We are selective/delayed vaxing. On Friday, DS1 had 2 shots - his MMR #2 & Tentanus - one in each thigh. I'm not sure which went into which leg, but his right leg is super swollen and bruised. It's hard like a big ol' spider or horsefly bite, and very itchy & sore for him (both the muscle & to the touch). It's been 5 days, how long before I get really concerned & call the doctor? Thanks for the advice.
Call Your Doctor NOW (night or day) IF your child has any ONE of the following:
- Your child looks or acts very sick.
- Age less than 12 weeks with fever above 100.4°F (38°C) rectally. (Exception: occurs within 48 hours after DTaP or Prevnar shot.)
- Fever above 105°F (40.6°C).
- High-pitched, unusual cry present for more than 1 hour.
- Crying continuously for more than 3 hours.
- Redness or red streak around the injection site bigger than 1 inch.
- Redness around the injection site persists for more than 48 hours (2 days).
Most of the pages that I found from health clinics providing vaccinations say the same. So get on the phone, Mama!
Pin your nurse down as to which vaccine she injected where. It is critically important that if at all possible this gets reported (by you or your doc) to the Vaccine Adverse Events Recording System (VAERS).