Scared to death of newborn getting pertussis- anyone else? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Is the adult pertussis vaccine safe while breastfeeding??

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/prenatalcare_vaccinations.html

#32 of 37 Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

so? That doesn't prove safety. Assuming that there is no risk to infants of breastfeeding mothers who are vaccinated is still an assumption. The manufacturers do not do studies on whether or not the vaccine is passed through breastmilk and if it is what impact or effect it may have. Saying there are no known risks when you are not studying it and not looking for any effects is meaningless to me.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#33 of 37 Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I think if you are going to be afraid of every cough/cold etc, you might as well just get the DTAP shot for your baby when he is 2 months old. My brother and mother were unvaxed (I had one shot DTP and had a bad reaction so my mom stopped all shots after that) growing up. My brother and mom both had pertussis when I was in Junior High. It was literally miserable for 6 weeks. The cough caused my mom to vomit blood a few times. Nights are the worst. And the times when they are most contagious they don't have the "whooping" sound so they assumed it was just a cold.  The shot, even if it is not 100% effective at eliminating whooping cough, it DOES lesson the horrible cough that most people develop from pertussis. Because of my experience with pertussis I vaccinated DD. DTaP is MUCH different then DTP which, if I am not mistaken, is the vaccine that was linked to sids and other more serious reactions like encephalitis, etc. Besides that, can't those who are vaccinated be passing the pertussis to your kids when they think it's just a cough bc the horrible whoop is not there?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#34 of 37 Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Keep in mind that the most common time for pertussis is summer, not winter.

#35 of 37 Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Is the adult pertussis vaccine safe while breastfeeding??

Scientifically speaking, it depends on your genetics. Have you had a blood relative with Guillain Barre? You might want to think twice about it. While not "hereditary", there is a strong genetic factor of GB.

The bottom line is, (and I dont assume you don't know this :) ) what works for one might not work for another. That's a genetic, scientific, inarguable fact not subject to any moral high road, snotty comment, or subjective judgment. There is no "one size fits all" for ANYTHING in life, so anyone saying a definitive yes or no...well, anyway duh.gif. Believe in science, believe in whatever, there is no one size fits all. "Safety" is based on a general tally and not individual, which is often not taken into consideration. Reactions are not always reported, so what is safe is questionable.

I suggest you look up the ingredients from the various drug companies (available on their websites), the CDC's report on TDAP, VAERS, and other sites to give you a well rounded picture. Obviously, CDC is in the business of vaccinating, so bear that in mind. Likewise, anti vaccination sites are on the other end. However, I like to hear from people and not just statistics.

Good luck.

#36 of 37 Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's now two weeks later and myself and my newborn still have no signs of any cold or cough... would it be safe to assume at this point that whatever my dh had wasn't Pertussis? My other two kids got a slight cough and runny nose right after dh but all 3 are totally fine now.

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#37 of 37 Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Well it's now two weeks later and myself and my newborn still have no signs of any cold or cough... would it be safe to assume at this point that whatever my dh had wasn't Pertussis? My other two kids got a slight cough and runny nose right after dh but all 3 are totally fine now.

That's good! Sounds like it was a regular run of the mill cold/cough/

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Pertussis , Transmission , Vaccinations , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page