Do you have information about the vaccine news from Japan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am wondering, does anybody out there--especially Japanese sisters--have some details about the current Japanese vaccine situation?  They have halted Prevnar7 and Sanofi Pasteur ActHIB, and now they are recalling the ActHIB saying there is a problem with some of the lots they have been using.  Foreign substance detected in 2 syringes.  Reports on the number of babies to die in the first week of March vary from 4 to 6.  A DTP was given along with the previously mentioned shots in every case but one.  Panel said the deaths were not "directly" related, and that 3 of the babies were quite sick to start off with.  But, they still have halted immunizing with Prevnar7 and ActHIB and now the recall of the ActHIB.

I am selectively vaccinating my baby, but the Hib shot is due next week, along with a DTaP booster (2nd DTaP for us).  Feeling freaked out and worried about this...I'm sure the pediatrician will be sympathetic,  probably I can delay the Hib till more news comes out.  She (ped) is a careful vacc'er, and I assume she will know what there is to find about about this news.  However, (sadly) Japan has been struck by an earthquake so the vaccine news is now less important in the papers. 

Please sisters, if any of you have better details than what an english-speaker can find online, lay them out!

P.C.

#2 of 3 Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so you folks don't know so far...But!  I have done a little more internet snooping and found the following info:

The foreign substance in the ActHIB has been confirmed to be "aseptic", or non-bacterial, but the recall is going ahead anyway.  The doses in question were manufactured on a production line "dedicated to the Japanese market".

Link:

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/daiichi-recalling-13-lots-acthib-vax-japan/2011-03-11

And in case you are curious...

Lot numbers of products subject to recall:
E0771
E1174
E0962
E1065
E1235
E1201
G1030
E0897
E1200
E1033
E1160
E1236
G1018
-end-
Inquiries:
Sanofi Pasteur KK
Vaccine Advocacy and Public Affairs
Masumi IWAMA
Tel: 03-6301-3089
Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd.
Corporate Communication Department
Tel: 03-6225-1126

#3 of 3 Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyC View Post

The foreign substance in the ActHIB has been confirmed to be "aseptic", or non-bacterial, but the recall is going ahead anyway.  The doses in question were manufactured on a production line "dedicated to the Japanese market".

This follows reports that Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare expert panel had found no causal link between the vaccines and recent deaths, but still, even though I vax my kids, I wouldn't want one with an 'unidentified substance' in it.

------------------

Vincent Iannelli, MD

About.com Guide to Pediatrics

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page