Travel and Hep A - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am seriously considerring going to Cuba.

We are unvaccinated.

Hep B and C are not overly large concerns for travel to Cuba - but Hep A is or might be.

Has anyone on this forum travelled to a place where Hep A is prevalent - and did you or did you not vaccinate?  Why or why not?

From the research I have done, it does not look like Hep A is a big deal for kids, but can be a bigger deal as you get older.  The kids are 8, 12 and 15.

Some sites say Hep A vax is recommended for Cuba - but then others say if you are staying on the resort (which we are) you are probably fine.

TBH I will probably not vaccinate.  I will, however, pick another location if Hep A is a big deal.  

Anyone have any btdt?  Cuba specific would be nice, but anywhere with a moderate or high prevalence on Hep A is welcome.

TIA!

Kathy

#2 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just got back from  the dominican republic. They rec the vaccine for travel there.

I would not vaccinate for Hep A, especially if I was staying at a resort.

The only circumstance in which I would entertain the idea if I was going to be in the peace corps or something where I knew I would be in areas where I may not have access to sanitary living conditions and clean water and untainted food.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've also been to DR a few times the past few years & to Mexico. Dh & I did not feel the need to vax for hep A particularly since we stayed primarily on the resort & I am cautious about what I eat & drink. Anecdotally, the only serious case I have personal experience with was a kid who got hep A & typhoid simultaneously and the only cases I have personal experience with were people who were visitin family or working abroad & eating in more rural areas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page