It is not made from smallpox. 

Smallpox vaccine is a live virus vaccine, but it is made from a virus called vaccinia which is a relative of smallpox.   Vaccinia can be spread to others, and it can sometimes cause serious complications or, very rarely, death (about one per million cases), especially in those with compromised immune systems.  But it is typically a very mild disease, and it is not smallpox.  

Huh.  What was it made from in the 1800s, when vaccination was mandatory and tens of thousands of people in England died of smallpox?

http://www.vaclib.org/legal/MTstate/smallpox.pdf

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#12 of 15 Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Huh.  What was it made from in the 1800s, when vaccination was mandatory and tens of thousands of people in England died of smallpox?

The Jenner vaccine was an inoculation with cowpox. I don't know how long it took for variolation to die out, offhand.

#13 of 15 Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Yes, Marnica, the message remains the same.  Little has changed.  The same with natural/medicalized childbirth, but that is another forum.

There had been a global campaign to eradicate smallpox for centuries.  The Chinese used a form of dried postule contents and sniffed it in centuries ago.    

If smallpox were to be eradicated in this method, or by the new fangled medical method of scraping and then injections, why did it take so long?  

An old chiropractor told me as a child that the UN workers go in to the villages and burn the associated clothing, bedding, clean the eating utensils, initiate irrigation and teach sanitary methods to the villagers.  *THEN* everyone is queued up for the vaccinations; the credit for the success of the smallpox eradication in the village is given to the vaccine, NOT the sanitary conditions.  

It was the sanitation practices of the twentieth century that finally eradicated smallpox.  We should give the credit to our trash collectors and plumbers, not doctors.

#14 of 15 Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

It was the sanitation practices of the twentieth century that finally eradicated smallpox.  We should give the credit to our trash collectors and plumbers, not doctors.

In the Horn of Africa, in the 1970s, where the "Peepoo" is even now taken to be a practical advance? For a disease spread primarily face-to-face through the droplet route?

#15 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks for this! I just wish that I could explain the concept of vitality to people in a way that they would understand.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page