Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vaccinations (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/)
-   -   do you vaccinate? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/1302719-do-you-vaccinate.html)

Triceratops 03-12-2011 10:04 AM

Im just wondering how many mommas vaccinate, dont vaccinate or delay vaccinate - and the effect they have seen so far. What are your reasons for your choice? What advice do you have for moms who are thinking of doing what you are doing? Just curious :]

Knitting Mama 03-12-2011 10:14 AM

We vaccinate. We have done it on a delayed and selective schedule, as I had reactions as a baby, so we wanted to make sure that if my daughter did have reactions, we'd be able to pinpoint which vaccine caused it. Thankfully, she hasn't had any.  We have skipped the ones that are mostly for babies who are around lots of other babies regularly, e.g. babies in daycare, because I am a stay at home mom. So, she is up to date save the hep vaccines.

I understand and can respect anyone's choice not to vaccinate, just as I would expect that our choice to would be respected. The bottom line is that, for us, the thought that she may get a disease that is completely devastating and incurable, like polio, outweighs any negatives to vaccination.

I would recommend that any parent who is questioning whether or not to vaccinate should do a LOT of their own research and not just go by what other people say. A great place to start is the Sears Vaccine book, but again, this is a very serious decision that should be very seriously discussed and researched.

MsFortune 03-12-2011 11:37 AM

I'm pro-science.  We vax.

Triceratops 03-12-2011 11:57 AM

me too :) its cool to see what other moms think!

Hannah32 03-12-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

Yes. Us too. 

P.J. 03-12-2011 02:07 PM

Max is 9 months and we haven't yet. We are going to do some once he is one. I am a bit embarrassed to admit I am not as well-researched as I should be. I feel so incredibly overwhelmed! Each side makes a convincing case and it's often such an embroiled argument. I feel so confused. I have the Sears vaccine book, but it is based on the American schedule and vaccines, and here in Germany they do far fewer, and use different ones and in different combinations. So a lot of the info I get from US websites or books is moot for my situation.

Our ped is a homeopath and she has her own vax schedule. I think she said when he is one year she'll do tetanus and a combo vax but I don't even remember which ones are in that. The plan is to make a special appointment and go discuss it in detail with her before he gets any shots.

Honestly, if it were up to me only I would probably not vax, or do maybe one or two or three select ones if I could be convinced. But DH was clear that no vaxing seemed too risky for his liking. We decided to wait a year, not just because our ped recommends it, but because it makes sense to let the child's natural immune system build up before injecting chemicals into his body. Plus, it gave us more time to research and learn...which I need to really get going with! redface.gif

mommariffic 03-12-2011 02:23 PM

Delaying and selective - so far DS has had 0 but that will change when he's a year old. DD has a few vaccinations we have careful chosen and she's 3.5 

I am not anti vaccine but I think there are way too many in too short of a time so that's how we made our choices. 

McGucks 03-12-2011 02:59 PM

We do.  The 1 year old ones will be given on an alternative schedule.  And our rationale?  Like PJ said, I have been so overwhelmed with all the pro and con info. out there that I haven't the vaguest idea what is the "right" thing to do, so I guess I am shooting for a middle-of-the-road approach.  So many decisions in parenting (I have a 15 year old also) are confusing and it is so hard to know what path to follow in so many areas.  Such is life, I guess.  That's my two cents on the matter.

~Demeter~ 03-12-2011 03:17 PM

We don't. I just don't feel comfortable doing so yet. I'm always researching and really in my travels have found no reason to yet. (my older 3 were completely up to date, my younger 2 have never had any) My thoughts on it? I can always choose to vaccinate but I can never undo something already done. It really is all about what works for you and yours.

As for pro-science... exactly what does that mean? To me, I'm researching scientific studies on both sides of the coin... so, um, I'm 'pro-science' too. Pro-science in that our bodies are meant to get ill and fight illnesses off. They are not meant to be filled with chemicals and other animal substances, if they were they would have been created that way. That almost sounds like a snarky response to people that don't vaccinate, like they are ruled by something other than science??

macy 03-12-2011 03:33 PM

I vaccinate. I was afraid to at first but then I read more from less biased sources and now I only worry about the slight fever and fussiness my baby experiences after her shots. I hate seeing her sick after her shots and I hate seeing her in pain getting them but I just have to remind myself that she'd be a lot more miserable if she had a vaccine preventable disease and by getting her vaccinated I'm really doing what is best for society as a whole. If I had any reason to believe she was at higher risk for a adverse reaction, however, I might feel differently.

new2this 03-12-2011 04:04 PM

We vaccinate and do it per the CDC schedule. For me I did some research and while I started out leaning more towards delayed but for us I felt it was to much to keep on top of and trying to remember. Plus DH had his share of opinion and since I couldn't convince him on reasons not to vaccinate  or even delay he wasn't really willing to budge a whole lot. Outside of a few where we won't do like flu shot and chicken pox and HPV. For me I just didn't feel this was worth a hill to die on with him...lol 

Oliver'sMom 03-12-2011 04:17 PM

This was an extremely difficult decision for me as well.  I didn't vaccinate my first son at all until he was almost 3 years old because I wanted to research as much as possible and be confident in my decision before I gave him something that "couldn't be taken away".

I researched like crazy and even studied immunology at our local university to learn how everything works.  I came to the conclusion that there is a vast amount of scientific peer reviewed research out there that supports vaccination, while on the whole, the information I found against vaccines seemed more like conspiracy theories to me.

I'm now 100% confident in my decision to vaccinate my kids.  I think all anyone can do about any parenting decision is just get informed and do what you feel is best.  There really is no one right answer for everyone. 

newmamalizzy 03-12-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

This is exactly what I was going to say, and I really don't mean it snarkily.  Trying to explain what I meant by it...I feel like the anti-vax positions are often individual, looking at the safety of a vaccine for your particular baby, while the pro-vax standpoint is more global, based on the overall positive effect that vaccines have had.  I guess that's why I think of my position as pro-science - it's impersonal, "objective," and kind of a luxury due to the fact that my baby is healthy and responds well to vaccinations.  

my kidlets and me 03-12-2011 04:38 PM

We vax as well - none of my kids have reacted to any of the routine childhood vaccines thus far.  We do not do the flu shot and we won't do Gardisil when dds get to be the age where they do that kind of thing.

MJB 03-12-2011 04:39 PM

I got my big kids fully vaxed (according to school standards) when they were 7 and 4. My 7 mo. old is not yet vaccinated but are planning to start at her next appointment (were planning to at 6 mos. but haven't made it to the ped yet!) 

annettemarie 03-12-2011 04:48 PM

Hi there! I am going to actually move this over to our Vaccination forum.

Our first three were delayed and selectively vaxed and we haven't vaccinated the last 3 (three month old twins and a three year old) although we might. For us, it's more than just a science issue; it's also a moral issue.

Jugs 03-12-2011 05:24 PM

I've taken a different approach with each child, based on where I was at at the time.

Ds1: vaxed on schedule until 6 months, at which time he had a serious neurological reaction. Two and a half years later, he was diagnosed with autism. We hadn't vaxed him since 12 months, but will be resuming vaxes soon.

Dd: unvaxed until age 3, at which point (echoing previous posters), after 5 years of exhaustive research, I do not believe there is good, credible evidence against vaccinating. She's getting most of the recommended vaxes and, so far, she has taken her vaxes like a champ.

Ds2: his birth is actually what caused me to reevaluate the decision not to vax (long story). Initially, I was going to delay until 2 or 3 years old, but ended up starting vaxes at 2 months with a delayed schedule.

Quote:
I came to the conclusion that there is a vast amount of scientific peer reviewed research out there that supports vaccination, while on the whole, the information I found against vaccines seemed more like conspiracy theories to me.

^^This. At some point it hit me, that I would have to be willing to believe the overwhelming majority of the scientific and medical community is either willfully-ignorant or in a vast conspiracy to allow harm to come to innocent children, including their own.

UnderTheMoon 03-12-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Hi there! I am going to actually move this over to our Vaccination forum.

Our first three were delayed and selectively vaxed and we haven't vaccinated the last 3 (three month old twins and a three year old) although we might. For us, it's more than just a science issue; it's also a moral issue.

I couldnt agree more, mama.  i respect my babes integrity.  when they are old enough, they can make that decision for themselves.

oaktreemama 03-12-2011 06:28 PM

We do delayed and space them out more because my son has CP. Not because any of his gazillion doctors believed it would harm him but more a just in case-based on our doctors. Our son was (knock on wood) more likely to have seizures than other children-and for myriad reasons besides any remote chance of a vax or fever reaction.

That said, our son will be fully caught up by 40 mos and we are confident in our decision.

Quote:
 I do not believe there is good, credible evidence against vaccinating. She's getting most of the recommended vaxes and, so far, she has taken her vaxes like a champ. 

This is us. No issues, no worries.

sosurreal09 03-12-2011 06:42 PM

Well my DD had very bad and painful reactions that thankfully were reversed by no longer vaxing. I wasn't going to vax, but was talked into by Drs. To me it is against what God wants and I haven't found any good reason to question Him. My DD does 100% or at least 99% better without vaxing. She has had a reaction to every vax we ever tried.

carriebft 03-12-2011 07:01 PM

We vaccinate...we have added more to our  schedule as our family has grown and we have done more research. PLus situations have changed and we also travel a lot. We have seen no ill effects. Our children are incredibly healthy. The only VPD we have seen is rotavirus (older two got it and were not vaccinated) but that was before the vaccine with my oldest. None of my kids have ever had ear infections, they do not have asthma or allergies...they have never been antibiotics, etcetc. we have had a cold here and there but that's about it.

Perdita_in_Ontario 03-12-2011 07:09 PM

We do most of the vaccinations, and on schedule. The schedule is a little different in Canada, and there is no routine hep vaccination for babies, so we don't get that one obviously. I also did a lot of reading, and talking to two epidemiologists, and I'm confident that the benefits outweigh the risks for the core vaccinations.

On advice of our Most Excellent Doctor, DH and I got flu shots this year, but DD and DS didn't. DD because she's robust and healthy and we'd rather she build up her immune system naturally in the case of something like run-of-the-mill flu. DS because he is still nursing quite a bit and will get immunity through me (which I why I got the shot).

The only vaccination I'm questioning is Chicken Pox for DS. He got a probable case of it when he was 3 months old (no idea where from) and in my mind that means a vaccination would be moot, but our doctor feels that vaccinating would strengthen his immune system against a second case. I need to check into this one more.

WildKingdom 03-12-2011 07:39 PM

Both of my children are fully vaxed according to the CDC schedule.  I am UTD on all my vaccines, including my flu shot.  So is DH.

I am also a physician.  Every doc I know with kids around my age has also fully vaxed their kids.  That's why I can't believe some of the conspiracy theories that I see about vaccination.  Am I to believe that me and my colleagues are so brainwashed that we are willing to place our children in harm's way, just to make a buck?

Lauren31 03-12-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Yep, us too!

cappuccinosmom 03-12-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

We vax as well - none of my kids have reacted to any of the routine childhood vaccines thus far.  We do not do the flu shot and we won't do Gardisil when dds get to be the age where they do that kind of thing. 

Ha, you said exactly what I was going to say.  Exactly. lol

I have yet to run across an argument against vaccines that makes sense to me, with the exception of individuals who have specific and logical reactions to specific vaxes.  I have a friend with children prone to serious allergies, and after immediate and severe reactions to vaxes in her older children, I think she is most reasonable to avoid them.  For her family and mine, the balance of risk vs. benefit falls in opposite directions.

MsFortune 03-12-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

people that don't vaccinate, like they are ruled by something other than science?

Yes.  I think they are ruled by a desire to do what they think is best for their kid, but they are not able to differentiate between objective facts and opinions, and they don't know how to weigh risks.  They are lulled into a false sense of security about VPDs because these diseases have been well managed during their lifetime.    

I don't really blame them - there is a lot of very convincing misinformation out there.

But their decisions are not science-based.  

major_mama11 03-12-2011 10:17 PM

Yes, we vax per CDC schedule. The only issues we have had were very minor: DD had a small localized reaction to one of them at 4 mos, and both kids typically had a low-grade fever and fussiness for half a day after receiving them.

Plaid Leopard 03-13-2011 03:26 AM

My 12yo was vaxed on schedule up to 4 months, received the oral polio vaccine against my wishes at 12 months, and then a tetanus shot when he was 5.

My 10yo has had one tetanus shot. My 7 and 3 yo have had no vaccines. None of my children have had any "vaccine preventable diseases", not even chicken pox. All of my children are very healthy, - just getting the occasional cold or virus which never sticks around very long. They have all been breastfed for at least 3 years. We lived in Germany for 6 years and have been the UK for over 2 years. In both countries, vaccines are recommended but none are required.

I have been reading about and researching vaccines for many years now. I may not be a scientist, but I do know how to dismiss the conspiracy theories, how to differentiate fact from opinion,  and how to understand the risks versus benefits of vaccinating vs. the risks of getting a particular disease or having complications.

P.J. 03-13-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheMoon View Post

I couldnt agree more, mama.  i respect my babes integrity.  when they are old enough, they can make that decision for themselves.

By "make the decision for themselves", I assume you mean as an adult, right? Meaning, you aren't having your kids vaxed.

Because honestly I don't see how you could expect a child to make such a decision for him or herself. I mean, I am an adult and I am struggling with this decision, it would be impossible and unfair for a child to do this research on their own and understand the implications.

UnderTheMoon 03-13-2011 06:42 AM

for me faxxing is like circumcistion.  i can't expose my babes to something so harmful without a really good reason so wehn they are older theyc an decide.  mabye when they are teens but maybe when they are adults.