I do not like the term VPD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It implies diseases are preventable by vaccinating. This is not the case.  Vaccines range in effectiveness.  It seems somewhat of a pro-vaxing term.

(this is a bit of a spinoff of another thread where someone mentioned this.  I agree with her and thought it worth its own post)

How do you feel about the term VPD?

kathy

#2 of 17 Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

How do you feel about the term VPC?

What does VPC stand for?

#3 of 17 Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

VPD = vaccine preventable disease

I think it's accurate.  It does not say that in each any every person will be prevented from getting a specific disease in all cases.  It means that a disease can be prevented by a vaccine.

#4 of 17 Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Yeah, I don't like the word "preventable" in there either. I know, there will be a disagreement on here, and that's fine. Someone will say "vaccines do prevent diseases most of the time."  That's fine, because maybe they do prevent diseases most of the time. However, vaccines don't prevent diseases 100% of the time, and even when they work, the immunity often wears off. Maybe I would like the term "vaccinatable disease" (lol), meaning that there is a vaccine available for the disease in question. Leave the word "preventable" out of it, since vaccines don't always prevent!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#5 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

What does VPC stand for?

My bad.  I have corrected it - it was a typo and should have read VPD.

#6 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Yeah, I don't like the word "preventable" in there either. I know, there will be a disagreement on here, and that's fine. Someone will say "vaccines do prevent diseases most of the time."  That's fine, because maybe they do prevent diseases most of the time. However, vaccines don't prevent diseases 100% of the time, and even when they work, the immunity often wears off. Maybe I would like the term "vaccinatable disease" (lol), meaning that there is a vaccine available for the disease in question. Leave the word "preventable" out of it, since vaccines don't always prevent!

I had also thought of vaccinatable diseases - but that shortens to VD - which is funny but not goodmischievous.gif

#7 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

VPD = vaccine preventable disease

I think it's accurate.  It does not say that in each any every person will be prevented from getting a specific disease in all cases.  It means that a disease can be prevented by a vaccine.

I think you are contradicting yourself.  

Vaccinating falls under science.  In order for something to be true in science it has to be 100% accurate (or darn close to it) as far as I know.  Science-y types can weigh in if they like on this.

Vaccines are no where near 100%.  Some are very effective, and some are not (someone on another thread posted pertussis was about 75% effective).

Saying VPD is too blanket a statement for me.

I do not think it is an issue on MDC (where I genuinely believe most people, at least the ones who post here, know darn well vaccines vary in effectiveness) but I am not so sure of the general public.  Words have power.  VPD  promotes an untrue image in something that is so important. 

Has anyone heard the term VPD outside mothering?

#8 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 AM

I use the term VAD, vaccine available disease, which I have seen other people here use. I have not heard VPD or VAD outside of MDC.

#9 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I think you are contradicting yourself.  

Vaccinating falls under science.  In order for something to be true in science it has to be 100% accurate (or darn close to it) as far as I know.  Science-y types can weigh in if they like on this.

Vaccines are no where near 100%.  Some are very effective, and some are not (someone on another thread posted pertussis was about 75% effective).

Saying VPD is too blanket a statement for me.

I do not think it is an issue on MDC (where I genuinely believe most people, at least the ones who post here, know darn well vaccines vary in effectiveness) but I am not so sure of the general public.  Words have power.  VPD  promotes an untrue image in something that is so important. 

Has anyone heard the term VPD outside mothering?

The CDC has a portion of their website labeled VPD, though they list both "vaccine-preventable diseases" and "vaccine & preventable diseases". Still, I think we can safely say Mothering didn't make it up. smile.gif

And no, science never claims to have 100% accuracy or "truth"... that's kinda half the point, imo (though I admit, I'm totally a "science-y type") smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#10 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Indeed.

Quote:

Vaccinating falls under science.  

#11 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Quote:

The CDC has a portion of their website labeled VPD, though they list both "vaccine-preventable diseases" and "vaccine & preventable diseases". Still, I think we can safely say Mothering didn't make it up. smile.gif

And no, science never claims to have 100% accuracy or "truth"... that's kinda half the point, imo (though I admit, I'm totally a "science-y type") smile.gif

No, I know they don't.....which is why the term VDP bugs, me I guess.  It seems an untruth to say "vaccine preventable diseases"  when indeed, the diseases are not necessarily preventable through vaccinating.  

I do like the term Vaccine available diseases (VAD) - which seems a much more neutral statement that VPD.

#12 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

KathyMuggle,  I hadn't thought of your example, specifically.  But you're right.  The one that has always bothered me (for the same reasons that "VPD" bothers you) is "immunization."

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#13 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM

I guess the same thing could be said for a "Treatment Center" or "Diagnostics" office. They aren't able to effectively treat or diagnose everything 100% of the time. But is it misleading? No. Because that's what usually happens, therefore that's what it's known for. Same for VPDs.

Quote:

No, I know they don't.....which is why the term VDP bugs, me I guess.  It seems an untruth to say "vaccine preventable diseases"  when indeed, the diseases are not necessarily preventable through vaccinating.  

I do like the term Vaccine available diseases (VAD) - which seems a much more neutral statement that VPD.

#14 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Treatment centre is fine. Is means someone receives treatment - without anyone discussion of whether that treatment works.

VPD implies vaccines prevent diseases - which is not a wholly true claim.  Vaxes vary in effectiveness.

Indeed, if someone said "cure centre" instead of "treatment centre" that would be unacceptable - as no cure is guaranteed.  

I might be splitting hairs  - but it bugs me.

#15 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

KathyMuggle,  I hadn't thought of your example, specifically.  But you're right.  The one that has always bothered me (for the same reasons that "VPD" bothers you) is "immunization."

truedat.gif

I never use this term or "Shots" I always say "We don't vaccinate."

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#16 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM

I don't mind VPD, but then, i do vaccinate! Lol.

I don't mind it because vaccination CAN prevent disease, it just isn't guaranteed to.  Like you can get a "walking epidural" but may not, in fact, be able to walk.  I have never read VPD or VAD anywhere but here.

#17 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't like VPD or immunizations.  I use VAD or vaccines.

I also really dislike the use of possessives when it comes to vaccines.  "I took my baby for her shots today." 

purslaine likes this.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page