Ft. Hood and the "religious exemption" (choosing not to accept?) -- who is going through this ? Looking to log recent experiences with this post - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi --  we are have the difficulty now at Ft. Hood that I have seen posted here in the past... looks like it is the same problem others were having several years ago at Ft. Hood getting children registered at CYS for sports or childcare.

We were just at Ft. Bragg --- and did have a bit of an issue getting the exemption, but got it after my husband --- a chaplain himself had to get ANOTHER chaplain to write a letter--  and my son was thus allowed to play hockey.

Ok, well that lasted for only a few months, we got unexpected orders and now at Ft. Hood.  Of course there is not system wide cooperation/ that would be too sensible.... lol... we are on hold waiting of a "decision".  Yes, like the previous posts, we have heard different things, one of which was that they were not accepting religious exemptions but when pushed then they were trying to push back asking for info on our religion and the arguments against the vaccinations. DH has informed admin personnel and the "health nurse" that they are "not qualified" to have such a discussion on theological matters with him.  He is a senior chaplain, btw, and now it has become more than our personal fight through red tape.  If it becomes a legal battle, I will step in, though right now I am letting him handle this through military channels.  He has demanded an answer/ meeting with the person who has authority to grant the exception -- but they are apparently all in a seminar out of town this week.  So, this is not just for our personal situation but to make this right for others that may be having problems.  I would like to know who you are-- if you know others in this community (Ft. Hood) who have been adversely effected (ie not even trying to use base programs).  I am new to posting on this site, so I don't know if I can put contact info?  You can email me personally or reach my husband who would be happy to hear your situation -- and be your advocate.  His email:  gary.w.bragg@us.army.mil

#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM

We are not military, so I have zero experience there. Ft. Hood is in Texas though, and the state of Texas has a VERY broad philosophical exemption for vaccines, and it's very easy to obtain. Does that not have any bearing on your situation?

#3 of 4 Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Texas has philosophical exemptions. I was able to get one when we were at Hood in '06-'07. Like Ft. Bragg, I thought the military bases followed the law of the State they are in. I never used the base programs at Hood for my son (Ft. Bragg either since it just wasn't worth the hassle; I just went off-post for gymnastics), but I thought they would follow what Texas does. I could be totally wrong, but did you try that first?

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#4 of 4 Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Origina

We are not military, so I have zero experience there. Ft. Hood is in Texas though, and the state of Texas has a VERY broad philosophical exemption for vaccines, and it's very easy to obtain. Does that not have any bearing on your situation?

The CYS is governed by military regulation and not state law.

OP, there is another poster, at Ft. Bliss, who is having the same issue:

Here are the Army regulations which you probably already have... (and a post about getting non-vaxed dependents approved for overseas which may be interesting if not directly helpful).

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/member.php?u=51507

DODEA
[quote] http://www.dodea.edu/foia/iod/pdf/2942.pdf

DoDEA Manual 2942.0 March 2004/DoDEA Health Service Guide, DS Manual 2942.0

On page 33, Section F2 Immunizations:

"Religious — A child’s parent or guardian may claim exemption for religious
reasons. If the parent maintains the need to continue the religious exemption
during a documented outbreak of a contagious disease, the student will be
excluded from school for his or her protection and the safety of the other
students until the contagious period is over. Religious exemptions require a
written statement from the parent stating that he or she objects to the
vaccination based upon personal beliefs. "[/quote]

cubbbyaf

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=15350333#post15350333
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=15267772#post15267772

For the Dodea form:

http://www.dodea.edu/docs/forms/form_dodea2943.pdf

and...
[quote]Paragraph 3-2.b.(4) at the bottom of page 10 of

Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F:

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf

specifically states, "Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations
. As a condition of employment or attendance at these
facilities, schoolteachers, childcare center workers, volunteers, and children attending DOD–sponsored primary and
secondary schools, childcare centers, or similar facilities are administered appropriate vaccines against communicable
diseases unless already immune (based on documented receipt of vaccine series or physician–diagnosed illness) or
medically/administratively exempt. "[/quote]

ARMY

Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf
pg. 10, section 3.2, para 4 says:

[quote]In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication.[/quote]

Army Regulation 608-10

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r608_10.pdf
Child Development Services

4-6
(2) A waiver of the immunization requirement must be approved in writing by the Chief, Preventive Medicine or
health consultant. Parents must be counseled that children with waivers will be excluded from the program in the event
of vaccine preventable communicable disease outbreak.

C–37. Compliance item 15.

c. Equivalency. A waiver of immunizations signed by Chief, Preventive Medicine may be considered for religious
convictions. Parents must be counseled that the child may be excluded during an outbreak of vaccine preventable
communicable disease.

Army Dependent Exemption Memos

VACCINATION STATUS: Command Sponsorship and Dependent Travel

Originally Posted by jlk252 #19

[quote] We got declined for Japan. UPDATE

Cdr. Sal Maida, 202-762-3077, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Washington D.C

Please spread the word about this and give everyone this Cdr's info! (NAVY of course)

He said to contact him for any waiver issues.  We are so glad that we could spend some $ to get this issue resolved for other families facing teh same issue.  [/quote]

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Tags
Vaccinations , Exemption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page